PDA

View Full Version : 18 month DD is bored of her toys....

happymom
07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
What new toys should I get her at this age? She has a LOT of toys. SHe does not have a kitchen yet, and I think she will love one, but I am waiting for grandparents to buy one for her second birthday.

Now that summer is here, we spend a lot of time outside. She has a little slide, I just ordered a cozy coupe, and she has a pool of course.

But when we are inside, she is not interested in any toys basically! She mainly plays with her L&L home a little, her FP piggy bank, megablox, and FP cookie jar shape sorter.

She keeps herself busy without toys of course...loves shaking water out of her sippy cup, getting tissues to wipe up the spill, and then throwing the tissues in the garbage. Emptying my cabinets. That kind of stuff.

Is this just an age where they rather play with Mommy's stuff than toys?

Thanks!

alien_host
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Have you tried rotating toys? I used to put somethings away (closet/basement) so that I could bring it out and it would almost be like a new toy.

But if she is happy, even with playing with the tupperware drawer, I wouldn't worry about getting new stuff necessarily.

At that age I used to let DD "cook" with me and she would use pots/pans/tupperware on the floor with a wooden spoon...sometimes I'd give her a bowl of uncooked pasta...I just had to make sure she wouldn't eat/choke on it but she could play for a long time, pouring from cup to cup, stirring it etc.

TwinFoxes
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
At that age my girls started really liking blocks and puzzle type toys, like their bead maze, and anything they could put together/take apart. They also like their sand table. Oh, and musical instruments. I think things where there was a cause and effect were interesting at that age.

newg
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Thats when DD really started to like her blocks, puzzles and things where she could start to play "make believe".
She loves her shopping cart and play food and I put together a basket of "cooking stuff" that she can use....some of it's her size and some of its old stuff of mine.

DD has also become big into anything related to babys.....not sure if that's typical or because I'm pregnant....but she loves playing with her baby doll, pushing her in the stroller or shopping cart......

I like the idea of rotationing toys too.

Dream
07-02-2010, 02:22 PM
DD's 21 months now, she loves emptying the kitchen cabinet. About a week back I bought her a train set and so far that's keeping her busy. I wouldn't say really building anything, basically I make a layout and put things together and she likes to move things around etc. She's plays with her kitchen alot too. That's pretty much all she does.

Momof3Labs
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Yes, puzzles - at that age, DS1 and DS2 were doing floor puzzles (maybe up to 20 pcs) but if you haven't done puzzles yet, start with some peg puzzles.

swrc00
07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, puzzles - at that age, DS1 and DS2 were doing floor puzzles (maybe up to 20 pcs) but if you haven't done puzzles yet, start with some peg puzzles.

:yeahthat:
My DS is 20 months and loves to play with puzzles. At about 18 months he became bored with his toys also. He also likes to color with crayons or Color Wonder markers.