PDA

View Full Version : You moved 2 years ago, please change your address!

mikeys_mom
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
We moved into our current home almost 2 years ago. The former owner is still getting a lot of mail to this address. Until last summer, they were coming by regularly to pick up their mail. I have no idea why it has been so difficult for them to just change their address. Whatever... I just keep a box under a kitchen counter and throw their mail into it. At one point I noticed the pile had grown quite large. Kept meaning to look them up, never got around to it. About a month ago, their daughter came by asking if we had any mail. I handed her the box. She wanted to know if anything came that day. Told her that I had not picked up the mail yet - we are considered a "rural area" it doesn't come to the door, we have to go pick it up from the box at the corner. I was home alone with all 4 kids and was not about to trek out to the mailbox right then. She wanted to take my key and go get the mail. Umm, no. Not your house anymore...

I told her to call me later than day or the next day and I would let her know if anything came. Apparently her father was expecting a "very important" letter with a cheque in it. If it was that important, why could you not direct it to the correct location!!!

I told her that from now on, I was going to mark "moved" on any mail they get and return it to the sender because I am not a mailbox. It has been almost 2 years. I think I have gone above and beyond at this point. She didn't seem to care.

Last week the mother shows up, again unannounced and right as I was trying to get DS off to soccer practice and the other kids to bed, coming to see if there was any mail. Told her that 2 or 3 letters came and that I marked "moved" on them and sent them back as I did not want to have a big stack build-up anymore. She asked who the letters were from. I.am.not.your.personal.mail.service!!!! I don't know! She was a bit agitated about those letters. Said that this was complicated and that she had complained to the post office that her mail is mixed up. Um, lady, perhaps you should tell the senders that you moved and maybe then your mail will come to the correct location?!?

I get a call from her today asking if there is any mail for her and again complaining about those few letters I sent back and asking that I not do that anymore. Oy! Please, leave me alone with the mail. Why is this so complicated?!?

This got longer than I had planned. Thanks for listening.

TwinFoxes
07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
OMG! You are welcome to write a long BP, because that is insane! It's bad enough they are still having mail sent to your place, but to complain to you?

I'm sure they're running some sort of scam. Like they're getting county benefits, or are sending their kids to a school in your school district, so they can't let on that they moved. That's why she's so concerned about who the letters were from.

glbb35
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
That is terrible. You held out for a long time. I would have written "send back to sender" by months end. It does sound like they are trying to scam someone and now you are in the middle of it.

Next time they contact you simply tell them you sent a notice to the post office that they do not live there and that no mail for them should be put into your box and that you also alerted the local authorities and they may follow up as to why their mail is in your box since change of addresses have been made.

It would offend me a lot if the previous owners of our house that we now live in did something like that. Sounds fishy...

B

KrisM
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Ugh. How annoying! I'd keep marking moved on the pieces too.

The Post Office can screw up, as can other places, but not that bad!

I lived with my brother and SIL for 3 months. Yes, 3 whole months! Twelve years later, a marriage for me, 3 houses for me and 2 for them, and we still get eachothers mail. I get pregnant - she gets baby coupons. Three years after I moved out, I got their mortgage bill - the Post Office had told their mortgage company that they had moved to my address! And, last year, which was our 4th in this house, my Social Security Statement got sent to my old house. Why? I don't know. The SS people said I must have filed my 2008 taxes from my old address - um no! I did nothing and got the SS statement at the right place this year.

mikeys_mom
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
They are an older couple - maybe in their 60's. No young kids. They moved just a little north of here, same district. I don't think there is any scam going on, I just think that they are not very swift. We had issues with them on moving day and prior to the closing date, that makes me think they just don't have things organized.

hollybloom24
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
This is still happening with us with our former owners, 7 years later! I just write their "new" address on the outside of the envelope and write "please forward" on the envelope and it seems to work.

People are strange!!!

MontrealMum
07-07-2010, 04:34 PM
That's just crazy! I'd be peeved too. We sometimes get mail for previous occupants, but it's usually just junky mail or mass mailings for companies fishing around for more customers/sales. Not actual mail that means anything - that's all been redirected and the previous owner has changed her address with things that matter.

