PDA

View Full Version : What did you serve for dinner this week?

hillview
07-01-2010, 11:26 AM
This is not in the what's cooking section b/c it isn't recipes -- just wondering what folks are eating (I am focused on this right now).

Monday -- quesadilla with cheese and fruit
Tuesday -- Tomato soup & yogurt
Wednesday -- Tacos & yogurt
Thursday -- planning chicken pot pies

Thanks
/hillary

caleymama
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Monday - ordered pizza
Tuesday - grilled venison tenderloin, swiss chard (from the garden), homemade macaroni salad
Wednesday - homemade pasta (tagliatelle) with tomato sauce for DDs and I and olive oil/garlic scape (from neighbor's garden)/fresh basil (from our garden) for DH
Thursday - no idea yet
Friday - no idea yet

athompson
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Monday-Bell & Evans chicken strips with salad & fruit
Tuesday-Chicken Strata w/tomatoes and mushrooms
Wednesday-Whole wheat pasta w/tomatoes, chicken & pesto, steamed carrots and fresh rasberries & pineapple
Thursday-DH is golfing tonight so we'll probably have cereal and broccoli;)
Friday-Maybe I'll make your awesome taco pie!

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
M- upside down fettucine bake -OAMC, squash, zuchinni (cooked for us - raw for them- untouched), salad
T-chicken apple sausages, yucky corn on cob from Aldi, fusili from TJ, salad
W-lemon something Mahi Mahi - OAMC, elbow macaroni w/parmesan, grilled chard from CSA, can of peas :)
Th- gotta go dig in the freezer plus CSA green beans, cucumber raita probably
F- something OAMC MIL will bring over and pop in the oven while she babysits!!!! (I'm so excited to know she's coming in advance! I rarely know more than 3 hours in advance, so I don't prepare myself well.)

zoestargrove
07-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Monday, pasta with bacon and spinach
Tuesday, we ate out - salad and crab cakes
Wednesday, we emptied the fridge -left over corn on the cob, raw carrots, garden salad, egg sandwiches, yogurt
Thursday, bbq at friends house
Friday, roast chicken with quinoa and salad

bubbaray
07-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Monday -- rotisserie chicken & corn on the cob, some other veggie? Potato salad (were supposed to go to a soccer wind-up picnic, got rained out)
Tuesday -- can't remember. Veal cutlets? gag. It was something german DH picked up.
Wednesday -- hamburgers
Today -- no idea, its a holiday here. Probably something red and white for dessert at least.
Friday -- no idea

khalloc
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Sun - broiled haddock, rice, broccoli
Mon - fish sticks, brocolli, rice
Tues - beef stir fry with broccoli - kids eat it separate, so steak, broccoli, rice. without the stirfry sauce stuff.
Wed - chicken, broccoli & Annie's pasta for kids, DH and I had chicken tacos with homemade verde salsa
Thurs - some chicken stir-fry recipe.

We eat alot of steamed broccoli, as you can see!

Twoboos
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Mon: Grilled chicken breasts, veg of some kind, rice
Tues: Apparently American Chop Suey, lol! Pasta/Ground beef/Sauce, veg
Wed: Pork and Bok Choy stirfry w/add'l veggies and rice.
Thu: Roasted chicken breast, mashed potatoes, sauteed green beans
Fri: Unknown at this point!

daisymommy
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
(M) Tortellini, basil and tomato pasta salad, French bread, green salad.
(T) Tacos with black beans and rice
(W) Chinese chicken salad
Tonight will be: grilled steak kabobs with grilled veggies
(F) Homemade pizza night
(SA) Homemade Panini's and Summer fruit
(SU) BBQ Chicken and Hamburgers for 4th of July

ILoveLucy
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Monday--Grilled steaks, salad, homemade rolls, and blueberries with Greek yogurt
Tuesday--DH brought home BBQ from a great local place
Wednesday--Club sandwiches, raw veggies and dip, and watermelon and honeydew
Thursday--Planning grilled chicken, salad, homemade rolls, and mixed fresh fruit--odds and ends of whatever fruit is in the fridge
Friday--We're cooking out with friends at their house

almostamom
07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm trying hard not to use the oven too much, so our meals reflect that:

Mon - Lentil soup
Tues - Chicken Chow Mein with Rice
Wed - Macaroni with fresh tomato sauce (from our garden), salad, meatballs
Thurs - White chicken chili (Paula Deen's recipe)
Fri - Maybe pot roast (in the crockpot)
Sat - Tacos (w/leftover pot roast)
Sun - Not sure. We're supposed to celebrate my dad's bday, but we just found out he might be out of town.

