PDA

View Full Version : Bags for WDW

lhafer
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I will be taking a 4.5 year old and a 9 month old to Disney world later this year. I have a Skip Hop via Backpack I plan on carrying most of my stuff in. I was also thinking about purchasing a Skip Hop Saddlebag for the stroller.

I figured I would make the saddlebag more for my 4.5 year old - extra shirt, sunglasses, some snacks, sippy cup, etc.

The Backpack would be able to hold all my baby stuff, and still leave room for snacks, etc for DH and I.

Is this a good combo? I have a Baby Planet stroller for the baby and plan on purchasing a Maclaren Volo for my preschooler. The saddle bag would go on the Volo.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Can you fold the stroller with the sadle bag attached? If not, is it very easy to take on and off and carry?

I carry a messenger bag at WDW and I have a backpack that I slide into the stroller basket to carry things that I don't need to access often (food, extra beverages, extra diapers, etc.) When we get to a tram or somewhere the stroller needs to be folded, I slip the backpack out, DH or older DD carries it and I fold the stroller.

clc053103
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I used a skip hop dash one year and it was truly a PITA to take off and on the stroller, it was easier just to use a bag you could loop around the handles- but with a volo, that could make it tippy. I am not familiar with teh attachment of the saddle bag, though.

I used the skip hop for the spare clothes, ponchos, sunscreen etc- things we could live without. Then I used a lesportsac Ellie bag (there's a few of these cross body styles out there) for camera, phone, credit cards, lip balm, etc. This system worked great- I would just leave the bag on the stroller while we went on rides and wore my le sportsac in.

lhafer
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
From what I understand it straps on with clips and is easy to get on and off. It has a carrying handle for when the stroller needs to be folded. It would have to come off when the stroller is folded.

The backpack will be able to clip to the stroller, the baby planet stroller is not tippy like a maclaren. But I figure I would mostly wear it.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I use a regular child backpack (like an LLBean Junior size) and as long as I don't stuff it, it slips just fine into the basket of my Mac. I do hang it from the handle sometimes, but it does become a little tippy at that point.

lhafer
07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Here's a skip hop saddlebag:

I like the idea of the mesh pocket on the outside. My DD likes to drink a lot, and if I have her in a Volo, she would be able to easily have access to her cup without me having to stop and get her drink all the time.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Obviously different things work for different people. Personally, I would just find a little crevice to slip the water bottle into: in the basket next to the pack, in the stroller hood if it is closed, etc. But I hate dealing with little bags going through security at the parks, on the trams, the train at the MK and AK, etc. I prefer a bag I can just slip out of the basket, sling on shoulder and go rather than dealing with detaching it and finding a way to carry it. But if it works for you, great. :)

clc053103
07-02-2010, 11:41 AM
that saddlebag is seriously cute- but Beth brought up a great point- the more bags, the longer time at security getting them checked!

lhafer
07-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Let me also say we will be staying off site at the Hilton in downtown Disney or bonnet creek (haven't decided yet) so will have to deal with buses. We obviously won't have a meal plan. DD likes to snack a lot, and I was wanting something that could hold snacks for her throughout the day, otherwise we would have to buy a lot of expensive food.

What is it like to ride rides with a bag? Should I be looking for some type of messenger bag? I need to have a diaper bag for the baby, so I thought my Backpack diaper bag would suffice. Just thought the saddler bag could be used for my 4 yr old mainly for snacks, a drink, poncho, extra shirt.

So it would be 2bags total.

egoldber
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, we do stay on-site, but we never get the meal plan. I bring in sandwiches, drinks and a couple snacks for the kids. Neither of them are that fond of the kid food at WDW anyway. Sometimes we buy one kid meal and have them share it and supplement with what we pack in. We typically buy a snack, like a Mickey ice cream bar or something, and save money by bringing their lunches. And 3-4 extra diapers. I leave all this in the backpack in the stroller.

I wear a messenger bag on me and use it to carry, tickets, money, credit card, room key, diapers and wipes, water bottle (we all share, but I know some don't like to do this) and camera. Maybe a couple granola bars or something.

We don't carry ponchos or extra clothes so that saves some room.

alien_host
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I used a small backpack that I got at REI...this held sunscreen, epi pen, autograph book, my wristlet with money and entrance cards, wipes, few snacks...I had the camera around my neck or in a separate camera bag.

I put her spare clothing in a ziplock and just kept it at the bottom of the stroller in the basket...the only issue with the stroller basket was when we decided to take the train we had to fold the stroller and I was left with this ziplock bag of clothes...but I also didn't want to lug the clothes in the bag all day. Although I think another time we got the stroller to close (Mac Trimuph) with the bag in the basket...depends on how it is positioned I guess. ETA: I remeber now that I had a second ziplock with some snack items in the bottom of the stroller.

Generally I brought the back pack and the camera bag on the rides...it wasn't a problem for me, I would just hold the handles and put them by my feet while on the ride...even on test track it was fine...for milder rides, I might have had the camera bag (without camera) in the bottom of the stroller and the camera on me...for Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters, I would step one foot into the straps and leave them on the floor so I could have my hands free.

I never "wore" the backpack on the rides...even with a small messenger bag (how small though), I don't think I'd have it strapped to me since it might be uncomfortable depending on how the retraint works on the rides...I guess it depends on the ride and the size of the bag.

Have fun!