PDA

View Full Version : what should i bring when i go to labor?

babysalvador
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
i guess my question is what should i bring when the time comes that i go into labor? i am thinking of packing a bag as early as now just in case my baby decides to come out early,

what i have on my list are as follows:

toothbrush
shampoo
lotion
deodorant
robe
underwear (?)
pillow
diapers
onesies
receiving blanket
towels for me and for the baby
insurance card
driver's license
socks
some shirts and pants

i really can't think of anything else, i am not even sure if i am bringing the right stuff, and i just want to get answers from ladies here who have already gone through what i will be going through in the next few weeks,

any answers would be highly appreciated... thanks!

swrc00
06-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Here is a link to a similar thread.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=310140&highlight=hospital+packing+list

swissair81
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
bring something to do. seriously. last time I would have been lost without my books & my notebook computer. got to love hospitals with wi-fi.

diapers they should give you (unless you live in canada)
same with towels
some people bring a going home outfit for baby
(and don't forget that the nurses who are letting you leave need to see your infant car seat before you are allowed to leave with baby. don't ask about the trouble i had getting the okay to discharge a lady who decided she was walking home. it was a whole mess.)

KrisM
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Yes, bring some magazines, or a laptop or something to do. Also, I had a paper notebook so I could write down the birth story as soon as possible. Bring a cell phone. Something for your feet for the recovery room.

Momit
06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Bring maternity clothes to wear home from the hospital. You will probably not fit into your regular clothes yet.

newg
06-30-2010, 10:58 AM
you shouldn't need diapers or towels..........

if you're planning on nursing you will want to bring a nursing bra (or two) and/or a nursing tank top. and some nursing pads in case you have problems with leaking ( I can't remember if they had them at the hospital or not)

I just had DD wear the side-snap long sleeve tee's they supply at the hospital and just had a "going home" outfit for her. I plan on doing the same thing this time.

As for underwear.......I would take some that you don't mind getting messy. I went out to walmart and bought an 8 pack of Hanes, so I can keep my nice undies looking good.

Oh, and you won't really need your own pillow, unless you have a really special one. I had tons of pillows around me...almost too many! I did bring my boppy though.

Camera, Video Camera, Cell phone (and chargers/extra batteries) would be the only other things I'd make sure to bring....

Oh, and if you have any special medication.....

babysalvador
06-30-2010, 02:04 PM
oh wow i forgot the camera and batteries! i definitely want to bring that! thanks for all the response ladies!

as for the car seat, i am still doing a research on which one to get, so if anybody has any suggestions that would be really appreciated...

thanks!

swissair81
06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
as for the car seat, i am still doing a research on which one to get, so if anybody has any suggestions that would be really appreciated...

There's a thread in the carseat section with a poll- who got a graco snugride & who got a chicco keyfit & why. It's a very loaded question & everyone is very opinionated about it. http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=361376

newg
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
As far as the carseat............I think reading the threads about those two brands is a good idea. I don't think you can go wrong either way....it will really come down to what will work best for you and which one you seem to like better......

What we ended up doing was making sure we had the car seat and bases installed correctly (went to a certified car seat technician, which was a local fire fighter) and then we just kept the bases installed in the cars and and the actual carseat we kept in the babys room until we needed to head down to the hospital.

HonoluluMom
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
At the hospital I gave birth, they had a photographer come and take photos of baby. You may want to bring a nice outfit for your LO if you decide you want to take photos.

lchang25000
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Jolly ranchers or other hard candy to suck on since your mouth will get dry if you're not allowed to eat/drink much for some reason.

AnnieW625
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
i guess my question is what should i bring when the time comes that i go into labor? i am thinking of packing a bag as early as now just in case my baby decides to come out early,

what i have on my list are as follows:

toothbrush
shampoo
lotion
deodorant
robe
underwear (?)
pillow
diapers
onesies
receiving blanket
towels for me and for the baby
insurance card
driver's license
socks
some shirts and pants

i really can't think of anything else, i am not even sure if i am bringing the right stuff, and i just want to get answers from ladies here who have already gone through what i will be going through in the next few weeks,

any answers would be highly appreciated... thanks!

That's pretty much all I brought, but highly rec. bringing your own underwear. The first time I brought my Ipod, but I never ended up using it. I didn't bring any towels. The only other thing I brought that you don't have on your list is makeup, and I did use at least mascara, and lip balm each day I was in the hospital. Also bring a pair of slippers.

ewpmsw
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I always suggest shower shoes when these threads come up. DH and I brough Athlete's foot home from the hospital with our first DC.

Your wallet, or wallet items, with only things you'll need: ID, a little cash or change, insurance card.

Copies of your birth plan.

Pre-printed registration form (if your hospital does this.)

Contact lenses/solution; glasses/case.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I always suggest shower shoes when these threads come up. DH and I brough Athlete's foot home from the hospital with our first DC.

Flip flops are great for this ... and ON is having a $1 flip flop event (printable coupon only; not hard to get) on Saturday (7/3).