PDA

View Full Version : School assigning homework over summer vacation- I'm p!ssed

kep
07-01-2010, 07:13 AM
DS1 just finished up 1st grade. We have been out for the year since June 15th. The next school year begins August 30th. It's common knowledge that our (private) school sends home summer packets of work that have to be completed and turned in at the beginning of the next school year. Looking through the packet for 2nd grade, this is not stuff that he knows already, but things that are actually a tiny bit above his current knowledge level. AKA, requiring lots of parental help.

Think that instead of-

+11

He has a page of this-

+20

Not necessarily out of DS's scope or abilities, but not something he has covered before. The packet is around 25 pages, front and back, worksheet style, covering all subjects.

Okay, I can deal with the packet, I knew it was coming, we can do several pages at one sitting and get it done fairly quickly. However, the new teacher has also requested that the kids journal daily. Not much, just somewhere around 3 sentences with correct spelling, punctuation, and good handwriting. Ugh! We can't get the journal work "out of the way" because it has to be daily.

What this has done is basically taken all of the relaxation of out the long lazy days of summer, and now put me into the position of having to have daily battles with DS. He does a fine job once he begins, but getting him to sit down and start takes considerable effort. I am not a huge fan of large amounts of homework to begin with, and to have our (short) summer being sucked up with so much school work seems really unfair to me. I'm irritated.

Does anyone else's school do this? Summer is so short anyway. It just seems unnecessary. I get the reasoning behind it, but seriously. :irked:

Cheburashka
07-01-2010, 07:47 AM
My youngest sister had to do something like that with the journaling thing when she was in elementary. What my parents did was have her quickly write down something fun she did that day on a notepad before dinner, then on the weekends, my mom or dad would sit down with her and help her write her journal entries. Like she'd write down "went to dance camp", then over the weekend mom and dad would help her turn it into a short paragraph: "I went to dance camp with my sister. She drove me. She played the Beach Boys with the windows down. I hid. Then we had class together. We danced to Hilary Duff."

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2010, 08:20 AM
That reminds me that they never did send ds1's summer packet home. I was one of the only parents to show up to that curriculum night and I read through the packet. At our school, it is optional. If the kids do it they get a prize. We didn't do it last year. Ds1 complained that he didn't get the prize but I reminded him that it had been his choice.

I think that your journal requirements stink. My ds1 just finished 2nd grade and their journals were allowed to have phonetic spellings still. They didn't expect perfection- just getting ideas down. That's how a journal should be, imo.

Beth

Gracemom
07-01-2010, 08:28 AM
My DD just finished first grade too (public school). We weren't given any explicit homework that we will need to turn in, but we were told to keep up her reading at least 20 min/day (no prob there) and encourage her to write. I found some great writing sheets at the dollar store. They have a fun question at the top, and a space to draw a picture then about 8 lines under for the answer. My daughter did one that asked, "What if your pet was a superhero?" She loved it and it did not feel like "work." I like to journal so I've been trying to sit down with DD while we both journal. We've had a busy summer though and have not done it consistently. I do want my DD to write more though because that is an area she needs help in.

I think those math problems are a bit much. My DD's class has done ones like the first set but not like the 2nd. I do think it's good to practice some over the summer so that they don't lose skills, but they shouldn't be given work that is harder than what they've done during the year, IMO.

I agree that kids need a break during the summer. They should still read, write and do some enrichment activities so they don't lose all their skills, but they should still have plenty of time to just be kids! They get enough academic pressure during the year, and it's only going to get worse as they get older!

egoldber
07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Wow. I've never heard of something that extensive. Honestly, I would e-mail the teacher and complain. Say you will journal weekly, but not daily. Or even tell her you won't do it at all. ;)

FWIW, our school did not send home anything between first and second grades.

bnme
07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
We have summer homework and I actually like it. It gives me an 'excuse' to make the kids do some work. It is not required, though. They just say something like 'bring it in to show your teacher'. Maybe they get something if they complete it. They also have a reading log.

