PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to put 1 cup of butter in this cookie recipe?

JustMe
07-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I was so excited to found a cookie mix with includes whole wheat flour, oatmeal, choc chips, and cranberrry pieces (and a few other ingredients as well). However, the recipe n the back calls for me to add 1 cup of butter (plus an egg and one other thing I cant remember right now). I use smart balance anyway, but 1 cup of that seems like too much too! Can I make a substitution/use less?

Thanks,

LMPC
07-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Personally, I feel if I am going to eat a cookie, I might as well eat one with real butter in it KWIM? How many cookies does the recipe make? Maybe if you break up that cup into a per-cookie amount, it won't seem like that much.

Happy eating!

JustMe
07-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Hmmn, I'm not sure how many it makes...but it will mostly be dd and I eating them! I really would love to hear if someone knows if there is anything else I can do or if I can cut down on the amount. It is fine if the cookie does not taste as wonderful as it would have with all that butter...and as I said, I will be using smart balance, but dont even want to use a whole cup of that.

Neatfreak
07-04-2010, 12:28 AM
If I am remembering correctly, altering the fat ingredient ratio in cookies might create a change in texture in the final product.

LadyPeter
07-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Don't do it. I've tried subbing margarine, etc. in cookie recipes and it never works out well. Cookies fall apart, or burn on the outside, etc.

Melaine
07-04-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm a big fan of real butter, I think it is a good fat. My mom subs coconut oil for butter in cakes, but I don't think that would work well in cookies. And, again, it's just another healthy fat.

SnuggleBuggles
07-04-2010, 10:22 AM
NO, it's a bad idea to change the proportions when baking. Also, I am a big real butter fan too. I think the other stuff doesn't taste as good nor cook as well.

How about this strategy? It's what I do here. I bake one tray of cookies, or however many I think is reasonable (you could bake 2 if you really want to :)). Take the remaining dough and portion it out by rounded teaspoon or tablespoon (per the recipe). Put those cookies on a cool cookie sheet, doesn't matter if they are close, and put them in the freezer for an hour. Take the dough balls off the cookie tray and stick them in a zip-top baggie and put in freezer. Now, whenever you want cookies you can go in there and cook up just as many cookies as you want!! I usually lower the baking temperature when reheating them- lower and slower usually comes out a bit better from frozen.

Beth

zoestargrove
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm in the same camp as Melaine. I think butter is a healthier fat than margarine. In my eyes, it's the sugar in cookies that makes them an occasional treat.

Go for the butter and freeze a portion for later. I love Beth's idea of freezing individual serverings, but I'm lazier than her. I take half of the dough and roll it into a cylinder shape in parchment, freezer paper or saran wrap and freeze it. Then I slice off chunks to bake later on.

If you want to read more about butter's benefits the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is a good place to start or google butter and health benefits or Weston Price. There is a lot of contradicting information about what is and isn't healthy which is maddening, but in the end I've decided to side with real (natural) foods over processed, industrialized imitations.

kijip
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Cookies require butter for that cookie flavor and texture. It's unclear to me what a cookie is without butter. 1 cup divided over the 2-4 dozen cookies? Not that much. Just eat the cookies in moderation or share them with friends.

wellyes
07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I'd just use butter too. Baking is a science - proportions for the foundation ingredients are not flexible.