PDA

View Full Version : Are we crazy to drive to Fla. from Va with...

caribbeanmama
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
a 7, 5 and almost 3 year old??? My neighbor says is totally doable if we spend the night in Savannah, for example. We are spending a week in August in Orlando (doing DW) and are thinking either to drive, take the auto train or just fly.

We would fly, of course, but if the rates are just too expensive (it's 5 of us), we are considering other options...hence my question.

Has anyone taken the auto train, btw? The advantage here is that we could take our Sienna for about $300. The train leaves Va. at 4pm and arrives in Orlando at 9 am the next morning.

DH is leaning towards flying. But we have not taken a family vacation since March 2009 when we went to Atlantis and spent a small fortune there. If we could save a little on transportation then we have more $ to splurge at Disney. Any thoughts? TIA

ETA: Oh, I forgot to write in the title that we are in Northern Va. (Arlington to be exact). That makes a tad difference if we choose to drive to Fla.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
We always consider driving and then always fly. It is certainly doable to drive, but I would rather get the misery over with in a few hours vs 2 days. ;) Also, you will likely drive in late afternoon thrunderstorms in August. Of course, they could also effect flights too.

But with 5 vs 4 tickets, I dunno. The auto train is twice as expensive as flying when we have looked at it.

caribbeanmama
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Really, the auto train is twice as expensive! Yikes!!! I haven't researched it in detail yet.

DebbieJ
06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
We just drove from Chicago to Orlando with a 6 yo and a 9 mo. We drove straight through the night--figured it was easier to have the kids sleep in the car than to do 2 days of daytime driving and have to keep them entertained and have to haul out all the gear (PnP, for example) for just one night. It worked pretty well. It took us extra time with the baby, having to stop and nurse him and everything, but I would totally do it again. We have an Odyssey with the DVD player so DS1 watched movies (Disney, of course!) and we had plenty of room in back for all our things. We even came home with 11 12-packs of beer for my BIL (some kind we can't get up here) and still had plenty of room for our things. Plus we could take whatever we wanted and we packed everything in laundry baskets and plastic tubs, so it was way easier than trying to fit everything in a suitcase.

My DH is a HORRIBLE flyer so it would be like me and three kids if we flew.

And even though we stayed on property, it was nice having our own car at the parks vs managing the busses with strollers. yes, strollers--we brought one for the 6 yo and it was a lifesaver!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
the auto train is usually more expensive than flying, but in the summer Amtrak often runs specials where kids travel free.

but it's brutal sleeping on the train. Imagine spending the whole night in an airplane seat that reclines, similar to business class. If you do, make sure you check in very early so that you can get the early dinner seating, otherwise you will end up having dinner way past the kids' bedtimes. After you check in, you are stuck at the station for hours. There is an outdoor playground but it's kind of lame.

I've done it with kids and my husband did it with a whole Boy Scout troop. It's not impossible, it's just not comfortable for sleeping unless you get the bedroom and then it is way more expensive than flying. the earlier you can book amtrak, the cheaper it is. If you are just a few months from your trip, the cheap seats may all be sold out.

I would look at costs and base my decision on that. We drive from CT to FL every year for Christmas with kids and it's not so bad. we have a van with DVD player. No way I would do it without the DVD player and all the space of a van.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
it's just not comfortable for sleeping unless you get the bedroom and then it is way more expensive than flying

I was assuming you would get a sleeper room. The seats that simply recline are significantly less expensive.

ETA: We actually just priced a trip for August. :)

PMJ
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know anything about this auto-train, but DH and I did drive from Richmond to Jacksonville. Granted -- it was before we had kids. We stopped every 3-4 hrs, and it actually was not bad. We even did it during Thankgiving - so you would have thought there would have been a ton of traffic, but it was not bad.

good luck. I guess if you just keep the kiddos busy and stop frequently, it might work. (Def would save $$$). And these days, taking a plane trip is such an ordeal (delays, checking in etc) - might be better to drive anyway.

good luck !

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I've always had it suggested that you leave your home to drive overnight, that way the kids sleep in the car most of the way down and you can still plan out rest stops, etc.

We used to travel like that when I was younger. It stunk, but, then again, we were in a Taurus, not a minivan!

