PDA

View Full Version : Mehserle Trial (CA)

YouAreTheFocus
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Anyone else potentially affected by the outcome of this trial? I work in a gov't bldg AND baby is in DC in another gov't bldg. Both bldgs are putting safety precautions in place--DC put out a notice telling infant parents to provide extra BM/formula in case they have to be locked down. So nerve-racking!!!

07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
DH is taking BART home tonight so I'm a bit nervous, But I'm just a paranoid person.

Sweetum
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I was listening about it on KQED today morning. I still don't know many details, but it does sound like it's a serious situation out there. One person had a question about his son daycare - what measures should they take to get out if need be. I don't remember all of it, but you may be able to listen to a transcript on KQED's website. Hope everything will be fine.

codex57
07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Can someone provide some details on the case and why we should be worried? Thanks.

YouAreTheFocus
07-02-2010, 03:12 PM
BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle is on trial for shooting & killing Oscar Grant at the Fruitvale BART station on New Years Day 2009. The trial was moved to LA because of the intense media coverage and public reaction in the Bay Area. Downtown Oakland suffered some blows last year in connection to the case--storefronts smashed, etc. The case may go to the jury this afternoon, but it seems that a verdict won't be reached until next week. People are concerned about rioting when the verdict comes out, there are rumors about BART being shut down and other precautions in place. There are already extra police in Oakland, along with Federal Protective Service, etc.

citymama
07-02-2010, 05:24 PM
DD's preschool sent out info about what they will do if there are riots or protests. I don't think there will be any problems near her school, but I guess everyone is being cautious. We take BART almost daily but won't today or Tuesday.

YouAreTheFocus
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
From what I've read, the jury started deliberating at 1:30pm today, and will continue until 4pm. If they haven't reached a verdict, they will continue Tuesday AM. Fingers crossed for a riot-free holiday weekend, especially b/c the in-laws are here (they already don't approve of our city-livin!).

citymama
07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
From what I've read, the jury started deliberating at 1:30pm today, and will continue until 4pm. If they haven't reached a verdict, they will continue Tuesday AM. Fingers crossed for a riot-free holiday weekend, especially b/c the in-laws are here (they already don't approve of our city-livin!).

Are you in Oaktown or the city?

tny915
07-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Police in SF are fully expecting riots. They are extra staffed and working extra hours in preparation for the verdict.

swampnurse
07-03-2010, 02:16 PM
DH is police officer in Bay Area. All are on riot alert. A cop's family that lives in oakland is coming to stay with us as soon as the verdict is read. Could be UGLY!

graciebellesmomma
07-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Scary stuff. I hope that nobody gets hurt.

On a side note, he was hiding out in our neighborhood last summer. He left Oakland and came up to Tahoe to get away (hide). We had swat teams and cops going from house to house. It was scary, since they wouldn't tell us what was going on, just to stay in our houses.

swampnurse
07-03-2010, 04:35 PM
You live in Tahoe? We have a cabin on Echo Summit. I'm always looking for things to do with the kids when we're there if you have any recs? We come up at least once a month year round.

pharmjenn
07-04-2010, 07:15 AM
We saw a Army gunship (helicopter) flying over Antioch yesterday morning. DH commented he was on his way back to Reserves station in Stockton, and they had been checking in over in the Oakland area. He will be flying on a police helicopter as a medic as soon as the verdict is read, as they anticipate the street cops and ambulances are going to be overwhelmed.
It was really strange seeing the gun sticking out of the front of that helicopter in real life.
As for me, I work in a hospital about 20min from Oakland, and haven't heard about any extra precautions, but it is an affluent community and wouldn't expect anything to make it this far out.

crl
07-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I've heard, just rumor, that the SF police are prepared to close the BART tunnel and the Bay Bridge to prevent any rioting from spreading to the City.

Catherine

rlu
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Verdict coming out 4pm PST today. A coworker left early hoping to be home (about 15 minutes from Oakland) before any potential craziness starts.

YouAreTheFocus
07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Glad that baby & I are safe at home today--we're normally both in d'town Oak. I'm just thankful it is almost over!

rlu
07-08-2010, 07:05 PM
From the Mercury News blogsite

"At least 200 and as many as 300 Oakland police officers, Alameda County Sheriff's deputies and other law enforcement have been called to the streets of Oakland in case of protests, riots and violence, police said. Metal barriers are going up around the Eastmont substation on MacArthur as a precaution, police said. City hall and major downtown employers, including Kaiser in downtown, have sent employees home early for their own safety. Freeways out of Oakland are jammed as people rush to pick up children and get home before the commute rush begins.

Oakland police will only be responding to violent crimes and crimes in progress as officers will be focused on keep calm in the city."

It's like waiting for a volcano to erupt. Praying for peace.

YouAreTheFocus
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Hoping all hell doesn't break loose.

dcmom2b3
07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Take care, Bay area BBB'ers. :hug:

BabyMine
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I hope you all have a normal uneventful evening.

cindys
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes, be safe...

I remember how things were after the Rodney King Trial..

Lets pray that nothing like that happens...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 20mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

jess_g
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Hoping everyone is safe tonight. I will be watching the news and calling my family in the bay area to be sure everything is fine where they are.

Jessica.