PDA

View Full Version : If you have older children, are they unusually lovey dovey?

luckytwenty
07-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Since I've been really showing, my kids are just all over me. Especially my 7 year old son. It's really sweet, but also unexpected. He hugs and kisses me and pets my belly and tells me how beautiful I am. He told me he wished I could marry two boys so I could marry Daddy AND him. (Um, hello, Oedipus, but he did mean it in an innocent way.) My daughter also is especially affectionate. She is more about walking around with bears stuffed under her shirt, though, than being all over me.

It's really wonderful, but also a little out in left field. I'm hoping it's excitement and not insecurity that they'll lose their places in my heart once I have a baby. But they aren't being clingy--they are just being lovey.

swissair81
07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Hard to tell. My kids are usually very affectionate. I have no reason to think it's just because I'm going to have a baby. My youngest cracks me up though. He is totally obsessed with my belly. He pats me & kisses me. It's adorable.

ewpmsw
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Wonder if the older kids are picking up on the way other adults treat their pg mom, or other pg ladies. Kids are pretty savvy - They must notice the "handle with care" attitude a lot of grownups have toward pregnant women, and the "specialness" of being pg.

DD is two and has no idea what's coming, really. Can't tell if she's going through a clingy phase, but she's been uncharacteristically affectionate and huggy for the past few months. It seemed to start around the time space on my lap started getting smaller and I put limits on having her in my space. (Being sore makes me less inclined to be her jungle gym.)O She wants to be on me or next to me ALL the time, and we spend every day together.

LadyPeter
07-02-2010, 06:53 AM
No kids, but my cats have been especially clingy. DH noticed it and wondered what was up. They both want to be in my lap, all the time. They pat my face, want me to carry them around, etc. I wondered if I were putting off some powerful Mommy hormones or something.

Roni
07-02-2010, 07:43 AM
My 6 yo tends to be lovey-dovey, anyway, but she is a little more so. (But, she has been putting herself to bed lately and not needing me to cuddle her to sleep, but that could be because she doesn't have to go to bed so early, since it's summer.) My 10 yo is obsessed with my belly and always wants to examine my baby bump and see if the baby is kicking. She also wants to cuddle more.

hillview
07-02-2010, 08:27 AM
DS1 was when I was pg with DS2 -- and he is more like that anyway.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
My ds1 was like that when I was pg with ds2...it got to be overwhelming at times! There were just times I didn't want to be touched. He listened ok if I needed space.

Beth