PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Train and other tracks...

wendibird22
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Tell me about Thomas and other train/tracks (such as Imaginarium). Which ones are compatible? Which is the best value?

Would you recommend a train set for a 3yo girl? Until what age do trains usually get played with?

DD2 is turning 3. She used to play with trains at her old daycare. DH would really like to get her trains. I'm just not sure.

AlbrightRC
07-02-2010, 10:06 AM
My son just got an imaginarium train set for his 2nd birthday and he has some thomas trains. They work very well togeather. He doesn't know who thomas is because we don't watch it on tv he just knows they are trains.

Dream
07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
This thread might be useful for you.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=363759

I was at TRU yesterday and bought 2 thomas tracks packs, $79 and $19.99. Wasn't planning on spending that much but I did want some elevation tracks and extra tracks. Imaginariun and Thomas tracks are compatible with each other. I decided to go with wooden tracks since DD likes to push the trains herself.

wendibird22
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
So there are several different Thomas train sets. Do they all work together or do you have to stick with a certain one?

Dream
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
So there are several different Thomas train sets. Do they all work together or do you have to stick with a certain one?

Yes, there's different sets but as explained in the thread that I linked, The Blue tracks are discountinued so there's only the Take along Thomas sets(plastic tracks) and Wooden Thomas tracks.

Apparently Wooden Thomas is compatible with most other wooden train sets. I think you have to stick with either wooden or plastic tracks. So from what I understand it'll come down to whether your DC prefer to push the trains or prefer battery operated like the GeoTrax. Another reason I went for wooden tracks is that I want DD to build layout, maybe not now but later and the plastic tracks are hard to put together and she won't be able to for awhile. Where as wooden tracks are way easier. Only con is wooden sets are expensive.