PDA

View Full Version : stroller and dining ??s

hlphillips2
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
We're traveling in November with DH, DDs who are 5 and 2 and my mom who doesn't walk well - so we will most likely be renting a wheelchair for at least two of the four days. I'm planning to bring the Joovy as well (we're flying and staying at a resort - so airport and no car rental). We're staying at the Contemporary resort. This is the first trip with the little ones so I have a crazy number of questions still!...

1) At the MK, it seems like it's a PITA to bring a stroller onto the monorail - true? The Joovy folds super fast and mom will be going slowly anyway, but would it be easier for me to just hoof it with the stroller and meet everyone else at the monorail station?
2) I've also heard that the train that goes around the park doesn't allow strollers? So would I need to leave the Joovy at the train station and hope that it's still there hours later when we return? Or do we do the same thing (I hoof it to Toontown while everyone else rides the train?)
3) I've also read that kids must order from the kids menu if we go with the dining plan. Anyone else had this experience? I ask because our kids would truly revolt if that was their only choice for four days. For buffets, do they have to eat from the kids section or could I just get them a plate of adult things? Or is there any issue if we switch plates at dinner (hey, I don't mind grilled cheese once in a while).
4) Anyone know approx. how long the bus ride is from the Contemporary to Animal Kingdom? Can we bring the Joovy on the bus or will we have to rent there? What about a wheelchair if my mom decides to bring one instead of rent?

BabyMine
07-06-2010, 11:09 PM
We went to Disney in May and stayed at The Contemporary.

1) At the MK, it seems like it's a PITA to bring a stroller onto the monorail - true? The Joovy folds super fast and mom will be going slowly anyway, but would it be easier for me to just hoof it with the stroller and meet everyone else at the monorail station? Nope it is extremely easy. I took my Bob Duallie Revolution and we just rolled it into our compartment.

2) I've also heard that the train that goes around the park doesn't allow strollers? So would I need to leave the Joovy at the train station and hope that it's still there hours later when we return? Or do we do the same thing (I hoof it to Toontown while everyone else rides the train) As far as my understading is about the train is that rented strollers are not allowed but if you can fold up your own stoller and it fits on the train then you can ride with it.

3) I've also read that kids must order from the kids menu if we go with the dining plan. Anyone else had this experience? I ask because our kids would truly revolt if that was their only choice for four days. For buffets, do they have to eat from the kids section or could I just get them a plate of adult things? Or is there any issue if we switch plates at dinner (hey, I don't mind grilled cheese once in a while).I can only answer the buffet question becasue we didn't us the plan. Every buffet we went to didn't have a different section for children. It was jusp one big buffet.

4) Anyone know approx. how long the bus ride is from the Contemporary to Animal Kingdom? Can we bring the Joovy on the bus or will we have to rent there? What about a wheelchair if my mom decides to bring one instead of rent?We took our Bob by bus to Hollywood Studios. We folded it up and it fit just fine. The only problem is that it fit where the wheelchair area was. We did notice that there are different configurations of thier buses becasue of the return bus ride we weren't in the wheelchair area.

klwa
07-07-2010, 06:52 AM
1) At the MK, it seems like it's a PITA to bring a stroller onto the monorail - true? The Joovy folds super fast and mom will be going slowly anyway, but would it be easier for me to just hoof it with the stroller and meet everyone else at the monorail station?
2) I've also heard that the train that goes around the park doesn't allow strollers? So would I need to leave the Joovy at the train station and hope that it's still there hours later when we return? Or do we do the same thing (I hoof it to Toontown while everyone else rides the train?)
3) I've also read that kids must order from the kids menu if we go with the dining plan. Anyone else had this experience? I ask because our kids would truly revolt if that was their only choice for four days. For buffets, do they have to eat from the kids section or could I just get them a plate of adult things? Or is there any issue if we switch plates at dinner (hey, I don't mind grilled cheese once in a while).
4) Anyone know approx. how long the bus ride is from the Contemporary to Animal Kingdom? Can we bring the Joovy on the bus or will we have to rent there? What about a wheelchair if my mom decides to bring one instead of rent?

Agree with PP pretty much
1) Strollers just roll onto the monorail. The only time you'd have a problem is if the m were packed.
2) Took our Capri onto the train with no problem. As PP said, they just don't allow the rental strollers on.
3) Buffets work great with kids because you CAN pick anything you want. (And a God-send for my husband, since he's happy eating mac n cheese all week....) As for Counter Service, you get different answers depending on who you talk to as to whether kids can get an adult meal.... Some say that the credits are just lumped together so you can get anything. Non-buffet table service, thouhg, you're stuck ordering off the kids menu.
4) Don't know the bus ride length (May want to check out a copy of the Unofficial Guide, sicne they give the bus ride lengths, etc.) However, we took our stroller on every bus our last trip & plan to this time as well. For those who bring their own wheelchairs, the bus lowers a ramp & they get strapped in staying in the w/c. We were told to hold onto our stroller on the bus, not to set it down where the wheelchairs went. But that may be becuase there were people using that area quite often.

alien_host
07-07-2010, 10:13 AM

We stayed at Bay Lake Tower and felt that walking was very fast/easy. We did the monorail w/ stroller (Mac Triumph) for 2 days and then realized it was faster to walk. BUT the stoller is fairly easy on the monorail. You do need to use the elevator at the CR, which can take a few minutes but you can roll the stroller right on the monorail. If it is crowded, just ask a CM if you can stand aside and wait for the next one with an empty car.

we folded the mac no problem

At table service, kids must order from the kids menu. California Grill at the CR has a great kids menu though, steak, salmon...I don't know about switching plates since DD is a kid food eater. I don't know if I'd swap the entire plate, but if your kids ate a few things off your plate I don't think that would be an issue, but I don't have experience with this.

At counter service you can go up and order all the meals and it doesn't matter if it is kids vs adult, IIRC, it's not tracked that way...for CS it's just total number of meals...TS is def. tracked kids vs adult.

We didn't go to AK, but did use the bus for DHS. It was fine with the stroller. Two ladies with electronic wheel chairs/scooters were on board so it was tight. DH folded the stoller and held it between his legs while sitting. Wheelchairs have first priority for the wheelchair "area" on the bus, it shouldn't be a problem for your mom
Have fun!

egoldber
07-07-2010, 10:22 AM
The train around the MK does allow strollers, but they have to be folded. The park rental strollers cannot be folded and they cannot be taken on the train.

I am sure WDW would want you to order kids CS meals, but the DDP doesn't track credits like that.

FWIW, if you don't use the dining plan, my kids often split one adult CS meal which is cheaper than two kid meals. You can also order a meal without sides if you prefer and it is cheaper that way. I typically pack in sides and drinks and it works out better for us that way.

hlphillips2
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much! Incredibly helpful as always :bowdown:
Like the "sides" idea, at least to provide the kids some variety occasionally. I'm planning to bring snacks anyway, so if they don't consume those by mealtime they can become sides!