PDA

View Full Version : Dollar store question

katydid1971
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I was at the dollar stare yesterday picking up those extra large zip lock bags for packing for our trip. I noticed razor blades I think 4 in a pack. The package said it was made in the USA and gave the company's name which I have forgotten. I like the idea of cheep razors because I like to change them frequently but I'm worried that if I were to cut myself with them they might not be as safe as more expensive ones. The fact that they are made in the USA does reassure me more than a MIC product which who knows what it could be made with considering all those great metals they keep recalling in children's jewelry and drinking glasses. So here is my question---Do you/Would you buy personal care products from the dollar store? Razors, toothpaste, baby care products, etc or are you worried about what might be in those kinds of products. Would love to get your feed back.

BabyMine
07-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Razors, yes. Toothpaste, no. They had a big recall of Colgate toothpaste becasue they found a chemical close to antifreeze in it.

Here is a list of what to buy and what not to buy at the dollar store.
http://recycledfrockery.com/are-you-dollar-store-saavy-check-out-these-tips-and-become-the-dollarstore-diva/

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Just read the list, LMAO on the condom advice!!!!!!!!!!!:ROTFLMAO:

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Just read the list, LMAO on the condom advice!!!!!!!!!!!:ROTFLMAO:
Do you mean the part about hair accessories being made out of reused condoms or the condoms themselves?

I concur with the preg. tests - it told me there was no baby - and by golly, he's 1 now.

BabyMine
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Do you mean the part about hair accessories being made out of reused condoms or the condoms themselves?

I concur with the preg. tests - it told me there was no baby - and by golly, he's 1 now.

I wonder if the hair accessories come in large and extra large.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Not buying condoms there, people that buy those thinking they are a-ok, well, quite frankly, I don't think I want to see their genes passed on!:rotflmao::hysterical:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I LOVE the gift bags at DT. I stock up there, so I never have to pay 3x as much for the same MIC quality at Target.

AshleyAnn
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I've bought razors there and never worried about any risk using them. The soaps, toothpaste, medical stuff - no. I did buy some shaving cream for DH there but it was brand name barbasol. I've also bought the pregnancy tests but no idea how accurate at detecting pregnancy they are b/c I was not pregnant when I tried them (hated the whole pee in a cup thing) and I have a few of thier ovulation kits under my cabinet but I haven't tried them either.

vonfirmath
07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I found the dollar tree pregnancy tests to be more accurate than the more expensive store ones. One of those is what I got My positive with.

kdeunc
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Bought Dollar Tree razors yesterday. I don't typically buy medical supplies there. My very picky mother will only buy items there made in US or Canada.
As far as pregnancy test, all 4 of my pregnancies were detected very early on Dollar Tree tests.

hellokitty
07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I am picky about what I buy at DT, however I've gotten some great deals there, so it's definitely not a store that I have totally written off just b/c some of the products are low quality or questionable. Ovulation and pg tests there have always worked for me. I avoid off brand cleaning products. I think I bought some DT toilet cleaner before in college and it stained the toilet bowl a different color in the spots that it was squirted on! I rarely buy food there, but if I do, I always check to see where it's made. Their party/gift wrap stuff is usually a decent deal and I've found their craft stuff to be decent too. Kitchen stuff is hit or miss, I think you just have to use some common sense. They also have good seasonal decorative/holiday type of stuff.