PDA

View Full Version : Any safety concerns about velour/velvety sheets?

luckytwenty
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm seeing a lot of plush, velvety crib sheets. They look awesome, but I was just wondering if there's any safety issues with those? Or if babies get overheated?

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 11:24 AM
No safety issues IMO, but definitely a washing issue - velour and plush don't always wash well!!!

Neatfreak
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Do you mean the same soft material like the PBK chamois sheets? We have a fitted crib sheets, and neither kid has woken up sweaty when sleeping on it. And it washes up nicely!

keh602
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
When DD (4) was a baby, we discovered the Pottery Barn Kids chamois sheets. We LOVE it. We loved our chamois changing pad covers, and the sheet is just as good. SO soft, and we use it year-round -- now with DS. We only have the one, but I want to buy one more. BRU carries something similar now, but the reviews I've read were not quite as favorable. The PBK one just washes really, really well, has held it's shape, and is just as soft as it was when we first bought it almost 4 years ago.

luckytwenty
07-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Yes, I meant the PBK Chamois.

Glad to hear it washes well and you don't end up with sweaty kids! I think I'm going to get it. I just remember a long time ago being told to beware "plush" bedding, I think that was my concern.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes, I meant the PBK Chamois.

Glad to hear it washes well and you don't end up with sweaty kids! I think I'm going to get it. I just remember a long time ago being told to beware "plush" bedding, I think that was my concern.

I think that means stuff like the fleece blankets and such I see all.the.time. in the winter. (We don't use it in the crib, but it helped keep DD warm during our cold, wet spring!)

pastrygirl
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I try to avoid synthetic fabrics, especially with babies. I would only buy 100% cotton. But, it's not a safety issue. It's a comfort preference for me. I'm rooting out all the polyester in our wardrobes.