PDA

View Full Version : Which kitchen towels for cleaning up spills?

happymom
07-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Hi, my name is Happymom and I am addicted to Bounty paper towels.

I am trying to correct my terrible ways. LOL.

Currently, I have only one kind of towel- I don't even know what you'd call it, but its the nice fluffy kind. I use it to dry dishes or whatever.

I want to buy towels for wiping the counters and cleaning up spills, rather than using paper towels all the time.

What kind am I looking for? Thanks!

melonpan
07-02-2010, 01:43 AM
both are similar: 1) skoy or 2) twist biodegradable european sponge cloth

twist is a big more stiff, skoy a bit more flimsy, but after using both, i still like them both.

youll have to try each out to figure out your own preference.

just my two cents

melonpan
07-02-2010, 01:44 AM
both are hard when dry. you have to run under water to soften, then squeeze.

both are dishwashing machine washable as well as washing machine washable.

i prefer throwing them in with my clothes.

happymom
07-02-2010, 01:54 AM
both are hard when dry. you have to run under water to soften, then squeeze.

both are dishwashing machine washable as well as washing machine washable.

i prefer throwing them in with my clothes.

Thanks. Where can I buy these?

DebbieJ
07-02-2010, 01:58 AM
I bought a big pack of microfiber towels from the automotive section and we LOVE them! We use them for EVERYTHING!

happymom
07-02-2010, 02:07 AM
I bought a big pack of microfiber towels from the automotive section and we LOVE them! We use them for EVERYTHING!

Cool! I saw microfiber towels in Marshall's but I wasnt sure if thats what I need or not. I think I have some towels from Costco that are microfiber and I hate them. They practically repell water!

I also saw some waffle-weave towels in Marshall's.

SunCB
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I think I have some towels from Costco that are microfiber and I hate them. They practically repell water!

Have some from Sam's and hate them. My Mom gave me some cotton/(think) poly blend towels that I am not crazy about feel but they seem to do the job. I have mostly 100% cotton towels. I was actually looking at the bar towels Sam's but have not tried them yet.

Will be watching this thread though.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I just use my older handtowels for this when I "retire" them from being the "good" towels. I do have a couple microfiber ones for cleaning up big spills, but mainly I just use old regular cotton hand towels.

lizzywednesday
07-02-2010, 08:06 AM
We have a bunch of bar towels. If you can find them inexpensively, they cannot be beaten for kitchen messes, though I do like Beth's (egoldber) idea of using old bath towels. (My old bath towels end up doing bathroom cleanups instead!)

egoldber
07-02-2010, 08:10 AM
These aren't bath towels. They are older kitchen hand towels. :) They are the ones with holes, starting to fray, etc.

lizzywednesday
07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
These aren't bath towels. They are older kitchen hand towels. :) They are the ones with holes, starting to fray, etc.

Ohhh, OK. Even so, that's a great idea.

Momof3Labs
07-02-2010, 08:24 AM
We got a pack of bar towels at Bed, Bath and Beyond. If you go the microfiber route, stay away from deep colors as they can bleed horribly in the laundry!!! Go white or light instead.

hillview
07-02-2010, 08:31 AM
I use a giant sponge or a microfiber towel (3M makes them) or a drying towel or a washcloth (got like 20 at Costco).
/hillary

m448
07-02-2010, 08:34 AM
LOL don't you guys remember the infomercials from the 80s about the shammies? For microfiber to absorb you have to "prime" it which means you wet the towel, wring it and THEN use it to absorb a spill. Had to tell this to my husband when he complained of the towels not working and repelling. Also just like cloth diapers you never use fabric softener on microfiber cloths or any other item you want to remain absorbent.

Don't get me wrong, microfiber cloths will absorb even when dry but it will take exponentially longer (like when I throw them on a floor spill or am wicking up liquid from the carpet, etc.

daisymommy
07-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I second the suggestion for a big pack of microfiber towels. BUT to the poster who said they repel water, that usually only happens if you wash them with any kind of fabric softener. Then they are coated. I think you could strip it off with a hot wash & detergent, maybe two. After that, only wash without softener and they will be wonderfully absorbent. They are awesome for cleaning with too.

