PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder...Kids and sparklers PSA

TaChapm
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't post on here much anymore but I do still read and try to keep up with everyone. I just wanted to come here and re-post this warning to all of you parent's out there who are considering letting your little ones have a sparkler. Don't do it!

Here is a link to my post about Jackson 3 years ago. He is still has scars from it. Don't let it happen to your child!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=243619

Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

maestramommy
07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Timely thread since we just got singed ourselves. Suffice to say Dh thought Arwyn was old enough to handle one, and turns out she isn't. Nothing too serious, but he's learned his lesson.

DrSally
07-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you for the reminder. I learned about the dangers of sparklers here first.

jenstring95
07-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I got burned on one when I was young (maybe 6-8 or so?) and have been afraid of them ever since. They are pretty to look at from afar, but I agree - I would definitely not give them to my kids! Thanks for the reminder, OP.

o_mom
07-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Thank you for the reminder. I was thinking about this last night when the fireworks were going off. I still remember your post every year around this time.

vejemom
07-03-2010, 08:31 AM
I got burned by one as a small child. I"m still extremely nervous around fire. Have trouble lighting a match, even. I think I've read that sparklers can reach 2000-3000 degrees at the tip.

Gracemom
07-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Thank you so much for posting this. Last year, I had to defend my decision to my family not to let my kids use sparklers. I was the overprotective mom who was "too serious and wouldn't let my kids have fun." We teach our kids not to play with matches and fire and then hand them a huge explosive and say "have fun!" Doesn't make much sense to me. I hope your little one healed well.

kerridean
07-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Great reminder! Thank you!

TaChapm
07-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Thank you so much for posting this. Last year, I had to defend my decision to my family not to let my kids use sparklers. I was the overprotective mom who was "too serious and wouldn't let my kids have fun." We teach our kids not to play with matches and fire and then hand them a huge explosive and say "have fun!" Doesn't make much sense to me. I hope your little one healed well.

You know...I hear it all of the time from various family members and freinds about how overprotective I am. The thing is we were standing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM! I will never buy the excuse that fireworks are safe as long as you supervise because we were supervising him and standing right by him. I will always regret not sticking to my guns and insisting he not have one and I will never buckle to pressure from others again! I want my kids to have fun and enjoy being a child but I am also going to do everything I can to keep them safe. Keeping them safe does NOT include handing them a rod of fire.