PDA

View Full Version : help w/ bday gift ideas for 5 yo dd

mindyd
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
My dd is turning 5 in Aug and my mom is hounding me for ideas of bigger gifts, but little things too.

I was wondering what your 5yo is into b/c honestly I have no clue what we are getting her except maybe a scooter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

fivi2
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
My dds will be 5 in december, and I am already worried about what we will get!

I think bikes are a possibility. and those jewelry boxes with music and a spinning figure (like a ballerina or whatever). Maybe some clothes of a sort you don't normally buy (mine love stuff with sparkly rainbows and hearts that I apparently do not buy enough of!). We got a marble run at christmas that they like (one of the plastic quercetti ones). Oh, I may get a castle of some sort - duplo, lego, playmobil or other (or the disney one modeled on cinderella's castle if I am feeling crazy). Board games. We just started My Little Pony fascination, so I may give into that a bit... electronic stuff - computer games?

I think a scooter is a great idea!

swissair81
07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
does she like dolls? maybe a dollhouse? there are a few nice wooden sets.

ohiomom1121
07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Magnatiles or a DS? My DD is 5 and loves both of those things. She got one of the big barbie houses last year and really liked that too. Not sure how big you're wanting but she also loves her brother's jeep to drive around in.

ncat
07-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm trying to remember what DD liked best last year for her 5th birthday and Christmas - it shouldn't be this difficult for me!
She loves her pink Kleen Kanteen and fleece footed PJs (to match little brother), but neither is really a toy. She also got a jewelry box, which she likes. And art stuff - tape, glitter glue, etc.

swissair81
07-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I think I got dd the Playmobil Hospital for her 5th birthday.

nokialovers
07-08-2010, 01:27 AM
One of the most important things to remember when choosing toys for children is that they change rapidly, particularly in the first few years, and that a toy which entertains a 2 year old, will not entertain a 5 year old and vice versa. It is very important that the toy chosen for a child is appropriate to his age as children need different stimuli as they develop. If the toy is too advanced, he will not know how to play with it. If the toy is too primitive, he will be easily bored.

alien_host
07-08-2010, 02:11 AM
My 5yo DD loves Legos and the Quadrilla marble run.

mindyd
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. It seems like the doll house type of toy is a big hit. She loves all of those polly pocket sized Disney princesses, so maybe I should consider that. She has a bike and just learned to ride without her training wheels. We are looking at getting her a scooter. She does love art projects, but it seems like my house is overrun w/ stickers, crayons, etc.

I would like at craft project ideas that they may have like jewelry or clay or anything that is different from the typical coloring/painting/ etc. She had a paperoni thing at Christmas that she really liked, but it seems like a lot of the craft projects at Joann's etc are a little old....