PDA

View Full Version : Crib Quilt - Yes or No?

dukie41181
06-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I am about to place an order for bedding for daughter #2's crib. My husband and I are in disagreement about the quilt. I want to buy the quilt that matches the bumper but he sees no value in it since daughter #1 (16 months old) has NEVER seen her quilt. I do see his point about spending $50 on a quilt that will never be used, but at the same time I do want daughter #2 to have the same as daughter #1. What do you all think?

arivecchi
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I skipped many things with DS2 because I knew they would get no use. I have never used either quilt, so I would say skip it. :tongue5:

ElspethCordelia
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I would not buy one. It would be a waste of money.

WolfpackMom
06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I bought one, but it is being used as a wall hanging, Im not sure that I would buy another for a second child. http://images.landofnod.com/is/image/LandOfNod/NatureQuiltSWTCH?$sharelarge$

I do have other quilts that DS uses to play on the floor etc but those were made for him as gifts and I know my mom will make future children their own quilts so they each have one special.

happymom
06-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I would not worry about DC2 having everythnig DC1 had. You have lived and learned. If it won't get used, don't buy it!

Katigre
06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I would skip the quilt - I didn't guy a crib set with either child and am glad I didn't - waste of $$ IMO!

YouAreTheFocus
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
I'd say get it if you want it, not just so DDs have the same stuff. Like a PP, I also got one from Land of Nod and am using it as a wall hanging. It was important to me to have the matching set, and I don't regret the splurge!

Roni
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I vote no. Spend the money on something else.

sunnyside
06-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I didn't get a bedding set at all. I skipped the crib quilt and bumpers. My baby's room is adorable (not to brag LOL), and I don't think it looks like it's missing anything. I'd totally skip the quilt.

citymama
06-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I vote no. Spend the money on something else.

:yeahthat: unless you are saving the quilts for posterity, she'll never even know.

swissair81
06-30-2010, 09:24 PM
No reason. Buy a few crib sheets & maybe a fleece blankie & some receiving blankets to swaddle in. I never use a bumper either. If I did, it would be that breathable one.

WatchingThemGrow
06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
nobody in our family has ever had a bedding set - or a bumper, just some solid sheets and a crib skirt to cover the hardware under the mattress. Spend the money, instead on a nice Grobag!

arivecchi
06-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh, get a Little Giraffe blanket! Heaven on Earth.

http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Little-Giraffe-Blanket-Chenille__LGCHBKTWT2.aspx

Our kids love theirs. We use them a lot in the car so they sleep all snuggled up in them in their car seats.

newg
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
DD has a quilt made by my mom, but that's it. She used it to play on/tummy time when she was little and I've started putting it in her bed for sleeping.

I'd say if you don't ever see yourself actually using it, then skip it. I just had crib sheets and a breathable bumper in DD's crib......and I plan on doing the same thing for this next DD.

swissair81
06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Oh, get a Little Giraffe blanket! Heaven on Earth.

http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Little-Giraffe-Blanket-Chenille__LGCHBKTWT2.aspx

Our kids love theirs. We use them a lot in the car so they sleep all snuggled up in them in their car seats.

or Ally Zabbas http://www.allyzabba.com/. Each one of my kids have one & I have a Mega Zabba for me. It's delicious.

SnuggleBuggles
06-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Nope, waste of money.

Beth

LadyPeter
07-01-2010, 07:00 AM
It's nice that you want things to be fair, but truly...not getting DC2 a material item you have found to be useless does NOT mean that you aren't as excited, or that you aren't giving just as much love, etc. It just means you are more experienced now.

luckytwenty
07-01-2010, 07:22 AM
I used my kids as wall hangings, never to sleep with. I doubt they would have felt left out if I didn't though.

dukie41181
07-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I know you are all right...and appreciate the reframe from not being fair and loving equally to being more experienced...that helps me a lot! I know is just my issue that I want to be sensitive to. First time around we got a whole bedding set but this time we are buying things seperately (because they are offered that way and long ago I bought the bumper that I was in love with and couldn't use on daughter #1's round crib). I wouldn't buy a whole set again yet have found myself practically doing that piecemeal!

BabyBearsMom
07-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I skipped the quilt with DD. My Mom always tells me "being fair isn't giving each kid the same things. It is meeting each child's needs equally." I don't have a second child yet, but I think those are good words to live by.