PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to go to a musical/show on the very last performance?

egoldber
06-30-2010, 09:54 AM
I am thinking of taking older DD to a show at the Kennedy Center as her birthday present. The time that works best for us and has the most tickets available is the very last performance.

Is there any reason to avoid this performance or does it matter?

infomama
06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
None that I can think of.

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Nope, don't think so. Since it's the last performance the curtain calls might be longer than usual, but that's about it.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Would you rather be closer, but to the side, or in the middle and farther back?

I've also never been to the Kennedy Center, so I am clueless. :) It's for Mary Poppins if that makes a difference.

infomama
06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
You are going to love Mary Poppins. Depend on how far back you are thinking of but I usually prefer center seats over side.

spunkybaby
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Depends on how far to the side. If not too bad, I prefer being closer. I like to see the performers' faces/expressions.

We went to the last performance of a show once--it was a lot of fun!

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
It depends, usually I like to see in the middle or farther back, depending on the show. Will there be flying? If the actors will be flying into the audience, then I'd rather sit farther back. I did once see a matinee of Lion King in an off broadway theater, and I was closer to the front, on the side, and it was still okay. I just had to turn around in my seat when all the animals went into the audience.

boolady
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Depend on how far back you are thinking of but I usually prefer center seats over side.

I have never been to the Kennedy Center, but for live theater in general, I agree and we always try to get center, even if we're back farther, or even in the front of the balcony, rather than to one side where our sight lines might be at a really strange angle.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Honestly I really have no idea LOL!!! I know very little about the performance. There is nothing available in higher seats except VERY high. I would estimate most of the way back in the middle (row BB, 28th row) vs Row W in middle of stage right.

boolady
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
It seems like about a six row difference. I just looked at the seating chart, and if it's the middle of stage right, I might do the stage right seats. Fun!

egoldber
06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, the seating chart is very nice! There is also a photo preview option. Based on the photos, I am almost convinced to do Tier 1 Row F. It seems a lot closer than Row W orchestra.

elizabethkott
06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
There's no reason to not go to a last performance of a tour... the only people to avoid in that situation is the run crew who will have a looooooong night ahead of them packing up the sets!
For Mary Poppins, she does "fly" up into the audience at the very end of the show (at least she does on Broadway!), so if you are in Tier 1 Row F like you mentioned, you'll see her fly right past you! I actually prefer to be on the balcony level rather than orchestra when watching musicals - it gives you greater "scope" of what is going on onstage. When you are too close to the stage itself, it's like your focus is directed to a smaller section of the stage, rather than giving you the opportunity to look at the whole picture, kwim? I really like the whole picture effect especially with large group numbers.
:) Have fun!!!!

pinkmomagain
06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I prefer the closer seats -- even if they are a bit to the side. With TV, movies, computers, etc. I think kids can become a bit dulled to the fact that they are watching a LIVE performance and so, IMO, the closer the better.

Enjoy! It's a fun show.

infomama
06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
For Mary Poppins, she does "fly" up into the audience at the very end of the show (at least she does on Broadway!),
:yeahthat: Saw MP off Broadway and she flew above us. Dd1 was in awe!

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Would you rather be closer, but to the side, or in the middle and farther back?

I've also never been to the Kennedy Center, so I am clueless. :) It's for Mary Poppins if that makes a difference.

Center seats definitely.

The Kennedy Center is wonderful ... I performed there in high school as part of our spring performance tour my Sophomore year.

You'll have the best view if you're in center orchestra seats. If you can't get orchestra, center balcony is fine, too.

We were in the center orchestra for the duration of the performances we did not participate in; it was awesome.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 12:03 PM
I can get center orchestra, but very far back, almost the very back. Would you prefer that or center Tier 1?

Fairy
06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
These are often the best ones, Beth, cuz the cast is hopped up on adrenalen and bittersweet excitement that it's over. You often catch the best bloopery moments, or the best performance. Have a GREAT time.

infomama
06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't think I would take those far rear seats in this case.

Fairy
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I can get center orchestra, but very far back, almost the very back. Would you prefer that or center Tier 1?

No, no no no no. I would not do this. Unless your other choice is very far to the side but close, then perhaps the back of the orchestra. But I'd not take these. Front of balcony far better.

boolady
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think I would take those far rear seats in this case.

I wouldn't either. I'd get the Tier 1.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks all!!!!! :bowdown: