PDA

View Full Version : Would you have a problem with this permission slip wording?

lmwbasye
07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I used to teach Kinder and have never seen one worded this way:

"I hereby release (the school, teachers, parent volunteers...it uses actual names) from any legal or financial responsibility in the event of accident or injury to my child while taking part in this field trip."

The way, I read this, it seems my 5 year old soon to be Kindergartener is totally responsible for himself while walking 1/2 mile to a huge playground park. And while this isn't located downtown we do live in a city.

I don't know. I guess I'm signing it for today, but this is summer camp at the school he will attend for Kindergarten this coming year and I'm sure they use this form every time. Not sure what to think on this.

What do you think?

luckytwenty
07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I think that's what all permission slips say. I get what you're saying, but my kid would never get to go anywhere if I objected.

nrp
07-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I think it looks pretty standard, too. FWIW, most jurisdictions do not allow a liability release like that to extend to acts of gross negligence - and I would think that a school allowing a 5 1/2 year old to "fend for himself" would fall under that category!

egoldber
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree, it's standard. Our school's permission slips were clearly written by a lawyer LOL!!!

lmwbasye
07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
How weird. In 6 years of teaching in Public Schools, our permission slips have never been worded this way. Just that the child has permission to go.

Thanks for the input though. It does make me feel a bit better. :)

Andi98989
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Seems pretty standard. Generally if there is gross negligence you would still have a claim. Here, there was also a state Supreme Court case that just came down saying that a parent could not sign away their child's rights by signing a release like that. It was a case where a child was injured at Bounce Party and the parents had signed one of their waivers. Bounce Party was arguing that the parent's couldn't bring the suit because of the waiver, but the courts - including our state Supreme Court - found otherwise.