PDA

View Full Version : Who would you call to fix a window?

jess_g
06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
We have an older house with older windows. Well one of the windows got blown in by a giant wind storm. My dh tried to fix it, but now it will not open or close. This realy did not bother me until now. My MIL bought a big portable air conditioner. The best room to use this thing in is the room with the brooken window (its a bedroom we don't use much). I called our handy man and he said he can't promise to fix it. So I am thinking we need someone with eperience fixing windows. Any ideas on what type of repairman to look for and how to find one?

Thanks,

Jessica.

catpagmo
06-30-2010, 03:46 PM
No BTDT advice, but could you call a window company to see who they would recommend for a repair?

ewpmsw
06-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I'd ask our insurance company for recommendations. They helped us find a contractor when we first moved in and found that some of the floor joists needed replacing.

A general contractor or carpenter may be able to fix the window. I'd also try a handyman company. (Around here, we have "Handy Andy" and "Mr. Handyman".)

Roleysmom
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Funny timing! We just replaced glass in an old window yesterday. We called a glass company that said they specialized in windows. If you look on Angie's List, there's a category called window repair (if I'm remembering correctly.) Or look under glass repair.

The company we used did it on the spot and did a great job.

Oops! I just read your post more carefully and it's the actual window that's broken and not the glass. Sorry about that! I still think on Angie's List there's a window repair category.

Indianamom2
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes! We are replacing a window as well.

You can call someone who does exteriors, which is usually a person who installs siding as well as windows.

Lowe's will install new windows (don't know if they will repair though).