Linda

m448
07-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm huge and pregnant so I'm not even up for cleaning the kitchen, much less messing it up. I did make breakfast for dinner last night. I cubed up new potatoes and sliced up a bunch of onions then tossed them on a baking sheet with salt, pepper and olive oil. Roasted for an hour at 450 then fried up some eggs to serve on top.

Today I'm making eggplant south of the border with white rice. It's a total craving for me and delicious too.

Later this week we'll have italian sausage and pepper sandwiches, chicken tikka masala over rice.

shawnandangel
07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Monday - Left over spaghetti and homemade sauce from Sunday
Tuesday - we had Taco Bell - chicken tacos fiesta style
Wed- veggie salad, steak, baked red potatos, grilled corn on cob *MIL B-day*
Thurs - Grilling out with the neighbors - hamburgers and veggies
Friday - I'm thinking I'll make BLT's since the CSA gave us bacon this week.

happymom
07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
OK, you guys are all making me salivate here! I can't believe the gourmet cooking you all do!

Here's what we ate this week...and it was a good week...

Sunday: two-tone meatloaf (turkey and beef) from the freezer with roasted potatoes

Monday: Greek salad with baked potato on the side

Tuesday: Chicken guacomole in pitas with fresh salad on the side

Wednesday: chicken patties (used chicken from the big pot of chicken soup I made that day), rice, and fresh salad

Tonight: Breaded fish, fresh salad, baked sweet potatoes

boolady
07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Today I'm making eggplant south of the border with white rice. It's a total craving for me and delicious too.

Sometime when you have a chance, would you mind sharing this recipe? I love eggplant and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks.

brittone2
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
My memory is failing me but this week we had

Asian turkey lettuce wraps w/ ginger cucumber salad

a leftover night at some point in the last few days...monday?

last night was chicken adobo in the crockpot, sliced cukes and baby carrots

tonight is grilled steak, avocado, blue cheese, tomato in lettuce wraps. Not sure what we're having as a side...maybe just a salad w/some of the same ingredients because I'm lazy

tomorrow night: stuffed peppers (I use caluiflower "rice" in ours since we don't eat a lot of grains. It mixes in well with the sauce and ground beef mixture. I don't do it to sneak cauli into my kids but if you need sneaky veggies or would like to eliminate a separate side veggie, these are easy

grilling w/ friends on saturday at their house. Making black bean cupcakes ;)

Sweetum
07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Monday - Cauliflower curry, tomato lentils, rice
Tuesday - eggplant curry (with home-made curry powder), lentil and mixed vegetable stew, rice
Wednesday - Okra curry (with the above powder), cucumber lentils, rice
Thursday - thinking cabbage chutney, beetroot curry (with sesame seed + red dried chilli powder - homemade), spinach lentils, rice

Thought it might interest you all to see what Indians eat on a regular basis :)

ETA: lunch yesterday was a roasted vegetable + mozarealla sandwich with home-made pesto sauce (I don't like the parmesan cheese in store-bought - I make it without it) on ciabatta bread. I prepared this the night before and put it in the fridge.

EATA: we always finish our meal with yoghurt and rice

m448
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Sometime when you have a chance, would you mind sharing this recipe? I love eggplant and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks.

