PDA

View Full Version : Product for 18 month DD curly/frizzy hair?

happymom
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
DD has inherited the lovely curly/frizzy hair that DH's family has. She does not have a lot of hair yet, but she has enough that it gets puffy and funny looking.

I have perfectly straight, easy hair and have no clue what to do with frizzy curls! I wasn't planning on really putting anything in her hair till she's older and actually has more hair. Buuuuut, some days her hair is just a frizzy puff and it looks weird, yk?

Am I being ridiculous ( I mean, she's only 18 months!) to think about putting something in her hair? Mousse? Is there something gentle that will help? Or should I just leave it be since she's only a baby?

Thanks for your input!

TwinFoxes
07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Well, I posted several weeks ago about a product that we use called "Knot Today" by the brand Kinky-Curly.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=353056&highlight=kinky

But my daughters have a lot of hair, and it's very curly. We use it as a detangler, and it really works. Combing their hair was not fun before it. You'll see from replies to that post that other moms liked it to. But there are also other suggestions in that thread, including homemade things I believe.

icunurse
07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm not a fan of putting in mousse or hairspray or whatever when she is so young (other than a photo op or special event). We've been using Afraid Knot Detangler that we buy from Great Clips or Children's Taming Spray from Paul Mitchell. For both, I comb through DD's hair while dry, spray in, comb through, and then tousle. Her curls end up not frizzy, yet bouncy, and it doesn't look stiff. Aveeno also has an oatmeal shampoo that moisturizes pretty well, too, as does the companion shampoo from Great Clips.

swissair81
07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
My DS has a 'fro. All I use is detangler spray. I spray it, comb it & scrunch it. His hair is cute & natural looking.

sidmand
07-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I started doing something with DD's hair about that age. I didn't really want to put anything in it but she looked like she'd stuck her finger in the socket most of the time.

I usually wet it, brush it, then put either a children's leave in conditioner or a mousse (I think it's Fairytales? but I can look it up for sure). I think I ended up just using the adult Ouidad leave in conditioner but I usually only use that once a week and a little bit of the mousse daily.

ellies mom
07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
At that age, I just work a dab of California Baby's Calming Conditioner into damp hair. And if that doesn't keep it from frizzing, I use a dab of Aveda's Be Curly Curl Enhancer. It is really light and just kind of keeps the curls together.

salsah
07-03-2010, 12:36 AM
the key to handling curly hair is to not touch it while it is dry. handling it while it is dry separates the curls and then you get frizz. when your dd rubs her head against anything, her hair will frizz. when my girls wake up, i wet (soak) their hair (i use a spray bottle), run my fingers thru their hair with some product, and leave it alone. curls look best when left as natural as possible. the only time i comb their hair is in the shower, before rinsing out the conditioner. if you must use a comb, use a wide tooth comb. but letting curls do their own thing usually looks best. even a comb thru wet hair ruins my dd's curls. and, yes, you need to soak her hair to get the curls to recollect and reshape. don't towel dry it, that will just make it frizzy.

when my dd's were younger and didn't have much hair, i used a little CA Baby conditioner. now that they have more hair, i use kinky curly's knot today and aveda's be curly curl enhancer.

the only other thing i can think of is to keep her hair moisturized and don't shampoo too often.

hth