PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to have a BIG baby!!!

newg
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
So because I'm diabetic I get to have an ultrasound every month.............so at my ultrasound today (32.5 weeks along) my little DD's head and tummy are measuring in the 95th percentile (almost 36 weeks) and her legs are arms are at least 34-35 weeks along!!!
The u.s. tech showed that her lungs are already working, moving her stomach muscles up and down when she breaths and she's between 5-6lbs................

Good thing I'm having a c-section!!!

MIL mentioned to me at their last visit that DH was 23'' long when he was born and almost 10lbs!!!!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Big babies aren't often any harder to birth, actually. Fat squishes. :) Position, that few Dr.s bring up, has an even bigger impact on labor success. I loved that ds2 was born at 9lb9oz b/c he was so sturdy. :) Can't wait to hear if they were accurate with their guess for you! The day before I went into labor they did an u/s and guesstimated the weight- they were close to a pound wrong.

Beth

swissair81
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
It could be that your baby will be big, but ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate in determining size. They can be off 2 lbs in either direction in the third trimester. So many people get induced early or are conned into having c-sections for big babies & then the baby is a perfectly normal size. It's very frustrating that OBs continue to get away with this deception.

JBaxter
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
my 10+lber w/ a 15 1/2 in head and 23 inwas easier to birth than my 8lber with a 14 1/2 in head 20 1/2in. I had u/s weekly after 32 weeks also they were right on with his u/s measurments. Hang in there bigger is not worse :D

newg
07-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I have to say I think they are pretty accurate, just based on what DD measured about this time same. She was born six weeks early (at week 34) and was 19 1/2'' long and 6.9lbs.
I had a c-section with her because she got stuck in the birth canal and they couldn't get her out, so we're going with another c-section based on my past experience.
I'm totally okay with it too, since last time I went through 20hrs. of labor before they made the decision to do the c-section and I really don't want to go through that again, only to decide on another c-section.

I'm kinda excited about having a bigger baby because DD was just sooooo tiny when she was born!!

wellyes
07-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I was told at 33 weeks DS was about 7 lbs (!!) and prepared for a big 'un. And at 37 weeks he came out at..... 6.2. By the time we left the hospital he was down to 5.11. So TINY. So you never know. But of course, big or small, they're all delicious :)

I'm totally okay with it too, since last time I went through 20hrs. of labor before they made the decision to do the c-section and I really don't want to go through that again, only to decide on another c-section.

YIKES. I had a friend successfully VBAC after a similar experience, and I say good for her .... but in your shoes, I would make the exact same choice.

mom2MandC
07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I have to say I agree that ultrasounds in the 3rd trimester are not that accurate for weight prediction. I had gestational diabetes and went weekly for ultrasounds for the last 8 weeks. They told me my daughter was 8lbs15oz three weeks before she was born - thinking she would be between 10 and 11 pounds when she was born (I had a planned csection at 39 weeks due to an emergency one with DD1)- she was 8lbs6ounces- still much larger than my 6 lb 14ounce first born, but not NEAR 10-11 pounds! Although at that point I said so be it, since I knew I was having a csection- as long as she was healthy, I was happy!
My friend was kind of talked into having a csection because they thought the baby was so big and the baby ended up being 7 pounds and change!!
I hope you are able to stay cool the last few weeks of pregnancy!

Momof3Labs
07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
My girls were estimated at over 8lbs each only 3 days before they were born - they were 7lbs and 7lbs3oz!

swissair81
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I have to say I think they are pretty accurate, just based on what DD measured about this time same. She was born six weeks early (at week 34) and was 19 1/2'' long and 6.9lbs.

OMG, wow! My 3 were:
#1 40 and 2/7 weeks- 6 lbs 5 oz, 19 in
#2 36 and 5/7 weeks- 5 lbs 11 oz, 18 in
#3 38 and 6/7 weeks- 6 lbs 5 oz, 19.75 in

swrc00
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
I had several ultrasounds due to a medical condition. Even though I was measuring big, the doctor said DS would not weigh anymore than 8lbs. I went one day past my due date and DS weighed 9 lbs 13 ozs and was 23 inches long. When I inquired at my 6 week check up about the accuracy of ultrasounds I was told they could be off as much as a pound either way. I loved having a big baby though. He was so good to cuddle with.

tmahanes
07-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Mine was underestimated.... a couple of weeks before B was born my OB said he would be every bit of 8lbs.... she was correct he was 8 lbs 20in with a 14in head.....but that was at 36 and 1/2 weeks.... can't imagine how big he would have been at 40 weeks!! :D