I do not and would not force it and make it a negative. Even if it was required. The daily log seems like overkill. I would do it maybe once a week or so. And I would try and make it fun and not let on that I thought it was annoying.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 08:36 AM
My dd's (private) school sends home age appropriate packets for the summer. The activities are on a bingo board & they get a prize everytime they finish a line. They get a bigger prize for the whole page. I think there are 2 or 3 pages. It's definitely not homework though. My DD also finished first grade & I wouldn't appreciate having to teach her new material over the summer. I don't mind reviewing, so she doesn't fall behind though.

fedoragirl
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I think journalling a few sentences a day is completely reasonable, especially for a private school since they set the bar higher than public schools. Although, I wish they would assign summer packets for public school students, as well. I understand that summer is a holiday but it's a very long holiday and kids forget their basic skills. If they don't practice, they don't get ahead.
As a child, I was never assigned a summer packet, but my parents actually made one up for me. They would email my teachers and ask for a general overview for the next grade. I would read books, write reflections, and my mom would correct them.
A child's reading and writing shouldn't be relegated to the school year...it's something s/he will need their entire life, so I think a parent should take a HUGE responsibility regarding that.

JBaxter
07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I think daily journals for a 1st - 2nd grader is nuts. Weekly ...ok math sheets ok but summer is vacation not school time. There is alot of other learning to be done.

We do public school and we did get a packet sent home with review material from the year Nathan just finished K so we got basic math and sight words.

Ceepa
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I would have DC do the worksheets and then journal every few days or more often if he feels like it, but not daily. I also would be frustrated but would try to make the assignments work in our summer schedule.

Octobermommy
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Anything required daily is not appropriate during the summer IMO. Weekly should be doable but I wouldn't push daily. Summer work ( if any) should be reviews not new work.

WolfpackMom
07-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Anything required daily is not appropriate during the summer IMO. Weekly should be doable but I wouldn't push daily. Summer work ( if any) should be reviews not new work.
:yeahthat:

Im all for prepping for the next year by practicing the previous grade's lessons and sure, trying new things to advance your child if he or she is ready and everyone is comfortable with it (not requiring new lessons). I think reading and practicing writing and math etc should be encouraged. BUT, daily journaling, especially at that age, is WAY over the top.

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, if this is the first of your DC to attend this school and it is the norm, I would be inclined to find a way to make it fun and just give feedback where you feel it is appropriate. I wouldn't be the defiant parent just yet, esp. when it's a learning issue. Fundraising or politics, maybe...

Make a list of a bunch of really fun open-ended topics - exactly like what he'd be doing in class - but cooler.. Have him help come up with some. As a K-3 teacher, reading their journals was one of my FAVORITE rewards. They are HILARIOUS and insightful, esp. at that age. I copied some over the years as I wanted those memories to last forever. Some ideas to start:
- I would love to spend a day at Uncle ______'s house so I could _________ - my favorite three things about grandpa are - If mom told me to make dinner tonight - for my next birthday I'd like to - The most boring thing for me is when - when I was younger, I remember.... - my most favorite toy ever is - the coolest thing our family has ever done was - if i go to a nice restaurant - when it is dark outside - I would love to help (a neighbor) with their _____ - some people I'd like to get to know more at school next year are - I could help out around the house more by - my favorite clothes are -

Well, you get the idea. you could even write the starter/idea at the top of the page and just let him pick one that interests him each day. You can get to know so much about your child's thoughts this way. In fact, I may try to find an empty notebook around here and do it with DD. She needs to get more drawing practice. More than that, though, I think she will appreciate the intellectual stimulation and be more ready for the next step in school.

brittone2
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm a HSing parent so take it fwiw. If you are going to have DC do the packet, can you do things like:

write some problems w/ sidwalk chalk in the driveway and have DC complete them there? (more fun than sitting at a desk). My 6 yo likes doing "driveway math" as we call it LOL.

I don't know if this is acceptable but sometimes DS and I also work together and I allow him to dictate the answer to math problems for me. SOmetimes he's not in the mood to write but if we are working on math, I don't mind writing in the answers for him. I would note at the top of the page that DC dictated the answers to you. (we do a lot of mental math stuff...not sure what strategy your DC would use to complete the problems...that may not work for you).

Maybe those aren't acceptable but they are things I would consider. However, I don't have a DC in public school.

elizabethkott
07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
A friend just posted on FB that her daughter was sent home a list of FORTY-SEVEN books to read before the start of school in September.
This is a public school.
And the grade?
Kindergarten. :duh:

WolfpackMom
07-01-2010, 09:31 AM
A friend just posted on FB that her daughter was sent home a list of FORTY-SEVEN books to read before the start of school in September.
This is a public school.
And the grade?

Were those "suggested reading" or required? I know they often send suggestions. How would they really know anyways if they had been read? Goodness

jenmcadams
07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
We don't get summer homework at all. We do the summer reading program from the library (try to enforce reading at least 30 min per day) and do the occasional workbook (we're using the Brainquest ones for 3rd grade for my rising 3rd grade DD and the 1st grade one for my rising K DS (mainly b/c he's been reading for a while).