Though the guy two before us (who ran a business out of the house) gets things like pens and other free samples a lot. I got sick of it and started opening the mailers that obviously had things in them. We've got a good stock of pens going now :)

I know in Canada you do have to pay to have your mail redirected, but still, if you change your address with the bank/school/hydro/insurance etc. - all of which you can do online these days! - you shouldn't have to redirect all that much, KWIM? I bet they're running some odd scam too. I wouldn't hesitate to mark everything "return to sender, no longer at this address" and plunk it back in the box either.

mikeys_mom
07-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Ugh. How annoying! I'd keep marking moved on the pieces too.

The Post Office can screw up, as can other places, but not that bad!

I lived with my brother and SIL for 3 months. Yes, 3 whole months! Twelve years later, a marriage for me, 3 houses for me and 2 for them, and we still get eachothers mail. I get pregnant - she gets baby coupons. Three years after I moved out, I got their mortgage bill - the Post Office had told their mortgage company that they had moved to my address! And, last year, which was our 4th in this house, my Social Security Statement got sent to my old house. Why? I don't know. The SS people said I must have filed my 2008 taxes from my old address - um no! I did nothing and got the SS statement at the right place this year.

That is pretty crazy!

Yes, the mail is also complicated because their kids are all in their 20ies but still using the parents' as "home-base". So they each have different forwarding instructions for the post office, which I am sure is complicating matters. Still, not my problem. Plus, the bulk of the mail comes for the parents.

sidmand
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
That's crazy! You are much kinder to do this for two years than I would've been. It just sounds strange. You've done your part and I think telling them you've put moved on them and they need to get it straightened out on their end is totally reasonable. If they don't "get" it I would tell them you're contacting the authorities so they don't harass you anymore!

lizzywednesday
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I thought I was the only one to whom this happened, albeit without the former owners showing up @ my house unannounced. I felt really irritated that they are evidently getting mail from a relative, though, and didn't bother to inform said relative of the move.

The worst was getting a package for their DS at Christmas time. I ended up calling their listing agent to come & pick that up because I thought the kid should get whatever gift was in that box!

HIU8
07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Been there done that. I was getting death registry notices for the husband of the lady we bought the house from (along with some other mail). I just looked up her address and marked it on the envelope EACH.AND.EVERY.TIME.I.GOT.HER.MAIL. It stopped after 5 LONG years. Also, she is very friendly with my neighbor, so sometimes I just walk random stuff over to her (not a far walk though). I did tell my neighbor to tell this lady to please give her current address to the companies/organizations still sending mail to the old address. Seems to have worked mostly.

swissair81
07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
My mother still gets mail for my father (who never lived at her current residence) who passed away 23 years ago. Some of them are from the same organization- 1 letter for Mr & Mrs <first married name> & another for Mr & Mrs <second married name>.

I don't save any mail for people who don't live at my house though. I am not their mail service.

HIU8
07-07-2010, 07:26 PM
The only reason I do what I do (and not so much anymore) is b/c the old owner of my house happens to be a good friend of a friend of my parents. If there were not at least that type of connection I have to admit, I would probably either just say return to sender or pitch it.

mikeys_mom
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Though the guy two before us (who ran a business out of the house) gets things like pens and other free samples a lot. I got sick of it and started opening the mailers that obviously had things in them. We've got a good stock of pens going now :)

I know in Canada you do have to pay to have your mail redirected, but still, if you change your address with the bank/school/hydro/insurance etc. - all of which you can do online these days! - you shouldn't have to redirect all that much, KWIM? I bet they're running some odd scam too. I wouldn't hesitate to mark everything "return to sender, no longer at this address" and plunk it back in the box either.

They paid for mail forwarding for 6 months, although during that time we were still getting a lot of stuff for this guy's business that he was running out of the house. I think they only forwarded personal stuff and not business stuff, likely because they didn't want to pay another $60 to forward for the business.

I honestly have no idea why this seems to be so complicated for them to figure out. We moved and had to do the whole address change thing as well and AFAIK we have not had any problems. All our stuff seems to have made it to the correct address. We did mail forwarding for 1 year, because it was only a nominal amount more $$ than for 6 months, but these guys are super cheap so I'm sure that's why they only did 6 months. At the beginning it seemed not a big deal to put their stuff aside for them to come and pick-up regularly. She did have a tendency to show up unannounced when it was not that convenient for me and I would ask her to come back, or tell her I'd leave it outside the next day. I just got used to throwing their mail in the designated box and didn't think much of it. Now that she is complaining about it, it occurs to me that it has been 2 years and they should be able to figure out how to change their address properly.

