PDA

View Full Version : Tell me all about H Mart

jess_g
07-01-2010, 06:35 AM
A woman at my son's ot class had some unusual foods and said she got them at H Mart. Can someone tell me what this store is? And what kind of foods they sell? I am always looking for new things my kids will eat. Is the store like a smaller Whole Foods?

Thanks

Jessica

maestramommy
07-01-2010, 06:48 AM
There is an H Mart in Burlington, MA. It is a Korean supermarket. It's large, about the size of a mainstream supermarket, and has produce, meat, a deli, all the foods you would normally find, just Korean/Asian. The deli is pretty amazing, it has a ton of different kinds of Kimchee and pickled seaweed. There is also an Asian/European style bakery, and a small food court with Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian vendors. I went there once and was totally nostalgic for SoCal. I can't wait to go there again, but it's a trek for me.

hellokitty
07-01-2010, 10:50 PM
There is an H Mart in Burlington, MA. It is a Korean supermarket. It's large, about the size of a mainstream supermarket, and has produce, meat, a deli, all the foods you would normally find, just Korean/Asian. The deli is pretty amazing, it has a ton of different kinds of Kimchee and pickled seaweed. There is also an Asian/European style bakery, and a small food court with Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian vendors. I went there once and was totally nostalgic for SoCal. I can't wait to go there again, but it's a trek for me.

Lol, Melinda I was just thinking about you the other day. We will be visiting my brother on the east coast later on this month and they have an H-mart. It is going to be on my list of, "places to see." Kind of lame, but after hearing so much about it, I really, really want to go. I need to stock up on a few snacks and stuff anyway during our trip there (we're staying at a hotel with a kitchenette).

melonpan
07-02-2010, 12:17 AM
yes, this is a korean market but they also sell a limited amount of very basic "american" items. ive been to quite a few different ones and i can say that they also tailor the asian groceries depending on region.

if there is a small japanese local population, they will carry more japanese basic items and snacks. if there are more filipinos they will carry more filipino items, a lot of chinese in the area? more chinese and so on. i have also seen a strong goya presence in areas that had a lot of latinos living near by.

some hmarts are better than others: some have a full on food court with bakeries, korean fried chicken stands and drink bars, others dont. some have got a little minimall set up going with bookstores, bedding stores, etc. some have separate housewares dept, some dont.

do i sound like ive been to a lot? yeap. love hmart.

i used to live near 3. now i live near none. kind of sucks. i really love hmarts produce; its almost always very good.

melonpan
07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
and the burlington is one of the newest in the states. i have a friend in boston and told her about it. when i visit her i will make a trip out to see it!

jess_g
07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. Its the Burlington one I am thinking of. I think I will stop in there to check it out next time I am over at the mall. Sounds like it will be a fun place to shop and try some new things.

Jessica

lvhkitty
07-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm in Chicago and the one is Niles (north suburb) is outstanding. I wish I lived closer.

The produce is amazing - wide selection of everything (Japanese, Chinese, Italian, regular eggplants) with great prices. Plus it lasts for quite a while!

You can get 3-4 bags of produce and pay less than $10.

Since I became a Mom I haven't been there.

The one in Aurora isn't as good.