PDA

View Full Version : Seriously lady?

infomama
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
I was next to a lady at a light who had a bumper sticker hanging in her rear window that read , "abortion causes breast cancer". How about reading the warning on the box of cigs your reaching into for a more accurate view of the world. Seriously I get having convictions but come on....

arivecchi
06-30-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked031.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

mommylamb
06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the train of thought is in that... maybe I'm being too rational... is it because of studies that show that breastfeeding correlates to lower breast cancer rates, therefore requiring a baby??

It's kind of funny that she was smoking.

infomama
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the train of thought is in that... maybe I'm being too rational... is it because of studies that show that breastfeeding correlates to lower breast cancer rates, therefore requiring a baby??

Ya. I doubt there was much rational thought put into that message. More like a scare tactic I suppose.

JTsMom
06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Maybe it's playing off of breast cancer awareness? Either that, or maybe the idea is it will make people wonder, and it will stick in their heads. Just guessing.

lizzywednesday
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Ya. I doubt there was much rational thought put into that message. More like a scare tactic I suppose.

Scare tactic based on a study that used correlation between women who'd been diagnosed w/breast cancer and who also had had abortions.

When your life changes with the words "you have cancer", you kind of grasp at straws looking for something to blame. In these women's cases, the writers of the study blamed the abortions.

Again, it's a correlational relationship not a causational relationship and it's bunk.

That said, stickers like those tick me off.

ThreeofUs
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
You know, this is a myth that keeps circling. It gets so tiring.

Here's the American Cancer Society's page on it:
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/MoreInformation/is-abortion-linked-to-breast-cancer-

arivecchi
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Is it just me or are some bumper stickers kinda childish but simultaneously scary? If I see a car covered in bumper stickers I always think something is wrong with the occupant(s). It's a reflex. I stay away. :shrug:

mommylamb
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Is it just me or are some bumper stickers kinda childish but simultaneously scary? If I see a car covered in bumper stickers I always think something is wrong with the occupant(s). It's a reflex. I stay away. :shrug:

I totally agree. Even when the bumper stickers are things I agree with. There is something about bumper stickers that the nuts all flock to, I swear. I never put them on my car... wouldn't want my tires slashed by someone with an opposing bumper sticker.

infomama
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
When your life changes with the words "you have cancer", you kind of grasp at straws looking for something to blame.
No offense Liz but this sounds a little patronizing to me. I just lost my FIL to cancer three weeks ago, my MIL is a breast cancer survivor, both of my young cousins have retinoblastoma. I know first hand how cancer changes lives. Maybe this is lost in translation and I am totally off but this is my impression of your response.

glbb35
06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Bumper stickers and even license plates crack me up and make me roll my eyes. I saw the other day a woman in a mini van w/several kids inside and her license plate said something (I don't remember exactly as I dumbfounded someone would post this) It either said "VBAC MAx2" or "VBACx2" I tried to think what else it could mean but with three kids in the car it kind of made sense. But grossed me out. Maybe my next license plate will read "vaginalx4" :)

:) B

ds 03. 06 and twins 09

ThreeofUs
06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
When your life changes with the words "you have cancer", you kind of grasp at straws looking for something to blame. In these women's cases, the writers of the study blamed the abortions.

Again, it's a correlational relationship not a causational relationship and it's bunk.

Okay, wait. Let's be very careful about our language here because many pieces of this are sensitive.

The problem is not correlation vs causation. The problem with the studies that showed a possible link was bias - specifically, reporting bias b/c (according to the ACS and a LOT of other researchers, as listed on the ACS page I posted) women with cancer tend to report more of their health history than healthy women. Specifically, according to research, many healthy women want no part of reporting abortions. This skewed the results enough - because one group did not report and the other did - that in the initial studies researchers thought there was a relationship between the two.

Subsequent studies, world-wide, that addressed this methodological problem found no link. That is, the relationship disappeared when the researchers corrected their methodology. In study after study, including meta-studies looking across the field, no link has been established.

Specifics, as well as links to the original and subsequent research, are available in the page I referenced.

Really HTH.

