PDA

View Full Version : 37th week n anxious!!

prats
07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
I am in my 37th week now............And very anxious about the D-day ......Is anyone in the same boat as me? Does anyone who has been through this have any advice,tips or words of encouragement...........need it badly!!!

swissair81
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Do you have any specific fears? It is kind of nervewracking the first time. Fear of the unknown is the worst, because you can't compare it to any personal experiences. First piece of advice is DON'T listen to anybody tell you horror stories. Everyone's experience is different & everybody's perception of events are different. The 2nd piece of advice is take it in small pieces. Don't think about how much longer it might be. Concentrate on handling right now, like you have your entire pregnancy. Thinking ahead doesn't help much. When you go into labor, you will. You can use the same philosophy during labor. Don't worry about how long it is. Concentrate on coping now. I hope you've taken some kind of classes, so you know what to expect somewhat. Have your game plan in mind, but be flexible. The only prize you should concentrate on is your baby. There are no pain medication free prizes. There are no prizes for taking pain medicine either. Do what you need to. Communicate how you think you want things to go with your doctor now, so he/she knows & then go with the flow. Maybe consider hiring a doula. They are very helpful, knowledgeable & will come over to discuss strategy before you go into labor. Then she will be on call for you & will come when you need her.

BabyBearsMom
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Just try to go with the flow (I know that is hard). At first, I was so scared that the baby would come early because everyone told me horror stories about preemie babies. Then I hit week 38 and was convinced I would be induced at 42 weeks because everyone told me horror stories about being pregnant forever. But then, she came 2 days before her due date and she was so perfect, that all the worrying I had gone through disappeared.

Just enjoy your last few weeks of planning and take everything one day at a time. Having a baby is the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm sure it will be for you too.

lizzywednesday
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Truthfully, I'd been looking forward to going into labor on my own when my docs decided at my 37 week appointment that, due to my DD's medical condition, they'd prefer to bring me in to be induced. That changed a lot of my expectations about what labor would be like and I asked a lot of questions about how they'd do the induction, what the drugs were supposed to do, etc.

Because my water was accidentally broken when my OB went to strip my membranes and I had made no progress over 12 hours and had a positive group B strep test, DD was delivered at 39 weeks 6 days gestation by C-section.

Was it what I'd thought I'd go through when I first got pregnant? No, but the result was the same - I have a beautiful, (mostly) healthy DD to show for it!

luckytwenty
07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
My oldest was born at 37 weeks 0 days exactly!

There's really no way around the truth: you are about to enter the most amazing, crazy, wacky, exhausting, exhilerating time of your life. The highest highs, the lowest lows. You'll forget the lows quickly and one day marvel at all you experienced.

I had a really bad experience with my first's birth and it didn't really matter. It was one crappy day and in the end I ended up with a beautiful boy who made me happier than I could have dreamed.

My specific horror story is: had an extreme allergic reaction that caused my water to break before I was actually in labor, was put on pitocin, never dialated past 9 cm after 13 hours, spiked a very high fever due to a staph infection, emergency c-section, breastfeeding difficulties, and during recovery still dealing with major itchiness and pain from the allergic reaction.

Sure, it would have been nice if none of that had happened, but let me tell you, none of it was all that big of a deal because all of the good stuff was overwhelming. I never felt closer to my husband than that day--he looked down at me with one of my eyes completely swollen shut and a rash covering my face and told me how beautiful I was. I will never forget holding our son for the first time and just how precious he was.

I didn't get much sleep, but I was so amazed by him that it wasn't that awful to be sleep deprived.

The c-section recovery wasn't that bad.

Anyway, I guess my point is, your delivery will probably be MUCH better than mine was. I hope it is. But even if it's not, as long as your healthy baby arrives, you have no reason to fear. It will all be worth it and then some, I promise!

HonoluluMom
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
As a first time mom, I was also very anxious about D-day. However, I would say just enjoy the last few weeks! Enjoy being pampered and especially enjoy being pregnant and having that big belly! On occasion, I miss being pregnant.

