PDA

View Full Version : So angry - need to vent about a stupid comment

Pepper
06-29-2010, 10:02 PM
At the risk of turning this forum int Pepper's Personal Problems, I need to vent about something a family member said tonight...DH is away for a week on business and family member (FM) called to see how I was doing. FM knows that DS1 is having a really hard time with DS2's arrival and that this week has been particularly tough with Daddy away.

To paraphrase, FM said that he sympathized with me b/c "it's hard to have patience with kids that are not your biological children. You have more patience with your own kids." (Note:FM is not an adoptive parent, just a bio one. And so has no actual experience on which to base that comment).

To which I replied, that's bull-poop (except I didn't use the exact word "poop"). They ARE my kids, because I'm raising them. Who else's kids would I be raising??!?

Sorry for the rant - just feeling deeply disappointed that after almost 4 years and 2 kids, FM is still apparently very clueless about our family. Sadly, FM has a history of saying hurtful things without seeming to realize it...I wish their "filters" were a little more active.

Minnifer
06-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Ugh, what an ass. I bet he's basing that brilliant comment on his experiences w/how he feels after hanging around other people's children, which is obviously a completely different situation. I can't believe he actually implied that your kids are not your kids - OF COURSE they are, whether or not they are genetically related to you. It never ceases to amaze me how clueless, and insensitive, people can be...

swrc00
06-29-2010, 10:30 PM
How rude! Why can't people just keep their thoughts to themselves. I know how tough it is to be home with one while DH is away. I can't imagine two and then having someone calling you to check in and say that. I hope your day is better tomorrow. :hug:

crl
06-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, some people are just stupid, aren't they? Sorry you were the recipient of that particular bit of idiocy.

Catherine

gatorsmom
06-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Oh, what a jacka$$. Seriously, what would make a person even THINK that that could be accurate?

I am an adoptee, not an adoptive parent but hell, I take offense to that statement!

Good for you for defending yourself to the know-it-all idiot. :applause:

JustMe
07-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Oy vey.

Great job on the come back!