MissyAg94
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I drove alone with my DD (then 2.5yo) from Va to Fl. I drove during the day and we stopped in Ga for the night. Not bad at all but she is a good car traveler.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
the problem with driving all night while the kids sleep is that you arrive at your destination and the kids are well rested and ready to go, but you are tired and cranky and need a nap!

HIU8
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
I have not read all the responses. I have done the trip driving to FL at least once a year since I was about 5. I drive from Rockville to Miami. Straight through it's 19 hours. As a kid we always stopped at South of the Border for food and then further down to sleep overnight. It is totally doable.

I took the autotrain 2x so far. Both times we did not get a sleeper car, and we slept in the chairs. I was a teenager so it was ok. I don't know if I would do that with younger children (mine are 3 and 5.5 and I would get a sleeper car at this point).

egoldber
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
The other problems that we have with driving at night are 1) I can't sleep in the car, 2) I don't like to drive at night anymore (vision and glare issues), and 3) my kids are not great car sleepers anymore. They really resist going to sleep in the car.

caribbeanmama
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Here are some prices I just got for the five of us:

Amtrak Auto train:
Sleeping room w/bath, meals and cost of transporting the Sienna: $2,595
Coach, meals and Sienna (no sleeping room): $1,786

Flying: ~ $1,616

Driving: ?

So yes, the auto train with sleeping room is significantly more expensive.

Looking at the rates, the obvious choice would be to fly. I am a HORRIBLE flyer though (I get panic/anxiety attacks when I fly). I would totally drive. We have the minivan, the DVD, etc., but DH will insist in flying for sure...especially after I show him these rates.

egoldber
06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
LOL! This is why we always fly.

Can you ask your doctor for an anti anxiety med for the flight? A lot of people use them to fly.

caribbeanmama
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
The other problems that we have with driving at night are 1) I can't sleep in the car, 2) I don't like to drive at night anymore (vision and glare issues), and 3) my kids are not great car sleepers anymore. They really resist going to sleep in the car.

Same here. If we drove, it would have to be all day driving with a stop over somewhere for sleeping.

caribbeanmama
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL! This is why we always fly.

Can you ask your doctor for an anti anxiety med for the flight? A lot of people use them to fly.

THAT is NOT a bad idea:yeahthat:

Maybe I will ask him for meds:D

vonfirmath
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
No.

We will be driving TX to OH next summer with a 4-year old. (2 days)

My parents drove 3 days, TX to OH through TN when we were growing up EVERY year from when I was 4 years old to 12 years -- 2 kids, my sister is 21 months younger than me. No DVDs in the car. We drove days and had stops as necessary and did fine.

They always planned 2 days of amusement park on the way home for just us as a family. The rest was visiting grandparents in TN and OH

LarsMal
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Yikes! I didn't realize the auto train was so $$$!

We are going to WDW in October (from NoVA). Our kids will be 5, almost 4, and 18 months. As of right now we are planning on driving :dizzy:, and we'll most likely stop somewhere around Savannah. DH has mentioned the auto train, but I don't know if he has ever priced it. I would fly in a heartbeat if we didn't have to take so much cr@p!!

Long drives are not ideal, but my kids are used to driving to the Mid-West (14 hour trip) at least once a year so it's not that crazy for us to attempt this drive!

GL! If you can fly, do it!

boltfam
06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I have not read all the response. I'm from MI and many, many people I know drive down to FL from MI every year. It is definately doable. If you don't mind starting off your vacay a bit on the tired side, it's great to drive through the night. Otherwise, as you said, stop half way and spend the night. If you stopped in Savannah, you could even do some sight-seeing to break up the trip.

DietCokeLover
06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
We drive from AR to Orlando in Dec with a 2 year old and a 3 year old. Lots of DVDs and frequent stops to let them potty/ stretch their legs. But very doable.

fivi2
06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
We did a two day drive last summer with our (then) 3.5 yo twins. It wasn't terrible. We watched a lot of movies and got out as much as possible. On the way home, we did stop over somewhere else for a couple of nights to break it up, but we didn't on the way out. We left early the first morning and drove more than halfway, but still early enough to swim in the hotel pool at our stopping place. Then we left early the next morning and didn't have as far to go to reach our destination. It wasn't the best two days ever, but I would do it again!

eta: the worst part was actually that they were still new at potty training. I;d try to force them to go when we found a decent restroom, but they wouldn't, and then they'd want to go when we were in the middle of nowhere or somewhere gross/scary. That was really the only bad part!

kdeunc
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
We drove from NC to Fla with an almost 6, almost 4 and 4 month old. It really was a fairly easy trip. We figured that with three kids for 7 days we needed so much stuff it was better to drive than fly.