Sure! Here you go:

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/05/eggplant-south-of-border.html

pinkmomagain
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Mon - Pasta dish from Food Network that I read about on BBB & salad
Tue - Garlic chicken dish from allrecipes.com with sauteed potatoes/onions/pepppers
Wed - Chicken Piccata & Artichoke bake-thingy from Food Network, plus white rice
Thurs - Homade pasta sauce with cavatelli, salad, garlic bread
Fri - Will most likely go out to dinner near our beach house

All the kids are in full day camp everyday starting this week (yes, I am the happiest girl in the world!) and so I've been stepping up my game in the kitchen....this way dh isn't asking me "So what did you do all day?"

luckytwenty
07-01-2010, 02:35 PM
The kids & DH and I don't always eat the same. This is their menu:

Monday: Macaroni & Cheese (wheat pasta) and steamed broccoli
Tuesday: Breaded chicken, broccoli and watermelong slices
Wednesday: Grilled chicken breast sandwich, salad and watermelon
Thursday: We're hitting Subway at BJs
Friday: Not sure, maybe pizza

For DH & I:

Monday: Grilled zucchini, squash, onions and peppers over wheat pasta with mozzarella
Tuesday: DH worked late. I had an Amy's organic meal and steamed asparagus on the side
Wednesday: Gnocchi in marinara
Thurs: Subway as well
Friday: If it's pizza, I am in.

boolady
07-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Sure! Here you go:

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/05/eggplant-south-of-border.html

Great. Thanks so much!

bigsis
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Monday-Ceviche
Tuesday-Chile Verde
Wednesday-Taco
Thursday-Sausage & Peppers
Friday-don't know yet

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Ok, changed my plan for tonight...CSA box to the rescue - fresh pesto over pasta, steamed green beans with/EVOO and garlic, plus all the carrots DD ate while helping make the pesto. I LOVE the rare occasions when she helps patiently and snacks on veggies, then goes to the play kitchen and cooks more stuff on her own...until the brothers wake up. Then, it's pandemonium.

fauve01
07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
sunday-- broiled parmesan tilapia, grilled romaine, green beans, pasta
monday-- casserole with chicken, brown and wild rice, green beans, almonds, cheddar on top, side green salad
tues--DH had a dinner meeting, DD and i got takeout (rotisserie chicken, rice, salad)
wed--veggie pizza, chicken caesar with rice
Thurs--crockpot chicken with satay peanut sauce over rice with steamed broccoli

friday/tomorrow--turkey burgers, wheat bun, grilled romaine, either steamed broccoli or roasted green beans
saturday--dh asked for steak. we usually have pasta or cous cous and roasted green beans to go with it, but we'll see what the grocery has!

we usually have some kind of fruit with dinner too-- lately apple slices, cutie oranges, red grapes, or peaches

fumofu
07-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Monday - ate out with extended family
Tuesday - big salad for myself, then later with DH ate ground beef stir fry with bell peppers, brown rice (made by MIL)
Wednesday - chicken curry, dal (lentils), pomegranate raita, homemade naan
Thursday - ground beef and tofu stir fry, Chinese broccoli in soy sauce, various small dishes leftover from ILs' lunch, those Oroweat sandwich thins coz FIL forgot to plug the ricecooker! (made by MIL)
Friday - Indian leftovers from Wed
Saturday - ground beef & spinach pita pockets
Sunday - leftovers
Monday - salmon burger with lemon tartar sauce

Meals are weird these days because ILs are visiting and they eat earlier than DH and me. If I cook, they'll eat my food only if it suits their taste.

Sweetum
07-02-2010, 01:39 AM
you have to give me your recipe for making home-made naan. And the pomegranate raita too - sounds yummy. I typically make rice, and sometimes roti, but never naan! looking forward...

fumofu
07-02-2010, 02:23 AM
you have to give me your recipe for making home-made naan. And the pomegranate raita too - sounds yummy. I typically make rice, and sometimes roti, but never naan! looking forward...

Here's the link to the naan (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/anjum_anand/article5925772.ece) - 275oC is about 525oF. I think I set my oven at 500oF. I used melted ghee (clarified butter) instead of regular unsalted butter, and that made a world of difference. Baked for 8 minutes, turned off the oven, and let it sit while finishing my other dishes. Thought I overbaked the bread when I finally took it out coz it was more brown than I had intended, but it was just right! I also sprinkled on the Nigella seeds, more salt, chopped cilantro, and minced garlic - none of these really stuck to the dough. Next time I'll incorporate them at the end of kneading.

Pomegranate raita (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/anjum_anand/article2818397.ece) - did not taste as great as I had in mind (I used ground cumin & frozen pom seeds from TJ's), but here it is.

