PDA

View Full Version : Failed 1hr Glucose Screen!

ecofem
06-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Hi there!

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my 2nd DS. With my first pregnancy, I passed the 1 hour screen with no problems. I just found out today that I failed the 1 hour screen this time.

I know that most folks typically are cleared after the 3 hour screen. I'm really not looking forward to doing the 3 hour screen since I get woozy with the 1 hour screens and am generally not great when having blood drawn. (whine, whine - I know!)

Any words of wisdom? Thoughts on preparing for the 3 hour screen? I don't think I currently eat terribly... but I will admit that I am not on my "A" game like I was with my first pregnancy - very stressful job right now, etc. etc.

Thanks!

pantrygirl
06-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Hugs.

I failed my 1 hr as well but passed my 3 hr.
I will say that I was a wreck when I heard I failed the 1 hr.

The best thing I can say is try to bring someone with you for the 3 hr that can keep you distracted and make you laugh and take your mind off drinking that yucky stuff and worry about the test results.

Hugs.

citymama
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
do a search for glucose test here - a few of us posted similar posts recently. i also failed the 1 hr test but then passed the 3 hr test by a mile! i guess there are a lot of false positives on the test.

make sure you have a snack ready to eat after your 3 hr test and a ride home. i was starving after the test!!! dont stress out about it and GL!

ewpmsw
06-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Only thing I can add is to make that a protein snack, as per my midwife's advice. Helped me with the woozy, icky feeling after my 1 hour tests. Good luck!

Summerdaze
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow, this brings back memories!

As far as the test goes…Take some good reading or company with you! Do you know if they’ll test you hourly(fasting/1 hr/2 hr/3 hr) after the disgusting drink? That’s what I had to do, so I couldn’t really go anywhere while I waited. They let me drink water, thankfully. Take a balanced snack (protein/carb) to eat when you are finished and plan on a delicious meal afterward! It makes the process a little more bearable. I felt so loopy afterward, I had my dad drive me to the restaurant (DH had just started a new job, couldn’t be at the appt). AND just because you failed the 1hr doesn’t mean you’ll fail the 3 hr!

Last summer I had a similar situation! I failed the 3 hr test at 14 weeks. But, I had a high risk pregnancy (age, higher beginning weight, family history of diabetes, some uterine bleeding) and OB had me do the test after an elevated sugar in my urine. I was scared…didn’t think my eating choices were out of control…and I learned that they weren’t. The placenta was just doing its job protecting the fetus, making my body respond to any kind of carbohydrate in a wonky way. And boy did it go wonky for me!! But that can be another time if necessary:)

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!!

swissair81
06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't even know what they do for the 3 hour screen. I am usually hypoglycemic. I must be one of the only weirdos who tests under the norm.

MamaMolly
07-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Try not to panic. If you search the Lounge you'll probably find my post with the same title! :) Just like you I passed the 1 hour and failed the one hour with DD2. Oddly enough we were overseas when I was pregnant with DD1 and they had me do a 3 hour test anyway. I passed but it was so icky. The glucose makes me vomit *every* time.

Most recently, for the second test they actually had me take home a blood glucose meter and test my blood three times a day, *exactly* two hours after each meal. I came back the next day and it was fine. Every time I went back for a check up they tested it again. Every time it was well within normal.

THere is a current trend that the traditional tests aren't very healthy period, and especially during pregnancy, and that they aren't as accurate as they could be. I didn't love poking myself for the blood test but I HATED the 3 hour test. It might be worth your while to discuss testing options with your OB.

happymom
07-01-2010, 12:38 AM
I know how you feel because I have BTDT.

I went alone to the 3 hour test. They drew blood, gave me the drink, and drew blood again. After that second blood test, I really felt like I was going to pass out. DH came and brought me a pillow. They allowed me to go out to my car- I put back the seat and just closed my eyes until the feeling passed. I thought it would get worse each time they drew blood, but I actually started feeling better! I had a laptop with me and there was WIFI so I just sat in the car and went online...

I dont know if youre experience will be anything like mine, but Iecommend bringing a pillow and a book just in case!

Best of luck!

swissair81
07-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Try not to panic. If you search the Lounge you'll probably find my post with the same title! :) Just like you I passed the 1 hour and failed the one hour with DD2. Oddly enough we were overseas when I was pregnant with DD1 and they had me do a 3 hour test anyway. I passed but it was so icky. The glucose makes me vomit *every* time.

There is a NIH study about using jelly beans instead of glucola for the glucose test. My Dr was totally cool when I asked about it (as long as I brought in a copy of the study). The whole office thought I was hilarious. They kept referring to my 'jelly bean test'.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 08:09 AM
There is a NIH study about using jelly beans instead of glucola for the glucose test. My Dr was totally cool when I asked about it (as long as I brought in a copy of the study). The whole office thought I was hilarious. They kept referring to my 'jelly bean test'.

A friend of mine also used a high-carb breakfast for her 1 hour screen.

IDK where she got the research, but I may ask for something like that for my next kid because I nearly puked up the glucola for my initial 1 hour screen (9 weeks; started pgcy overweight) ... and just hated it the 2nd 1 hour screen (28 wks) ... I lucked out and passed both screens, but, for someone who cannot STAND orange soda, the orange flavor glucola (that tasted of sugar and dye - and WHY must it have DYE in it?) was THE worst.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 10:26 AM
The orange is bad. For anyone who hasn't taken their gtt yet & is interested in the jellybean study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561636

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
The orange is bad. For anyone who hasn't taken their gtt yet & is interested in the jellybean study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561636

If they send you to a lab for a blood draw, do you have to fight harder for alternate testing methods?

swissair81
07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
If they send you to a lab for a blood draw, do you have to fight harder for alternate testing methods?