SnuggleBuggles
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Learn what you can. I don't know how much you have done like reading birth books taking classes, hiring a doula...things like that. But, I agree that fear of the unknown is the worst. Read what you can now to at least know what to expect. Also, I recommend coming up with good labor coping tips- the "worst" birth experiences come from people who plan nothing but to show up, do what their Dr. says and get an epidural that doesn't end up working. With no coping techniques and possibly some unnecessary interventions that leave you stuck in bed it can be tougher than it needs to be. Know your choices and have a back up plan!

eta- also, mentally move your EDD back 2 weeks!! Plan for 42 weeks, as that is when you are truly on borrowed time. Before that things are still normal- don't rush it if you and baby are healthy!!! Inductions carry risks so try and put aside discomfort and impatience if all is well. It will up the chance of a safe, healthy birth if you just hang in there and let the baby pick their EDD. I was really happy that someone told me the moving the EDD back 2 weeks b/c ds1 came at 42w! She also told me to schedule something fun for my EDD like dinner or a pedicure so it isn't a bummer when that day (that you have probably been fixating on :)) comes and goes.

Beth

wellyes
07-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Your first?

The delivery will happen: it may be a snap, it may wipe you out. Hope for the best, be prepared for a tough time (meaning have good backup to help you at home afterward).

And know that the BIRTH isn't the important part of having a baby, just like the wedding isn't the important part of marriage. You are in for the best year of your life and it just gets better :heartbeat:

GonnaBeNana
07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I was very anxious with all of mine (4), for different reasons. The first of course was just the unknown. Even though I'd read tons of books, taken classes, talked to others, etc., I still felt so "unprepared" for what was about to happen. I was working 8 hour mid-shifts (midnight to 8am) as I was in the Air Force then. I had no idea what doctor would deliver my baby as we weren't assigned to a specific one. We got whoever was on duty. I had no family at all nearby except my DH of course, and I was really missing my mom at that point.

All you're feeling is normal. I went from being so excited to being terrified; from confidence in my ability to care for my new son, to wanting to return to the maternity ward because there were nurses there!

Try to focus on what it will be like after the baby arrives. The smiles, the joys, the tears of laughter, the instant love that will surround you, and that look that your baby will save just for you!

Beth

ewpmsw
07-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I agree with pp's about avoiding the horror stories if you can and will add my midwife's advice: Don't watch the reality TV baby stories. They can ratchet up that anxiety unnecessarily.

I'd also suggest doing the things that help you feel most in control. If that means kicking back and relaxing for you, do that. If it means last-minute list-checking and nesting, do those things (within reason, of course). A lot of people do affirmations before and during labor: "I can do this. I can do this. I can do this." (Or whatever phrase works best for you.) When you start feeling anxious, take some deep breaths and try to focus on calming things rather than the "what if's".

I will have to come back and reread this thread in a few weeks when I'm as far along as you and feeling anxious. ;) It's normal to have some concerns and anxiety about the big day. Let yourself feel those things, but try not to dwell on them.

You can do this! Congrats, mama.

LMPC
07-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Don't watch the reality TV baby stories. They can ratchet up that anxiety unnecessarily.

:ROTFLMAO: I think I must have watched every episode of "Bringing Home Baby" aired during my pregnancy. It actually helped me, because I kept thinking "Jeez, if these people can do it, I can!"

OP, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy...and the birth! But I have to tell you, nothing is as memorable or as wonderful as having the actual baby there...with you..in your arms. Get some rest....relax...go out to eat with people you like.

ewpmsw
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
In re the baby stories: I'm guessing the midwife meant the ones where a complication comes up. The ones where the theme is usually along the lines of, 'Unexpected, unplanned, oh no!'

sunnyside
07-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I totally understand! My due date came and went and I realized this morning that the baby is imminent! I mean, in the next few days, I'll probably have a baby. And my hospital bag isn't packed yet haha.

I imagine it'll be fine, but yeah, I have NO clue what to really expect.

I'm trying to keep myself as well rested and hydrated and comfortable as possible.

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Those horrible shows on the Discovery Channel are far worse than "A Baby Story" too. The shows where everything is a dire emergency or complications just isn't accurate. I have found myself yelling at the TV during them b/c so many of the cases where there are complications are man made. Pisses me off. Ridiculous overuse of interventions, moms who know no better...it all makes me mad. Let's break your water when you are 2cm and baby is high...then we'll have a c-section a while later b/c your water was broken for too long and you risk infection or c-section b/c the cord prolapsed since baby wasn't engaged...when things like that happen and were totally unavoidable I just can't take it. Or when the Dr. rescues the situation they caused. Ugh, my bp is going up. There is a time and place for every intervention and I am glad that they are available when necessary. Overused without informed consent is my issue though.