Edited because I meant wash without softener, not detergent ;)

Katigre
07-02-2010, 09:13 AM
We bought two packages of IKEA Krama cloths (these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40054538)) and use them in place of paper towels - they are great! Love love love them - I keep a tupperware container on the counter in the kitchen and dirty rags go in there until it's a laundry day. We haven't bought paper towels in years - we've had two leftover rolls in our house for three years now and they're still not used up b/c the cloth ones work so well :).

chottumommy
07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
I have these (about 2 dozen) http://www.etsy.com/listing/50634370/bird-e-towels-paper-towel-alternative. And they are great. We don't use any paper products in our house and somehow haven't missed them

happymom
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I think I will try daisymommy's suggestion first- I have been using a bounce sheet in the dryer when I dry my towels so that may have killed the absorbency on the microfiber towels. I will ty washing them in hot water a couple times to see if that helps. If not, I will look for new ones...

Thanks again!

happymom
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I just use my older handtowels for this when I "retire" them from being the "good" towels. I do have a couple microfiber ones for cleaning up big spills, but mainly I just use old regular cotton hand towels.

Great idea- my only problem is that I have these great towels from BB&B- someone bought them off my registry when I got married 7 1/2 years ago- and they are all in perfect condition! No holes, frays etc! And I use them a lot.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 11:47 AM
LOL! The ones I am using are older than that. :) But we got married 18 years ago.

happymom
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
LOL! The ones I am using are older than that. :) But we got married 18 years ago.

Hmmm, I'll have to get back to you in 10 years! LOL.

DebbieJ
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
We have been married 12 years now and still have some kitchen towels from DH's bachelor days. They are wonderfully absorbant. I usually reserve them for drying dishes, but they are starting to show their wear. I will be very sad when they are retired.

Puddy73
07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
We use white bar size towels from a kitchen supply store. They last forever, even if you bleach them once in a while.

WatchingThemGrow
07-02-2010, 02:00 PM
We have two kinds of towels in our kitchen - both white. The bar mops from Sam's - a bazillion for around $10 are our wipe up the counter, floor, stokke chairs, spills, etc. The W-S all purpose towels are rather $$, but they do everything else - dry dishes, dry hands, etc.

peanut520
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I have these (about 2 dozen) http://www.etsy.com/listing/50634370/bird-e-towels-paper-towel-alternative. And they are great. We don't use any paper products in our house and somehow haven't missed them

okay i have to ask... no paper? what about TP?

salsah
07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
cloth diapers.

fumofu
07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
DH and I finally upgraded to adult towels from BBB when we moved to our current house. What do I do with all these Sanrio/kiddie cotton face & hand towels that I've accumulated these past 10+ years (I swear some are 20+...)? Use them as kitchen rags!

We have uber hard water here, so for glassware I towel dry with gray microfiber clothes I bought from the Restoration Hardware outlet store. They're much better than the blue microfiber cloth pack we bought at Fry's.

elephantmeg
07-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I use the big packs of washcloths from walmart. I use them for faces/hands and spills. I wash them with my towels on hot.

zag95
07-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Bar mop towels are good for cleaning up wet spills and wiping counters. I am sure you can get them anywhere- I bought some from Costco probably about 10 yrs ago- still using them! Also got some white ones for a bridal shower from WS that have held up well.

gatorsmom
07-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I use the big packs of washcloths from walmart. I use them for faces/hands and spills. I wash them with my towels on hot.

I bought a big pack of washclothes for the same purposes but at Target! Don't even get me started on how I feel about Walmart's business practices. I'm boycotting them but i"m going off on a tangent....:innocent:

I also wash my kitchen washcloths with my towels on hot. I have some very nice Williams Sonoma waffle weave towels for drying off freshly washed hands in the kitchen. I love their waffleweave towels. Pricey, but well-made and very absorbant!