Fairy
06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Bumper stickers and even license plates crack me up and make me roll my eyes. I saw the other day a woman in a mini van w/several kids inside and her license plate said something (I don't remember exactly as I dumbfounded someone would post this) It either said "VBAC MAx2" or "VBACx2" I tried to think what else it could mean but with three kids in the car it kind of made sense. But grossed me out. Maybe my next license plate will read "vaginalx4" :)

:) B

ds 03. 06 and twins 09

:hysterical:

On the OP ... are. you. kidding? Whoa. I just don't even know what to say about that. Holy wow.

glbb35
06-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Fairy, I am totally serious. Scouts honor! I swear on my kids... It was real!

I laugh thinking about the prisoner who had to make the plate. Did he/she know what it meant? What did the people at DMV say when she registered it? They obviously did not know what she meant :) I told my OB/GYN when I saw him. He wasn't too surprised. He said that many docs have strange ones like "eggdr" and "IVFdr" "endodr" "eyesurg" "bonebrkr" (ortho surgeon) He said he did not advertise. He didn't want to get caught up in an emergency situation.

Just think of all the entertainment provided by funny plates and stickers. I am proud to say my car is pretty much advertisement free. I bet we could come up with good ones from the people off this site. DH and I saw one last night that said "stick1t"

whatever floats your boat I say...
B :)

ewpmsw
06-30-2010, 09:25 PM
The "Abortion Causes Breast Cancer" folks have shown up at our local Komen Race for the Cure. Their group stood on the sidewalk for two blocks holding huge signs with photos of cut up fetuses. The ones holding the signs were mostly children and teens. It would be an understatement to say that people participating in the race/walk were angry about their presence. Most of the comments I heard were along the lines of, "That's not appropriate here, today", only a lot more emotional.

The group has a right to freedom of speech. They have a right to their opinions and the right to demonstrate where it's legally allowed. I can't say I approve of their message or the way they chose to deliver it the day I saw them - It disgusted me - but they were exercising their rights. It's a shame that they piggybacked on the emotion of a day designed to celebrate lives of survivors and victims of breast cancer. Bet a lot of race participants checked out their website later that day to see WTH it was all about.

dukie41181
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
there is something about bumper stickers that the nuts all flock to, i swear.

:rotflmao:

dukie41181
06-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe my next license plate will read "vaginalx4" :)

:rotflmao: :hysterical:

This thread is crackin' me up and keeping me quite entertained tonight!

infomama
07-01-2010, 06:12 AM
The group has a right to freedom of speech. They have a right to their opinions and the right to demonstrate where it's legally allowed.
This post is not about her rights and I know The Constitution very well, thank you. This BP was about her information and her message. Anti war protesters have the 'right' to protest at soldiers funerals but that doesn't make it right, now does it. No.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
No offense Liz but this sounds a little patronizing to me. I just lost my FIL to cancer three weeks ago, my MIL is a breast cancer survivor, both of my young cousins have retinoblastoma. I know first hand how cancer changes lives. Maybe this is lost in translation and I am totally off but this is my impression of your response.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I apologize for the way I wrote it.

I'm friends with a number of survivors myself & should be more aware of how cancer impacts different people differently.

Rereading my post, it is patronizing the way I wrote it.

And the subsequent post from Ivy actually exposes my ignorance about the study itself ... so I stand chastened and corrected.

infomama
07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss and I apologize for the way I wrote it.

I'm friends with a number of survivors myself & should be more aware of how cancer impacts different people differently.

Rereading my post, it is patronizing the way I wrote it.

And the subsequent post from Ivy actually exposes my ignorance about the study itself ... so I stand chastened and corrected.
Thank you, Liz.

ewpmsw
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
This post is not about her rights and I know The Constitution very well, thank you. This BP was about her information and her message. Anti war protesters have the 'right' to protest at soldiers funerals but that doesn't make it right, now does it. No.

I'm sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention. In the OP, it said, "Seriously I get having convictions but come on...." and I thought I was responding to that. My line of thinking was that the bumper sticker and misinformation it spreads is offensive, on top of what I've seen from this group, and it's hard to accept. It didn't come off well and I apologize for getting on my soapbox.