Beth

poohbear
07-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Do you have any specific fears? It is kind of nervewracking the first time. Fear of the unknown is the worst, because you can't compare it to any personal experiences. First piece of advice is DON'T listen to anybody tell you horror stories. Everyone's experience is different & everybody's perception of events are different. The 2nd piece of advice is take it in small pieces. Don't think about how much longer it might be. Concentrate on handling right now, like you have your entire pregnancy. Thinking ahead doesn't help much. When you go into labor, you will. You can use the same philosophy during labor. Don't worry about how long it is. Concentrate on coping now. I hope you've taken some kind of classes, so you know what to expect somewhat. Have your game plan in mind, but be flexible. The only prize you should concentrate on is your baby. There are no pain medication free prizes. There are no prizes for taking pain medicine either. Do what you need to. Communicate how you think you want things to go with your doctor now, so he/she knows & then go with the flow. Maybe consider hiring a doula. They are very helpful, knowledgeable & will come over to discuss strategy before you go into labor. Then she will be on call for you & will come when you need her.

This is amazing advice. (Especially the part about no prizes for medication or no medication - do what is best FOR you and don't listen to anyone else).
The other thing that I found super helpful was doing the tour of the hospital beforehand (so you know where to go, etc). If you haven't done that, call the hospital and do that.
Good luck. And if you have any errands or anything you wanted to get done, try to do them. :)
Everyone is anxious in their 37th week - that's normal :)

Oh, and Mishkamishka, I never packed my bag before going to the hospital (DS was a week early). No worries, you'll be fine, but throwing a few things in a bag right now isn't a terrible idea, because DH's generally don't pack bags well!

larig
07-04-2010, 10:59 PM
This is amazing advice. (Especially the part about no prizes for medication or no medication - do what is best FOR you and don't listen to anyone else).
The other thing that I found super helpful was doing the tour of the hospital beforehand (so you know where to go, etc). If you haven't done that, call the hospital and do that.
Good luck. And if you have any errands or anything you wanted to get done, try to do them. :)
Everyone is anxious in their 37th week - that's normal :)

Oh, and Mishkamishka, I never packed my bag before going to the hospital (DS was a week early). No worries, you'll be fine, but throwing a few things in a bag right now isn't a terrible idea, because DH's generally don't pack bags well!

I'm going to third swissair81 & poohbear. Great advice.

I took too much stuff to the hospital. I didn't use half the stuff I took. I didn't have a typical labor, because it was really short and intense, and then once DS was here all I wanted to do was hold him or watch DH hold him (so again didn't really need any stuff to do that).

Birth plans are great, BUT don't become so wedded to yours that you are unprepared for things that happen. My SIL was pretty upset that she could not (because of complications) have the birth she wanted. As others have said, what matters the most is the end result--healthy you and healthy baby.

Oh, and my mom was in the birthing room with DH and me. She was AWESOME. She just did anything we asked her to do. Feed me ice chips, hold my hand, etc. I had her keep a log of what happened when, so I had some sort of record (we did NOT video tape delivery, just after).

Oh, and get pads and tucks and other stuff for aftercare ahead of time (that way you aren't sending your DH out to get pads, like I had to). There was a thread on this board a while back that generated a list of aftercare stuff that I'll see if I can dig up.

ETA: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=361042&highlight=aftercare

sunnyside
07-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks you guys. I did make a list of what I want to have there at the hospital and have a few of the things packed. It should be pretty easy to put the rest together.

My parents are here and I rode in their rental car today and my dad said I should probably sit on a towel in case my water breaks. :ROTFLMAO:

prats
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM

thanks swissair.............this is an excellent piece of advice......because worrying about what will happen in the future is what i keep doing........i am so scared of delivery, i am afraid i might end up asking to do a c section........hope that never happens!!

And hey thanks a ton to everyone for sharing your views...............believe me i feel much better now:)