SunCB
06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I can do a 12.5 hr (time includes stops) to Chicago with a 1 (1st trip DD was only 9 months), 3, & 5 yo by myself in a 1 day trip or two depending on how early I get started.

I just know if I am stopping that I pack 1 bag that has our pool stuff, clothes for next day, anything extra (dipes extra undies as DS2 was potty training at the time), flat waterproof cover to put under DD at night and bathrm stuff. I do not bring anything for DD to sleep in as she just sleeps next to me. I know the 4 of us can sleep in a king w/ no probs. I also look for places w/play areas for the kids which really helped the last 2 trips (my boys know what McD's is now as we never went there before).

We did the VA to FL trip a few times when we had just DS1 and then preggo w/DS2 then when DS2 was only a couple months old.

I try to make and extra stop or 2 just to let the kids out the be free of their seats for 15-20 mins and this gives me a break too. If no play area then I try to find a rest area where they can run. I have 2 portable DVD players w/lots of movies. The kids a couple of fav toys each to play with but I have a SUV so it is not like they have a lot of space. Bring lots of snack in a variety plus drinks. Oh, do not forget the garbage can!!! Yes, I actually have a smallish garbage can that takes shopping bags so I do not have trash all over and it is where the boys can toss in their own trash.

GL

cuca_
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
We drove from NY to Orlando last April with 4 kids ages 6, 4, 2 and 6 mos. We stopped overnight once. It was not too bad, long, but not too bad, and we don't even have a DVD player in the car. Instead of driving overnight (which would not work for us for all the reasons stated by others) we leave very early in the morning (around 5am) and hope that the kids sleep for a while at the beginning of the trip.

WatchingThemGrow
06-30-2010, 03:05 PM
good to see all these replies... we were going to fly as we usually do and the SWA direct to TPA $717 tickets (for 4- one lap baby) were more than what we've paid the last few times. I didn't get them and am now regretting it. Argh. We're not good car travelers, but maybe we will just drive... I need a fare sale on SW!

ewpmsw
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I've taken Amtrak from central VA to Orlando in early September and it ended up taking 24 hours due to flooding along the way (gotta love hurricane season.) We were also delayed by passenger drama at one stop. This was before DC, and I agree with a pp, it was tough to sleep on the train. Things were clean and quiet, and other passengers were very nice company, but it was uncomfortable. I can't imagine taking little bitties on such a long trip.

When we visit Disney this year, we'll drive part-way from central VA and stay in a hotel (with a toddler and 4 month old). We're finding that hotel suites are worth the $$$ when you're traveling with little ones.

Cam&Clay
06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
We priced the auto-train and were horrified by the price. It was even MORE to come back home, believe it or not. DH ended up finding a good deal on Spirit Air from National. It'll probably be folding chairs on the wings, but at least I won't be in the van with DS2 for 2 days. I would never drive it if I could help it.

doberbrat
06-30-2010, 09:48 PM
nak I'd drive flying is such a pia

2-3x a yr we drive from boston to western nc we have since dd1 was 5w old w/3 dogs

we've done straight through both day and night, stop 1x at night and stop 2x. stopping 1x is prob easiest. driveing at night is fastest but we grownups end up trashed afterwards and dh can no longer do the long night drives.

mom2binsd
06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd drive, it makes packing so much easier (esp with the cost of luggage added on).

I drive 900 miles by myself each summer with my DC (they will be 4 & 7 this summer). We drive about 8 hours a day, stop overnight and finish the drive the next day.

If I had another driver it would be heavenly. So it's totally doable with two adults.

Smillow
06-30-2010, 11:13 PM
My son is now 16 months old. We have driven with him from VA to South FL 3X (4 months, 10 months, 13 months). The last few times we took 3 or 4 days to drive one way. He is so mobile now & I just don't have the heart to keep him cooped up in a car seat for that many hours. The first time @ 4 months, we drove 14 hours the first day & only made it to St. Augustine (I tried pumping & feeding him a bottle while we were driving, but he would have none of it!)
With older kids, I would just make sure they had lots of new books, games, etc. & stop @ rest areas & let them run!
It can be done. ANd it is cheaper than flying!