PDA

View Full Version : Would you get a baby boy doll for your DD?

ourbabygirl
07-05-2010, 11:23 PM
DD will be getting a little brother this fall, and I thought it might be kind of fun to get a her a baby boy doll (Corolle Calin or something similar) for her to get used to it... but is that weird? Would your DD (mine will be 2 in the fall) like & play with a baby boy doll, or would they much rather have a girl?
Or, for a girl baby doll, what Corolle version/ outfit does your DD like best?

Also, in your experience, do any of these dolls have blue eyes? I can't tell from the images on Amazon. DD has blue eyes, so it would be fun to have a doll kind of look like her (she's blonde, too, but I don't know if it's possible to pick that on one of these dolls, as they look mostly bald.). What other things should I be looking for?

I'm definitely a doll shopper newbie; ;) I didn't really think she would get into dolls as she's so in love with stuffed animals, but lately she's started picking up dolls at ECFE and at home (she just has a soft cloth one similar to a PBK one, and a cheapie dollar store doll).
It would be neat to have one with a pacifier or other fun features.

Thanks for your help! :waving4:

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2010, 06:53 AM
DD got a Corolle Tidoo (waterproof version of calin) when DS1 was born. It was great to see the video my mom got of her diapering the baby, swaddling the baby, and to find her settling into My Breast Friend when we weren't looking. I think she appreciated the fact hers a girls since she herself is a girl. Now she has some boy dolls, but she doesn't play with them as much. I want to think some of ours may have blue eyes, but I'm not sure.

We also have some of the corolle accessory kits.

ncat
07-06-2010, 07:27 AM
I think most dolls have blue eyes - we have had to make a special effort to find brown.

infomama
07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
We have 2 dds and lots of baby dolls one of which is a boy. He is just as loved as the rest but he doesn't get his clothes changed numerous times a day like the girl dolls. http://www.coolmompicks.com/2010/06/boys_love_playing_daddy.php

Seitvonzu
07-06-2010, 08:31 AM
i worked at a doll store in college- we have LOTS of baby dolls (esp. since dd is only 2.5). most are girls, and most have blue eyes-- i know for sure that our madame alexander huggems (soft bodied, hard head, very "dolly") has blue eyes, and our corolle calin has blue eyes. i'm pretty sure our corolle tidoo has blue eyes too. i actually think the brunette toddler/baby i bought might even have blue eyes. dolls tend to ... we have a couple african american dolls which of course have brown eyes and i've seen some generic "ethnic" dolls or asian dolls that of course have darker eyes.

we do have one boy doll. he's sorta loved, sorta not. he has crazy RED hair, and probably hazel eyes? his name is "baby paul." i actually bought him because he reminded me of my college boyfriend with the wild hair, wry smile and glasses. not a spitting image or anything, but the doll made ME smile :) he doesn't have any extra clothes-and extra clothes make a doll "rate" around here. the current favorite activity that happens all day every day is "practicing" with the doll clothes-- even the stuffed animals get in on the action. lu couldn't have cared less about her dolls until i dug out some outfits from my "future kids" stash i amassed in college. i'd say she literally can spend a good hour going through the clothes/shoes/socks/hats box and trying them on different dolls. the stuff is all different sizes, so i figure there is some pre-math going on as well as fine motor practice (with different closures, etc). all a bonus! :)

from previous posts about stuff, it doesn't seem to matter which baby you get so much as having some accessories for them to use with the baby (my kid was and is still WILD for her "diaper bag"-- we have the corolle one, but my mother gave her one from target and she likes that one too --it's a backpack style.... i really like the one offered at americangirl.com for their baby , but it's expensive and i have trouble justifying that when we already have the corolle one). you could even make a "crib" out of a sturdy shoe box & blanket-- the 12" corolles are a great size for that. :)

oh- and you mentioned a pacifier-- our "potty doll" came with that (as well as a bottle/potty/diaper/underwear)-- we have corolle "emma." she is a good price at www.liveandlearn.com they are a really nice online toy store that stands behind what they sell. we've ordered from them a few times even though we live in maryland and have to pay tax :( emma is a little weird looking, IMO, but every kid that comes over LOVES her. i'm not sure why, but she gets TONS of play-- more than any of the other babies around here.

Tenasparkl
07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
My daughter has a Corolle Tidoo that came in an striped outfit that I would describe as boyish. It also has blue eyes. We've been calling it Baby Nate since she just had a baby boy cousin. She loves it! I don't see it anymore on Amazon, but they have a few others that could be boys.

doberbrat
07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
we have boy dolls complete w/male anatomy. one is mine from my childhood and 2 others my mom bought. dd rotates them in and out of the 'love' pile. dh does require that they at least have something on their bottoms though. he's got hangups.

I say go for it.