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting something daily...that would annoy me.

Also, the second math problem seems a little advanced for an average entering 2nd grader...my DD could do it pretty easily, but she also just tested GT for math and finished learning all of the multiplication tables in 2nd (not typical here ... we normally don't teach them until 3rd) as part of an enrichment unit. I don't actually think she's a math genius :), but she's definitely above average...

kep
07-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Wow. I've never heard of something that extensive. Honestly, I would e-mail the teacher and complain. Say you will journal weekly, but not daily. Or even tell her you won't do it at all. ;)

FWIW, our school did not send home anything between first and second grades.

See, I would LOVE to do this, but the homework packet is not optional. In fact, the packet & journal count for a significant portion of their grade first quarter.

I would have NO problem with a weekly journal. I love stuff like that. I just don't like having to do something every day. Takes the fun out of it.

bubbaray
07-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Another vote for no summer homework for us this summer. I will be signing DD#1 up for a reading program through the Library. She is taking 4 weeks of French camp, which includes 2 hours daily of French lessons. Three other weeks of regular summer camp with just fun activities. I have 2 Grade 1 workbooks for her to complete, she's 1/2 way through one.

OP, I think with private school, you have to expect this. JMHO.

bnme
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
See, I would LOVE to do this, but the homework packet is not optional. In fact, the packet & journal count for a significant portion of their grade first quarter.

I would have NO problem with a weekly journal. I love stuff like that. I just don't like having to do something every day. Takes the fun out of it.

Wow, are grade are not really thatspecefic yet. Well in first anyway. For example, they were not graded on homework and were not penalized if it was not done.

rlu
07-01-2010, 02:25 PM
DS is going into 1st. No official homework packet sent home, however his K teacher did send home a list of things to consider doing. She also spoke with us about working on his fine motor skills as he finds writing and coloring (in the lines) difficult. Reflecting on K when he talks to other people, DS consistently mentions liking the "morning work" so I found some workbooks (mostly Dollar Store finds) and each morning he does two pages (four sides) of morning work - one page is writing the alphabet, the other rotates between math, time, and coloring. Some days DS complains but most days DS just does the work while waiting for breakfast. As far as the alphabet, we're on W/X today, so next week we'll start using the flash cards he has been making with the 100 sight words his teacher sent home - I'll have him read the word and then write it down (probably 5 a day, these range from the word "a" to "tomorrow"). I have this as an excel spreadsheet if anyone wants to make their own flashcards, just pm me.

DS reads a book a day outloud to us (the 1st level of the beginning reader books similar to Dick and Jane) and then he writes the title in a journal he picked out for this purpose. (I also count these towards the reading program the library is running, he gets a book after reading 15 books - Borders is also running a similar program). We then read him however many books he wants before bedtime. My hope is that as his writing improves he will find it less work and we can start adding a short summary of each book, but right now I just want to keep him writing without it being a chore. We still have concerns about dyslexia and the school will test in the fall if the teacher recommends it.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
For anyone who wishes that they had some activities for over the summer:

many public libraries have some kind of summer reading program. i signed up dd & she loves it.

Borders books (and probably other bookstores) has a whole section of grade appropriate activity books. It's like coloring/activity books for the elementary school set.

Borders also has some kind of book reading contest. If your child reads 10 books & you fill in all the titles they read & sign that they read it, they can get a free book. I bought my dd a whole bunch of Magic Tree House books & she's on number 5 already (and she just finished school 6/16).

07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
This is a public school.
And the grade?

They do something similar in our district but they are all books that the kids should have had read to them in preschool or at home in their 3s and 4s. I don't think its too outrageous to want kids to have some exposure to PD Eastman and Dr Seuss, Madeline or Caps for Sale before they start kindergarten.

I'm not a big fan of homework in the primary grades so I wouldn't be happy if I were in the OPs situation.

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Grades in 1st grade? I just can't seem to care that much about them so I would really personally think hard about whether it matters to get an A in first grade...or if a B or C is ok if it means not having to do the packet. :)

Did you choose this school b/c it is academically rigorous?