What's your recipe for roti? Please share! (Any ideas for leftover daal is also appreciated) :)

larig
07-02-2010, 02:37 AM
mon-chix parm w/ spaghetti
tues-leftovers
wed-roast chicken a la Ina Garten (w/ lemon & sweet onion) w/ Tian
thurs-first attempt at homemade chicken nuggets (w/ broccoli & cheddar mixed in) w/ zucchini (these were a big hit w/ DS--as I hoped--and extras were made to be frozen for him).
fri-welsh rarebit

(guess what was on sale this week?)

citymama
07-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Monday - Indian aloo gobi, fried okra and daal
Tuesday - tofu rancheros (like huevos rancheros), side of sauteed brocoli raab
Weds - home made tortillas with pinto beans, rice, guacamole, Mexican cheese
Thurs - fresh pesto over fusilli with green beans and salad
Fri - we'll make Thai curry for us and DD will have pasta with tomato sauce probably

Seitvonzu
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow! i'm impressed with everyone and scared to think about our week... we had company for what felt like all of june, and when my parents arrived on monday afternoon (after dh's sister's family left in the morning), i had warned them that we'd be GOING OUT :) and then... clearing out leftovers!

let's see:
m-- we went to buffalo bill's chicken wings... i was actually pretty impressed with my hamburger (less so with the chicken wings), lucyloo had chicken tenders/fries (ack!)

t-- TACO FIESTA! i mixed up my "own" taco meat (not a packet), spanish rice (again not a packet), made my "own" refried beans/dip, made salsa-- but all last week. i just reheated up a storm, mixed some avacado with lime/salt and heated up shells. mom made some sauteed zuchinni with our farm share squash :) and we had FRESHFRESH corn!

w--we ordered papa johns. had a coupon; dh LOVES this :) (notice: i didn't even attempt side dishes)

th-- dh had left over pizza and mom and i made ourselves burritos with the leftover taco concoction i made when stuffing tuesday's leftovers all in one container. it tasted SO GOOD. mom & i were stuffed and felt the burritos were probably as good as chipolte :)

tonight would be some roasted beats, more zucchini or something, but dh & i are going to the movies- so it's probably popcorn. who knows what lu will have-- rules go byebye when "gee-gee" is here!

egoldber
07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Monday - pasta with pesto, green salad
Tuesday - black bean quesadillas, watermelon
Wednesday - homemade whole wheat pizza, salad
Thursday - Indian food "packets" from TJ with jasmine rice, watermelon
Friday - ????

carolinamama
07-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Monday - Chicken stroganoff with noodles, broccoli, and watermelon
Tuesday - Tortilla soup with cornbread and carrot sticks
Wednesday - Pulled barbeque chicken, scalloped potatoes, and grilled squash/zucchini (from our garden :cheerleader1: )
Thursday - fishsticks, mixed fresh fruit, and applesauce
Friday - we are having ribs, twice baked potatoes, baked beans, grilled veggies, and cole slaw. My sister and her Dh are in town.

caleymama
07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Monday - ordered pizza
Tuesday - grilled venison tenderloin, swiss chard (from the garden), homemade macaroni salad
Wednesday - homemade pasta (tagliatelle) with tomato sauce for DDs and I and olive oil/garlic scape (from neighbor's garden)/fresh basil (from our garden) for DH
Thursday - no idea yet
Friday - no idea yet

Adding Thursday and Friday. . .

Thursday - DH got my Dad to babysit and DH and I went out for a quick casual dinner for our 10th anniversary at a local Italian place. DH had homemade gnocchi with vodka sauce and I had an eggplant/roasted red pepper/fresh mozzarella/pesto sandwich. YUM! I'm eating the other half of my sandwich right now for lunch and it's SO good.

Friday - crockpot southwestern bean soup with cornmeal dumplings

ilfaith
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Monday - Chicken fajitas made with leftovers from Sunday's pool party, plus the remaining birthday cake

Tuesday - Tuna and Egg Salad pita sandwiches, leftover veggies and dip, ice cream

Wednesday - Penne with turkey meatballs, green salad

Thursday - Burger Night at our club

Not sure what we're doing for dinner tonight. We leave for a month-long trip tomorrow, so there's not much left in the fridge. Maybe we'll just do pizza

eta: Yup. Pizza.

