PDA

View Full Version : Aldi Produce - is it just me?

WatchingThemGrow
06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I was so excited to stop at Aldi this weekend on our way home from vacation. We scraped together some cash, as my aunt told me a while back hers only takes cash, and we went in... The prices were so cheap, and the place was so plain. The produce was SO cheap! We go $20 worth of stuff, and I've been cutting and prepping stuff to eat for several days. None of it is yummy. The corn was so bad I couldn't eat it. The cantaloupe had a funny taste to it. Maybe the tomatoes were okay, but...what's the deal with it?

What do you buy there that you really like?

DrSally
06-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I've heard the cheesesticks are good. I've bought the prepared frozen entrees and haven't been impressed with those. I usually get their toys and such. I don't get a lot of food there b/c I'm not sure about their cross-contamination allergen labelling, and there's no website/email/phone number to inquire (you have to write them a physical letter with questions).

boltfam
06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
The fresh pineapple at ours is really good, and I generally have not had a problem with their produce. Once, we bought some mushrooms and later noticed they were moldy. DS took them back and they gave us new mushrooms plus our $ back.

DebbieJ
07-01-2010, 01:30 AM
The produce is hit or miss for sure. I buy lots of staples there--canned beans, tortillas, milk (hormone free!), orange juice, frozen pizzas, sugar, tortilla chips--but usually get most of my produce at Costco or at another local independent grocery store that has fabulous prices.

I have a friend whose kids have lots of food allergies and they can't get anything there.