PDA

View Full Version : leg cramps...............

newg
07-03-2010, 09:21 AM
OMG.....just had my first leg cramp this pregnancy and it was horrible!!! Poor DH did the best he could to work the cramp out, but it had to be the worst leg cramp I have had .......ever.........and I played/taught tennis for over 15yrs!!
It did not stop....and everytime he got too close to the actual spot it started all over again. I was literally grabbing the sheets and moaning/screaming into the pillow so I didn't wake DD up. needless to say I didn't sleep much after that.

Anyone have a trick/method for either preventing these horrible leg cramps or making them go away faster??!!
I think I nearly have DH a heartattack.

Roni
07-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Ooh, I hear you. I'm getting them worse this pregnancy. I assume you know about flexing your foot. Cramps are pretty common in my sport, as well, and I've heard that they can be caused by lack of potassium and water. So, try to eat bananas and drink lots of water.

newg
07-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm drinking tons of water already..........but maybe I need to increase the bananas.
Last night, flexing the foot didn't help....it almost seemed to make it worse.

marymoo86
07-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Will also add that when it hits and your foot is locked up to hold your breath for a few seconds and then breathe deep. Should help to "unlock" and less painful than trying to walk it out.

Will be sore for a few days :(

ewpmsw
07-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I just read yesterday that a lack of calcium in your diet can also lead to leg cramps. It was in the packet of resources the midwife provided. Have heard of taking in more potassium, water, etc... First I'd heard of the calcium. Worth a shot, I guess.

newg
07-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I've never heard of that either............with the calcium.

I guess it's possible that yesterday I didn't take in enough water/calcium during the day.
I'm trying to eat at least 5 servings of calcium a day because my mom has osteoperosis (?), as did my grandma........so the OB suggested I eat more calcium since I'll also be BF.
And I got dehydrated with DD, so my water intake is 64+ oz of water a day.......

thanks for all of the suggestions ladies!!

tabegle
07-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I kid you not, google pickle juice and leg cramps.

For me, when I feel one coming on, I try to point my toes up towards my belly. That seems to hold them off. I know my natural tendency was to point my toes down (like a ballerina), but that really only ensured the leg cramp was coming.

Good luck!:waving4:

dukie41181
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Definately increase your potassium intake! Whenever this happens to me it is always when I am not paying attention to my potassium intake and when I up it, they go away. Its happening with this pregnancy and happened last time too.

m448
07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
You definitely need cal/mag. A dose of 1200/400 is a good ratio and liquid is more easily absorbed. Take at night and do your iron containing supps in the am since they will prevent absorption. My RLS is killer if I forget my cal/mag plus you will sleep more soundly.

I take it alll the time since I'm either tandeming or nursing through a pregnancy and my mom has bone loss. DH and the kids take it too since growing pains can be attributed to the same deficiency.

newg
07-04-2010, 03:18 PM
no leg cramps last night..........yay!!

I took some tums last night for extra calcium. And today my dad mentioned that I may be drinking soooo much water that I'm actually flushing out too many electrolites out of my body. So I'm going to try mixing a bit of gatorade or propel into my water throughout the day to up my electrolites.

thanks again for all of the feedback!!

pastrygirl
07-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Flex your foot as soon as you feel it coming on -- don't let your toes point out at all. If you have a tile floor anywhere, go stand on it. The cold tile helps.