PDA

View Full Version : The New Wonder Woman

BabyMine
06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Why do people mess with something that wasn't broken? I don't like it. I still remember Linda Carter.

Yay or Nay?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38023857/ns/today-books/?gt1=43001

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/TODAY/Sections/aWIRE%20stories/2010/06%20-%20June/2010-06-30T185858Z_01_LOA02_RTRIDSP_3_PEOPLE-WONDERWOMAN.grid-4x2.JPG

infomama
06-30-2010, 07:06 PM
boo...i don't like it at all. She looks dark now not like an all American Wonder Woman. I can see if they would have tweaked her original costume a *little* but this is too much.

rlu
06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
They successfully rebooted BSG and Star Trek, and Batman in the movies, but I've heard the reboots in the comic world don't generally take. I wasn't ever that into comics beyond Archie and the Roadrunner comics though so can't speak knowledgably on the topic.

As infomama says, I would have tweaked the costume a bit, but not done away with the symbolism as much as they have. Technically still has the stars on blue and some red, but the overall flag look is gone gone gone. And they completely changed her backstory.

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I actually like it. I was a HUGE fan of the show, esp. the WWII episodes. But I think they make a good point. She was essentially dressed in a strapless swimsuit. How could she fight bad guys in an outfit like that? I thought she was more credible on Paradise Island than in the United States:p I think the edgier look is better for a superhero. And I hope they make her actually use her brains a little more.

ETA: why does she have to look all American? It made sense during the war, when she was fighting for the allies. Sort of. But isn't a superhero supposed to be fighting for world peace in general?

bubbaray
06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I like it better. The original Wonder Woman looked like Madonna. Pointy boobs anyone?

liamsmom
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
The original Wonder Woman looked like Madonna. Pointy boobs anyone?
:hysterical: I remember watching an interview with Lynda Carter and she said she had a lot of reservations/anxiety about wearing that costume with the pointy boobs.

I don't care what Wonder Woman wears. She'll always be awesome to me. :superhero:

MamaMolly
06-30-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm waaaaay too partial to Linda Carter as Wonder Woman to like any idea of a new and improved WW. I have the entire series on DVD and DD1 has watched them with me. I was seriously considering doing a WW birthday party for DD this year but I figured she'd be the only kid there to 'get' it.

As for the all American look? I dunno, but heck the theme song goes: 'Fighting for your rights, in your satin tights, and the old Red White and Blue!' As a little girl of the 1970s I personally loved that she was clever, pretty *and* could kick butt. I think the new WW is also pretty but in a dark way. I don't think that is necessary or particularly appealing. Why couldn't the new one be a little more covered and in brighter colors?

marie
06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
i agree that it's too dark. my mom wouldn't have bought me the corresponding underoos to this version of WW, like she did the original - in 1978. :tongue5:

vludmilla
06-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Ick. I don't like it at all.

fivi2
07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Wasn't she an Amazon (or from somewhere that wasn't America?)

I don't know. I don't have a deep connection to Wonder Woman. But with all re-boots, sometimes it seems like they should just come up with a new character instead of claiming to base it on something and then making huge changes.

maestramommy
07-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Wasn't she an Amazon (or from somewhere that wasn't America?)

Yes, she was. And Amazons are dark. And warriors. Here's a wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons

It's funny someone brought up the starter song. I never listened to the words until I was a grownup, and when I did I was totally:hysterical: It was so cheesy!

hellokitty
07-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Hmm, I don't really care for her new look. She looks like a villain, not a super hero.