Beth

maestramommy
07-01-2010, 04:55 PM

It's part of their first quarter grade?? Okay, that's just plain ridiculous. In elementary school, of all things! What if you just moved in a week before school started? Would you be SOL?

katydid1971
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Don't worry so much about it. I know that there isn't a college in America that looks at a student's 2nd grade report card so if the first report card is bad, big deal. I use to teach first grade and have mixed feelings on homework. When I taught I got as many complaints from parents that there was too much homework as not enough home work. If I were you I would do what you want, what you feel like and not sweat the rest. The teacher really can't judge a student down for something like this, what about new students. If you find that next school year you are having problems with the packet not being complete enough for her, take it to the principal. I bet that the writing everyday assignment came from a complaint that they didn't give enough homework and I'm sure she really isn't looking forward to grading all those journals. I bet come fall this won't really be that big of a deal.

kep
07-01-2010, 06:22 PM
It's part of their first quarter grade?? Okay, that's just plain ridiculous. In elementary school, of all things! What if you just moved in a week before school started? Would you be SOL?

We didn't have to do it last year (going into 1st) because we were new to the school then. There isn't a huge focus on grades at this age, but I don't want DS to start the year off already behind. The school itself is excellent, it's a religous 1-8th grades school, with one class per grade. The school is very close-knit, in a good way. ;). I have heard the 2nd grade teacher is more challenging than the 1st grade teacher was, so we will just see how the year goes. The school is very balanced with it's approach to teaching and learning. In addition to the basics, the kids also have rotating electives each week, such as PE, art, music, library, and Spanish. DS loves it.

For what it's worth, we are in NoVa in an excellent public school district.

Globetrotter
07-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Summer is the time for them to have some down time. I think it would be reasonable to have a bit of REVIEW so they don't forget things. I can imagine that is a problem for kids after summer break, but maybe an hour a week max. However, I feel there are so many other ways and things to learn.. like hands on activities, rather than the dreaded worksheets.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 06:59 AM
So does he flunk first grade is he doesn't do it? I'm being totally serious. I would e-mail her, tell her he is really resisting and you feel like it is undermining his love of learning. You will do what you can, but you will not turn it into a battle. Or you can just do what most of the parents will do, which is just do it when they can and not even mention it. I find that I always over stress about stuff like this more than other parents. :o

Not much, just somewhere around 3 sentences with correct spelling, punctuation, and good handwriting.

This is also not really developmentally appropriate for this age. Kids this age are still working on these skills. So unless she wants YOU to do all the work or the sentences to be things like "I have a cat." he is not likely to be able to do that, at least not if he is trying to expand his vocabulary.

Frankly, this is homework for the parent NOT for the child. And it sure will make her life easier as a second grade teacher if the parent teaches them second grade material all summer. Like a PP said, I can see working on skills to not let them completely lapse over the summer, but this really does seem excessive.

maestramommy
07-02-2010, 07:12 AM
We didn't have to do it last year (going into 1st) because we were new to the school then.

For what it's worth, we are in NoVa in an excellent public school district.

Egad, so it's usually required for going into 1st grade as well? Did you choose this school for the religious aspect? I wonder what the requirements for public school are.

Anyhoo, just to say I think we share your irritation and "huh??" :hug5:

egoldber
07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I wonder what the requirements for public school are.

I believe we live in the OP's district and there is no summer homework like this in elementary. I sometimes wish there was more than there is so they could do less review time in the fall, but I prefer that to having so much homework in the summer!

Between grades 1 and 2, they asked kids to do the library summer reading program and the first grade teacher sent home a few math skills worksheets they could do if they wanted. The school also had a "write us a postcard over the summer and you'll get a popsicle after school starts" kind of program. But at that grade, we don't even know who the teacher will be until the week before school starts in August, so the incoming teacher can't assign homework like that. Last year before third grade they asked us to teach the kids their times tables up to 12x12.

g-mama
07-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Last year before third grade they asked us to teach the kids their times tables up to 12x12.

Yikes!!! My ds learned mutiplication tables in the winter of 3rd grade (same district as you). Can not imagine they expected the parents to teach an entire unit of math over the summer rather than leave it for the teacher to teach. Seriously? We were given nothing over the summer, other than the (optional) summer reading program.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Well, we were told to practice them. She knew most, but not all of them when school started. Some kids in her class had them mastered, some kids struggled. It was all fine. :) But they really spent no time in class learning their times tables this year. They took assessments and timed quizzes, but she said no class time.

ETA: I got a multiplication workbook and we did a couple pages a day in August.

rlu
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Never mind, I found her!

Anyone that wants the sight words for K/1 just send me an email as I can't attach to a pm.

marit
07-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I think different private schools subscribe to different philosophies. If it were a public school I'd be pissed, but if you chose an extreme academically private school than that's to be expected.

My DD goes to private as well, and she did get a math packet for the summer, not nearly like yours...

The good thing is, since it is private, you're can and should voice your opinion.