Do they usually administer the glucola? Or does the doctor give it to you to drink in advance? In any case, I don't see why not. If your doctor wanted, he/she could write for a blood draw one hour past jelly bean consumption. The lab doesn't tell him what to do. They just follow dr's orders.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Do they usually administer the glucola? Or does the doctor give it to you to drink in advance? In any case, I don't see why not. If your doctor wanted, he/she could write for a blood draw one hour past jelly bean consumption. The lab doesn't tell him what to do. They just follow dr's orders.

The lab gives the glucola. (And the one that's most convenient for me only has orange. Ew.)

swissair81
07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
The lab gives the glucola. (And the one that's most convenient for me only has orange. Ew.)

The most important thing is to first find a doctor who is amenable to it.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
The most important thing is to first find a doctor who is amenable to it.

I'm going to be changing practices for my regular gyn care this month. (The old practice is 45 minutes away with traffic now that we've moved.)

Thank you for reminding me this should be on my list of questions for the docs so I don't have to face the "flat orange soda" with my next pregnancy.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
If you're asking about that already, you might as well ask about their philosophy of labor & birth as well. No reason to be surprised, if you can do your research now.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
If you're asking about that already, you might as well ask about their philosophy of labor & birth as well. No reason to be surprised, if you can do your research now.

My next would ideally be a VBAC so I need to ask about that anyway.

liamsmom
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM

I have a friend who couldn't keep the orange stuff down, so the doc gave her jelly beans to eat instead. At my OB office, I was given the orange stuff as soon as I arrived at the office, then had my check up, then had to wait around for the hour to be up to get my blood drawn at the lab downstairs. There's no way I could wait 3 + hours in a doctor's office--I'd lose my mind.

I know these tests are standard, but does anyone know the reasoning behind them? Has anyone here outright refused the test? I never understood why they just wouldn't check my blood sugar levels at various appointments.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I have a friend who couldn't keep the orange stuff down, so the doc gave her jelly beans to eat instead. At my OB office, I was given the orange stuff as soon as I arrived at the office, then had my check up, then had to wait around for the hour to be up to get my blood drawn at the lab downstairs. There's no way I could wait 3 + hours in a doctor's office--I'd lose my mind.

I know these tests are standard, but does anyone know the reasoning behind them? Has anyone here outright refused the test? I never understood why they just wouldn't check my blood sugar levels at various appointments.

there are some providers who might not mind, others might not want to be your care provider if you refuse. that is their right. if they don't feel that you are following their advice, they don't have to want the 'liabilities' of treating you. i actually told my dr that i don't want the glucose test. his response was- too bad. that is from a person whose blood sugar is usually on the lower side. the norm in the US is 60-140. On my gtt with ds, my result was 61. With my current pregnancy it was 57. Whoopee!

the reasoning behind them is to prevent fetal deaths associated with gestational diabetes. does it work? henci goer doesn't believe so- http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

AnnieW625
07-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I must be the odd one out because this time the orange flavored soda didn't taste all that bad compared to the drink I had with DD1 (don't recall if it was orange or not, but it was nasty!). I fasted for 8 hrs. before starting at bedtime the night before the test. I went into the lab first thing at 7 am. The first hour was tough because I couldn't drink anything, but I had my ipod and some needlework to keep me busy. After the first hour I was told I could drink water. I was actually done in a little over 2 hrs., which was good. Just bring an ipod, book, or handiwork and you'll do fine.

ebjw
07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
I was sure I was going to pass out from the 3 hour test. Surprisingly, I felt even better than I felt when I took the one hour test. I heard from some people that they nearly passed out, were super shakey, had to lay down in the office, etc and still ended up passing it.

daisymommy
07-03-2010, 10:02 PM
There is a high false positive result with this test
The body already has a difficult time processing the higher load of sugar that the placenta is dealing it, and drinking all that processed sugar just sends it over the edge, even if there is nothing wrong with you at all.
The worst thing you can do is to just sit down and not walk around, which is what the body needs to burn it off. This adds to the false positive.
My midwife's office has patients drink a small bottle of Welch's white grape juice, and test with that instead. Not only is it more natural for the body, but it won't make you sick.
Listening to all these stories of what doctor's are doing to pregnant women's bodies really scares me. It can't be good for you or the baby.

nicoleandjackson
07-07-2010, 03:17 PM
(((HUGS))) mama. I just got the phone call that I failed my 1hr. by 7 points (147 instead of 140). I had passed with flying colors when pg with DS, so I am just so irritated. I am waiting to hear back from the office for permission to do a fasting glucose test in lieu of the 3hr challenge. Here's hoping.

Also, the lab offered a lemon-lime flavor in addition to orange which was MUCH easier to get down.

citymama
07-07-2010, 03:27 PM
So OP, how did it go with the 3 hr test? Hope all is well!

ecofem
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi Ladies:

I have not actually taken the 3 hour test... yet. I have my doc appointment tomorrow, and they will give me the order then.

I plan on doing some whining........................ not that it will do me any good, I suspect.

I will see how badly I 'failed' the 1 hour test and see what the doc says.

I'll let you know how the whining goes.... and the test. I will probably take it Monday morn and get the darn thing out of the way ---- grr.

Thank you ladies for your great responses and support. I'll let you all know how it goes.

liamsmom
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I will see how badly I 'failed' the 1 hour test and see what the doc says.

:yeahthat: FYI, Some doc offices use a limit of 130, while others use 140. I was lucky that mine uses 140 as the limit since I just made it at 137. Good luck!

ecofem
07-08-2010, 06:28 PM
OK I had a 142... so I failed by 2 points and my whining had no effect - it's off to the 3 hour screen for me in a couple of days!