PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and toddler question

ewpmsw
07-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Our pediatrician prescribed an antibiotic for DD on Monday for an infected bug bite. She sent a swab off for a culture, which has since come back all clear. The bite was on DD's wrist, which she sucks, and looked like a zit that needed to be popped when the doctor saw it. Since then, we've been keeping it bandaged and applying Neosporin and it's healing up fine. DD was getting over a tummy bug at the same time she was taking the antibiotic. She decided to stop eating for three days, has terrible gas and diarrhea and has been really lethargic.

A nurse at the pediatrician's office advised me to stop giving the antibiotic when I called yesterday. Today, DD woke up very shaky but hungry and seems to be feeling better. Bug bite still looks like it's healing, no sign of pus. The nurse called me back this afternoon to say the doctor wants DD to finish the course of antibiotics, as staph or MRSA could be present. ???? This is our first experience with giving antibiotics to DD. We're reluctant to restart the medicine if all seems to be healing. The cure seems worse than the problem. I really like our pediatrician and don't feel like she prescribes things that aren't necessary, so I'm torn.

What to do, what to do? I don't want to make my little girl sick if it's not necessary. TIA for feedback on this one.

peanut520
07-02-2010, 04:03 PM
How many days was she off the the antibiotics? i would finish the course if there was a minimal break (1-2 days). stopping antibiotics because some looks better or you/dc feels better is how a lot of the antibiotic resistant bugs became. you need to finish all the meds to make sure that all the bugs are wiped out. if it has been more than a few days without the meds i would let the ped know to see if they want dc to start a new course. if the meds are making her sick i would see if taking with food or milk might help or have the dr switch the type of antibiotic.

Tondi G
07-02-2010, 04:12 PM
If you decide to continue with the antibiotics consider getting some probiotics for your little one! Makes a huge difference cause the bad bugs are getting wiped out as well as the beneficial bacteria. Jarrow and Udo's choice are our preferred brands for probiotics and they make some specifically for children!

what antibiotic did your ped prescribe?

KathyN115
07-02-2010, 05:37 PM
MRSA is a type of staph, that is resistant to a lot of antibiotics. It is not usually worse than a "regular" staph infection, but can be harder to treat and requires special antibiotics. If MRSA was present, it would have shown up on the wound culture. If the culture was clear, I would stop them.

ETA: The nurse may have initially called you with the preliminary report, and the final culture could have had different results. Since they effected your DD so much, I would probably call the ped on call for clarification of what you should do.

luv2bmommy
07-02-2010, 06:13 PM
MRSA, if that is what the PMD is still suspecting will keep coming back if not treated. However, I would not keep taking the antibiotic if DD is still recovering from her stomach bug, especially if there is no real reason to. Try some fresh garlic juice (or oil of oregano if you happen to have some) on the bite instead. On the side, if PMD has proof that it was MRSA, I would give lots and lots of yogurt, the plain one.

katydid1971
07-02-2010, 06:34 PM
DD has been just about every antibiotic out there. Probiotics are KEY to keeping your child feeling good when on anitbiotics. I get her chewable ones also the capsules you can open up are good sprinkled into food. If your child has MRSA you want to get that treated.

ewpmsw
07-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks, all. DD was prescribed Bactrim. Waiting for call-back from her doc about changing to a different antibiotic. The bug bite is all but gone at this point. The lab tests were clear of anything infectuous, including MRSA. We've been giving her lots of probiotic yogurt (thank goodness she likes it!).