PDA

View Full Version : The coating on my new KitchenAid paddle is chipping...

happymom
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
DH bought me a KitchenAid mixer for my birthday in May. :applause:

The second time I used it, the mixer got stuck (the paddle had shifted to an awkward angle somehow) and when I managed to "unstuck" it,I noticed some of the white coating on the paddle had chipped. Disappointing.

I've used it several times since then and I noticed today that the coating is chipped in several places. I'm surprised because I really expected better quality from Kitchenaid.

I am planning on calling them of course. DH says to ask for an all metal paddle, not one with coating.

Anyone have this experience before? I'm wondering what to expect when I call customer service.

The mixer was purchased at BB&B so worst case scenario, I can return it there and get a different one I guess. I'd rather not have to deal with hasssle though.

Thanks!

pastrygirl
06-30-2010, 06:43 PM
That's exactly why I prefer the all-metal one. Did you put it in the dishwasher by any chance? They are handwash only.

You can adjust the bowl so that the paddle fits correctly. Different mixer models have different instructions -- check your manual. I've had to do it a couple of times with my mixers.

trales
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Same thing here. I bought a new paddle from Kitchen Aid.

Smillow
06-30-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't have the mixer, but I have bought a the kitchen aid can opener (manual) and an ice cream scoop & was disappointed in the quality of both of them. I actually bought 2 can openers - the first one broke in half & the second sort of collapsed on itself. THe ice cream scoop's finish started coming off. And we don't have a dishwasher.

happymom
07-01-2010, 12:22 AM
That's exactly why I prefer the all-metal one. Did you put it in the dishwasher by any chance? They are handwash only.

You can adjust the bowl so that the paddle fits correctly. Different mixer models have different instructions -- check your manual. I've had to do it a couple of times with my mixers.

Nope, never put in dishwasher. I didn't know about adjusting the bowl. Thanks for mentioning it. I will check the manual.

Same thing here. I bought a new paddle from Kitchen Aid.

I was kinda hoping they would stand behind their product and replace it for free. Its brand new!! Not to mention, the coating that chipped off was likely consumed by someone in this family! Ugh.

I don't have the mixer, but I have bought a the kitchen aid can opener (manual) and an ice cream scoop & was disappointed in the quality of both of them. I actually bought 2 can openers - the first one broke in half & the second sort of collapsed on itself. THe ice cream scoop's finish started coming off. And we don't have a dishwasher.

I think KitchenAid might have a cheaper line of items. If I remember correctly, walmart sells a lot of KitchenAid utensils for cheap.

I was always under the impression that their stand mixer is in a a quality league of its own. People have their KA mixers for 50 years! Unless the quality has changed....that's certainly a possibility.

Anyways, I will try to call tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens!

dhano923
07-01-2010, 01:16 AM
If the paddle shifted, it sounds like it wasn't attached properly. With mine, I have to use a little force to get it to "lock" in place. You should probably adjust the bowl too -- the paddle should not be touching the bottom of the bowl. I know my manual specifically pointed that out. I think it would be nice for KA to replace the paddle, but I wouldn't insist on it if it was user error.

happymom
07-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Update:

I checked the manual to see about adjusting the bowl...when ir ead the instructions, it hit me that I HAD adjusted it before using! My memory is so bad these days its scary sometimes!

Anyways, I noticed that the beater IS hitting the bottom of the bowl in one spot even though the bowl was adjusted to the lowest point possible. It clears the bottom almost the whole time, except for this one spot which is obviously the problem.

I called KitchenAid and they said to fax/email the receipt and they will ship me out a brand new mixer! They will include a return shipping label and I will ship them mine when i receive the new one.

I was very pleased and impressed with the customer service. :thumbsup: