PDA

View Full Version : 411 on cloth diapering..pretty please?

blondflava
07-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Zulily has those all-in-one clothies for sale. Are they any good? Never used the cloth diapers before.. But I think for 15 I could give it a try. How long do the kids stay in the diaper? With disposables, I change DD every 3-4 hours.. And it might sound funny... but how do you deal with poop??? TIA!

ladysoapmaker
07-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't know anything about Zulily. However I do cloth diaper. You'll find that initially you will change the diapers a little bit more frequently with cloth as you and DC can feel the wetness faster. And some kids are realy sensitive to that. (This is why mine all potty trained by 3 yrs).

There are several things you can do to deal with the poop. Use a flushable iner and dump in the toilet or get a sprayer that you can use to spray off the poop into the toilet or you can just dunk into the toilet to clean it off. The older the DC is the more likely it will be more solid so it's easier to just tip into the toilet. It's pretty easy to get over the ick factor if you don't have a real phobia of "ickiness".

Good Luck,
Jen

swissair81
07-01-2010, 12:03 PM
What brand does zulily have?

I have a bum genius sprayer that attaches to my toilet tank. It takes care of all the ickiness.

daisymommy
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
If you go to the Butts/Diapering forum on this message board, there is a "Cloth Diapering 101" thread posted at the very top, that is full of great information for newbies :) Can you tell us what the exact brand of diaper it is? I tried to look, but I'm not a member.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
It's Bumkins AIOs for $15.99. I have never used that brand.

MamaMolly
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
We switched to CD for DD2. I L:heartbeat:VE cloth diapers! Now, I'm dealing with newborn EBF poops, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt but it is so much easier than I thought it would be. I don't bother to rinse her poops because it just makes a bigger mess at this point. They go on their own load in the washer on HOT with a second rinse. Easy peasy!

We are using the Green Mountain Diapers Workhorse fitted all cotton dipes with a cover. They are the Beta version of the Workhorses with the final version due out in the Fall. It is all we have used so I can't really comment on what the Bumkins are like.

It took getting used to how wet her dipes would get. With a disposable you really only feel the weight, not the wet. DH still comments on how 'soaked' DD2 gets. We change her about every 2 hours or so. She goes about 7 hours at night on most nights without a change.

american_mama
07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
The Bumkins All-In-One (AIO) diaper is only a so-so diaper. I don't want to overwhelm you with details, but the outer material (nylon) is not as soft as the PUL outer fabric used in most cloth diapers and the inner material (flannel) is not as absorbent as other materials. It's also a bulky diaper. I would not pay $15.99 for it, since you can get better ones for a comparable price.

Try the Jillians Cloth trial program to get a feel for lots of different types of cloth diapers. And PM me for my cloth diaper brochure (free) which is a good introduction.

daisymommy
07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
There are much better diapers out there for that price. I personally really dislike those diapers.

edurnemk
07-01-2010, 10:26 PM
There are much better diapers out there for that price.

And I also second the suggestion to try Jillian's Drawers cloth trial program, that's what we did. www.jilliansdrawers.com They have a great tutorial too, and will anwer all your questions via phone or email. We use Bumgenius pockets and AIO's, they're around the same price and much better diapers.

Oh, and to answer your other question, kids stay in diaper 2-3 years. My DS is just potty trained at 2.5. And for poop after we started solids we used flushable liners (Kushies) and also had the Bumgenius diaper sprayer.