PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse review...NO SPOILERS

bluestarfish18
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Let me start off by saying that waking up at 3:15am to see a sunrise screening was a really bad idea...now where's my triple espresso?

The movie was pretty good..better that the other 2. But really, who the heck cares when the proposal and tent scenes are amazing?!

I'm seriously considering getting a full size cutout of Edward.

swissair81
06-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Is it worth seeing? I love the books, but the first 2 movies left much to be desired.

bluestarfish18
06-30-2010, 02:33 PM
IMO, the series' movie versions will always left something to be desired. I felt that too much was crammed into 2 hours, and too much effort was spent on the technical aspect (as David Slade is more a technical director), than the actual emotion of the book.

Kristen Stewart was terrible and her wig was even worse.

Rob Pattinson was....hot! But his acting chops were better than the others.

I would recommend seeing it to those who are involved in the series.

I'd give it a B+ for the action scenes, and a B overall.

catroddick
06-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah- I did the 12:01 showing, which put me in bed at 3:15 this morning. I'm feeling it now.

Funny- I so completely buy into what I'm watching, and dont even bother to look for issues. One of my friend's mentioned Kristen's wig on the drive home, and I was surprised. Didn't even notice. Overall- I feel like the styling is really getting better on all the characters (other than the wig issue, apparently).

Let's face it- I go in to a movie to loose myself and enjoy it. I dont go in critical. It did seem like there were a lot of things they could have gone further into- there is just so much going on in that book. But it's already a 2hr 15 min. movie, so what can you do?

lchang25000
06-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Can't wait to see it even though I know I'll prob. be a bit disappointed as usual. Loved the book! Team Jacob! *drool*

Twoboos
06-30-2010, 06:48 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but plan to in the next week or so.

I have always thought KS is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E, like barely watchable.

And if she has a wig, it will be the ONLY thing I see. That's always how I am with wigs. I spent an entire season of The Soprano's saying, "WTH is going on with Carmella's hair??" before I found out Edie Falco had cancer. Oops.

kristac
06-30-2010, 07:34 PM
OK- how sad is it that I thought all of the count downs on FB were for a real lunar eclipse ? MUST GET OUT MORE....

catroddick
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
OK- how sad is it that I thought all of the count downs on FB were for a real lunar eclipse ? MUST GET OUT MORE....

:hysterical: LOVE it!!

emily_gracesmama
06-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Agreed it is better than previous ones. My friend is a writer and took us to her advance screening on Monday evening. Kristen Stewart bothers me and the wig is bad and did anyone else notice how badly Dakota fanning needed an eyebrow wax. Seriously in her close ups it's all we saw!! They r getting bigger budgets which is translating into better films but I don't think films ever really touch the books ever.

Carrots
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I will see it eventually. However, since reading Twilight, I have read all the Sookie books and am watching Trueblood. IMO, once you go "Sookie", you can't go back. :)

KS acting was horrible in the first 2, so I am not expecting much from 3. I also thought RP's acting is horrid and I hope he steps it up for "Water for Elephants". Love Taylor Lautner.

Melaine
07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Well, last night I finally dragged DH to Eclipse. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. I love the books. I liked movie #1 ok. I LOVED movie #2. I just thought it was such a better translation into film and very true to the book. I had high hopes for movie #3. I some liked it, don't get me wrong, and I will probably buy the Bluray because I'm still a fan, but I didn't love it. I have several complaints and some inconsistencies between the films annoyed me. I don't care who directed them, they should have planned better.

swissair81
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I think the problem with the movie is that a lot of the books are feelings & thoughts, not actually spoken words. This translates badly on the screen. They end up making up dialogue or putting words into the characters' mouths that just aren't right.

Tanya
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Dh has not read the books, but I've dragged him to the last two movies (we saw the 1st on DVD). He said that if the 1st movie had been as good as the 3rd, he would have been interested in reading the books.

I really enjoyed the 3rd movie. I thought the first two were pretty bad. KS is not a good actress, but dh thought she might have taken some lessons or something for the latest movie. He thought the 3rd movie was also better because there was more action. Anyway, I was just surprised to come out liking it. Maybe my expectations were lower?

I did notice KS's hair, but I didn't think about it being a wig. It just bugged me throughout the movie though. Now that makes sense.

I really love the books and it's like I can't NOT see the movies. So, I'm relieved that this last one was soooooo much better. It seemed worth going to and cheapo me even paid full price at night!

maybeebaby08
07-09-2010, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=. It seemed worth going to and cheapo me even paid full price at night![/QUOTE]

But did you sneak in your own snacks? :ROTFLMAO:

I think I'm going to go see it tonight with a friend, I had to watch the first one about 5 times before I could actually watch it the whole way through. I thought the 2nd one was better, so I have a little hope for 3rd being better. I can't stand Kristen Stewart, it's a shame that with a better actress could have made the movie that much better.

Tanya
07-09-2010, 03:22 PM
But did you sneak in your own snacks? :ROTFLMAO:

I think I'm going to go see it tonight with a friend, I had to watch the first one about 5 times before I could actually watch it the whole way through. I thought the 2nd one was better, so I have a little hope for 3rd being better. I can't stand Kristen Stewart, it's a shame that with a better actress could have made the movie that much better.

Ha ha! Yes and no. I snuck in some $1 Milk Duds for dh, but we also bought a small popcorn and a large soda. And I had a $1 off coupon for the concessions.
I told dh that since we didn't have the kids with us, I had room in my purse for his candy. He usually doesn't get anything because the prices are so high when we know we can get movie size candy for $1 at Walgreens. I always buy a popcorn and soft drink, but for the kids, I sneak in chocolate milk boxes and various ziplocks of candy or snacks. When DD2 was a baby and we went to the free summer movies, I'd take in some oatmeal or something for her and a sippy of water, etc. My kids don't drink soft drinks and the last time I asked for a cup of water, they gave me this tiny "complimentary" cup of ice and I had to go fill it with drinking fountain water. It's just safer (spill-wise) and easier to just stick a couple milk boxes in my purse. My mom always sticks a small bowl in her purse to give DD1 popcorn so that we don't have so many hands going into the bag. Sometimes I miss carrying a diaper bag.

I bought the 2nd movie for $1.99 (had a coupon) and I watched it recently and actually enjoyed it more than I did in the theater.

wellyes
07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't think Kristin Stewart is that bad.... I kinda like the way she makes absolutely no attempt to be adorable or cute. I remembered her from Panic Room.

But really, who the heck cares when the proposal and tent scenes are amazing?!

Am I the only whose mind goes to a dirty place at the term "tent scene"? OK, just checking.

lchang25000
07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Finally going to go see it tom. so I'm frantically trying to finish reading the book for the 2nd time since I don't remember much fom reading it for the first time 1.5 years ago. Hubby refuses to go with me...ugh! Thank goodness for girlfriends!

DrSally
07-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I prob won't be able to see until it hits DVD. No way in he## I would ever get DH to go either.

ETA: When I see the trailers, I figured KS must have a wig on since she's still growing out her hair from the Runaways. There are times even in the trailers where it loos too poofy/frizzy.

maybeebaby08
07-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Just got back from the movies! It was way better the I expected, a nice surprise. Kristen Stewart actually acted the part well in this one, her wig didn't bother me much except at the end it seemed too girly for her. I was looking at Dakota Fanning s eyebrows though. Her part I can't get past her still being a child actor, doesn't fit for me. But I m so glad I saw it in the theaters it was a good way to spend a Friday night