PDA

View Full Version : Is the French Twist Passe?

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 08:15 AM
OK, I'll be attending a wedding in 2 weeks (our 2nd big night out since DD arrived) and need something to do with my hair.

I hate leaving it down for formal events because I think I look less finished than if I'd done it up.

The only thing I can do reasonably well with my own hair is a French twist, which works best with a specific French twist comb ... but I haven't seen any in the places I usually shop.

This begs the question: is the French twist passe?

I thought it was a simple, elegant style that would always be in fashion ... plus, it complements the dress I'll be wearing to this wedding, so it's painful that I can't find a comb. (True, I could use hairpins, but the comb works so much better for my thick, wavy hair that I'm fairly set on getting one!)

Please help!

Melaine
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I am not the trendiest person but I vote that it's a classic. My favorite way to do it is a french twist with lots of curls coming out of the top. Oooooh I should try it with DDs.

Not sure about getting a comb, have you looked at Claire's?

infomama
06-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Not at all. The French Twist is a classic hairstyle. Google it and click on images to get some ideas.

BillK
06-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Poll needs the option of "What's Passe mean?" :p

misshollygolightly
06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Go for it! I know you can order the combs on Amazon, but you might also check your local Sally's beauty supply.

hellokitty
06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
It's classic! I can't imagine it ever going out of style, esp for formal events.

MelissaTC
06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I agree that it is a classic. I would google modern French twist for some celeb images to give you ideas if you want to update it or perhaps make it easier to do (not sure if that is possible). When I googled, images of ScarJo and Jessica Alba popped up so you know that it is definitely in. ;)

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree that it is a classic. I would google modern French twist for some celeb images to give you ideas if you want to update it or perhaps make it easier to do (not sure if that is possible). When I googled, images of ScarJo and Jessica Alba popped up so you know that it is definitely in. ;)

Honestly, it's not difficult to do even with hairpins, but the combs make it much faster.

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM

PLUS I don't know how to get the accent over the "e" in a title.

BillK
06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Ok let me rephrase - since I didn't even know there was an accent over the e.

Poll needs an option for "What's passé mean?" :bouncy:

Momof3Labs
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM

How about the last option - What's a French twist? If you know what a French twist is, but not passe, ummmm....

Carrots
06-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I love twists. Very classic.

TwinFoxes
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I like the loose updo that's been popular on the red carpet lately. It also looks like it would be easier to do yourself. I think there were some links in Elektra's post about what she should wear to the Oscars.

But if you can do it, I think French twists are classic.

BillK
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
How about the last option - What's a French twist? If you know what a French twist is, but not passe, ummmm....
It's a pastry of some sort right? ;)

elliput
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
It's a pastry of some sort right? ;)

Okay. Now you are just being a smarty pants. :tongue5:

arivecchi
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I like the loose updo that's been popular on the red carpet lately. I like the looser version as well. The typical super sleek one is a bit passe IMHO.

Fairy
06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Lizzy, in the future, can you make this not a public poll? Even light silly stuff like this I like my privacy on. I already voted and can't take it back, so just a suggestion that in the future to watch to make these polls private so that our names do not show up as to who voted for what.

TwinFoxes
06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Lizzy, in the future, can you make this not a public poll? Even light silly stuff like this I like my privacy on. I already voted and can't take it back, so just a suggestion that in the future to watch to make these polls private so that our names do not show up as to who voted for what.

I didn't even realize it was public! Is it possible to know before voting? (Although in general I don't care if people know, but there could be some exceptions).

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Sure, no problem. Can a mod edit the public option out?

SnuggleBuggles
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I did vote the prom one but I think there is a time and place for them as a grown up. I think they are classic but I would reserve them for more formal occasions.

Beth

elektra
06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the French twist is a bit prommy too. But the 80's are back sooo.....
I just know I couldn't pull it off.
It's hard to do those loose curl updos though. My hairdresser tried to twist my hair along the back (sort of side swiped) and then tried to pin up the ends. But my hair was too long and the curls didn't look right IMO.
If I was to do an updo again, instead of a French twist maybe try a loose bun (or even tight) on the side? I think anyone could pull that off and the bun is classic but the side thing makes it a little more fasion forward IMO.
I think

missym
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
I just happened to see this. Next time you might want to send one of us a PM if you need help. Thanks!

trentsmom
06-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I just got my hair done, so I asked my stylist this question. She said if the french twist is done in a way that it looks old-fashioned, then it is out. If you make it look slightly messy, use a funky clip, or have pieces of your hair pulled down around your face, then it is in.

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I just happened to see this. Next time you might want to send one of us a PM if you need help. Thanks!

Thank you!

diamond
06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
france luxe has plenty of beautiful combs at great quality--love them--

http://www.franceluxe.com/c/CombsSticks/Combs-Sticks.html