Sweetum
07-02-2010, 01:56 PM
What's your recipe for roti? Please share! (Any ideas for leftover daal is also appreciated) :)

Thanks for the recipes. I'll try them out this weekend.

For roti, there isn't much of a recipe but more technique. I have a KA stand mixer and delegate the kneading to it. I use whole wheat flour from Indian stores (golden temple brand). To 1 cup of flour, I add slightly less than 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt and start the kneading. I add more water if necessary. The key is to get a soft but not sticky dough - it shouldn't get sticky even if left to sit for sometime (which, by the way, is good). Tear out pieces from the dough, roll each piece into a ball, flatten it in your palm, and roll it out into a thin roti/tortilla. Have a hot griddle ready. Put the roti on the pan and let one side get done (brown spots all over). Once you see that, if you have a gas stove, put the undone side directly on the flame - the roti will puff up. As soon as it puffs up, remove it and put it in a towel-lined container with a loose lid. That's it! I know, it sounds tough. We are not traditional roti eaters, and it took me some practice to get it right. Btw, if you don't have a gas stove, but an electric one, use a grate kind of a thing over one of the burners that's been set to high. Instead of moving the roti to the flame, move it to this grate. The same will happen as with the gas stove. In fact, this is much easier and controlled. I'll look for some videos and post a link if I find one.

Not much help with leftover dal - we just eat it as dal again :(

CityMama, Thai curry recipe please!

alien_host
07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Monday - Grilled chicken breast, baked potato, grilled veggies
Tuesday - take out pizza and carrot sticks/peapods
Wednesday - DH and I had leftover chinese takeout...DD had a queadilla with avocados
Thursday - cheese tortelini, red sauce, green beans from the farmer's market...thanks to WatchingThemGrow I steamed them and then sauteed in EVOO and a bit of garlic...DD had hers plain but DH and I looooved them!
Friday - I'm thinking quesadillas....need to pick up a rotisserie chicken...fresh salsa, guac.

fumofu
07-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the recipe! Will definitely try it next time I make Indian. Will have to make a trip to an Indian store soon.

scmama
07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
This week was pretty unexciting as far as dinner went.

Monday: hoisin beef stirfry w/ jasmine rice
Tuesday: bbq chicken skewers (chicken, pineapple, bell pepper, onion)
Wednesday: leftovers
Thursday: mexican caesar salad w/ bbq chicken
Friday: beef fajitas (I'd rather not have beef again this week, but DH wanted to use some of his peppers up from the garden). w/ tortillas, guacamole, beans and rice. I'm making a lot right now so we will have leftovers tomorrow.

citymama
07-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Fumofu and sunshineandme: leftover daal can be "revived" by making a fresh "tadka" with ghee the second time you eat it. Depending on what kind of daal it is, you could do a plain tadka of cumin seeds in hot ghee and then add some finely chopped cilantro to the reheated daal (we always reheat leftover daal on the stovetop not microwave!). Thicker grained daals like brown lentils you could add Ginger or garlic or whole chiles to the ghee tadka. I love redoing a daal the next day.

Thai recipes - DH is our Thai food (and Mexican food) chef. He uses a Thai vegetarian cookbook we have, as well as an amazing roasted vegetables and peanut curry recipe from Mark Bittman. He used to make the curries from scratch but since they involve cooking with a lot of chiles, post kids we buy the little Thai curry paste cans at 99 Ranch or other Asian markets, and sauté with garlic, ginger, galangal, fresh lemongrass, Thai basil, kaffir lime leaves and coconut milk to
make the curry. Kaffir lime leaves are key!

Sunshineandme: thanks for the roti recipe. We've never attempted home made rotis, but we do home made tortillas (we cheat by buying the masa at the Mexican store).

Nooknookmom
07-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Monday: Spaghetti w/ marinara + fresh basil w/ a salad
Tuesday: Homeade cheesburgers w/ spinach and zuchinni and onions (garden!!)
Wednesday: Grilled chicken, corn on the cobb & baked potatoes
Thursday: Crock-potted a roast, homeade mashed taters, gravy (homeade) & green beans
Friday: Went for pizza

Great, now after reading all these great recipe ideas, I'M STARVING!