I don't want to know their new address as then they are the types to EXPECT me to forward to them so no way I am going that route. DH says we should put a box outside and tell her that we will put it there and she can come by and pick it up when she wants but please not to call or ring the bell. I might try that the next time she calls. I am just so ready to be done with these people.

kijip
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow. They have some nerve to complain to you. I would have been marking every item Please forward, addressee moved since day 1. Though now I would just mark it RTS Addressee Unknown or put it through my shredder. Brats!

MontrealMum
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
DH says we should put a box outside and tell her that we will put it there and she can come by and pick it up when she wants but please not to call or ring the bell. I might try that the next time she calls. I am just so ready to be done with these people.

I think that this is a great idea! One time of getting wet from either rain or snow would be the kick in the pants that most people would need to get their act together. Though with these people, :confused:

ShanaMama
07-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I thought I was the only one who dealt with this! What is with people and not forwarding their mail? There were far too many people living in my tiny house before we bought it & we were getting piles of mail for them. My mailman is a darling as he actually sorts our mail & only delivers our stuff and catalogs, etc that are adressed to current resident. I can tell when he takes a day off becuase I get the other people's mail. I either throw t out or write RTS wrong address if it looks important.
Are we going to discuss the collection calls we get for theses people? Ever four or five months the debts get sold or transeferred to a new company and someone gets the brilliant idea to do a reverse address lookup & harass me over the previous residents' debts. I guess we can save the details for a whole 'nother thread.

brittone2
07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I think the OP's situation is way over the top. Those people sound crazy.

On the other hand, I just moved out of state a few weeks ago. We set up our new change of address, etc. well in advance. Thankfully my parents were still in the area and would swing in...to find my mailbox *stuffed* multiple times.

In my old hometown, the local post office was absolutely horrible. I mean, they were a joke. My mail carrier was similarly awful (I have many old threads on here about her dropping packages out her car window into my driveway where they became rain soaked and damaged and other loveliness). It took multiple calls to the PO there in order to get things (somewhat?) straightened out. I have no doubt that the people about to buy our home in a few days will still get mail for us. And obviously once the house closes, my parents can't check my mailbox for me any longer, so I'll be crossing my fingers all pertinent info reaches us here.

It has been a very frustrating experience. We were getting mail at the new address but were simultaneously getting a boatload of mail at the old address. I've never had a problem to this degree, but I was not totally surprised based on my history with the post office in our old hometown.

But yeah, OP, it sounds like you are dealing with a totally insane situation.

fivi2
07-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Wow - you are all very nice people. I can honestly say that 98% of mail I receive for other people goes straight to my trash without a second thought. Occasionally I get my neighbor's mail, and I of course take that over. (one day the mail carrier did our entire street off by one house - I think he was trying to get us to meet our neighbors!). If I happen to think it looks important, I might take the time to write "wrong address" on the envelope and stick it back in my box. Or I might not. For the first 6 months or so of moving into a house, I'd be more considerate, but not after that.

niccig
07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Go to your post office and talk to the manager. Tell them they won't change their address, can their mail please be held at the Post Office and they'll have to pick it up there. When they contact you again, tell them it's at the Post Office. I don't think it'll take long for them to change their contact details as the Post Office won't keep holding it for 2 years like you did.

You're very nice.

karstmama
07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
ooh, nicci has a great idea.

in the us, you fill out a postcard with the old & new addresses & it doesn't cost anything. i was gonna suggest you just fill out the change of addy form, but i didn't know there was a fee in canada. so my suggestion is to print a page of labels to put on their mail & put back in the box that says something like 'these crazy fools haven't lived here in two years but are too lazy to put in a change of address - return to sender'. ;)

yournamehere
07-08-2010, 11:37 AM

In the us, you fill out a postcard with the old & new addresses & it doesn't cost anything. I was gonna suggest you just fill out the change of addy form, but i didn't know there was a fee in canada. So my suggestion is to print a page of labels to put on their mail & put back in the box that says something like 'these crazy fools haven't lived here in two years but are too lazy to put in a change of address - return to sender'. ;)

:rotflmao:

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
We still have problems getting the previous owners quarterly tax documents. I used to drop them off at his office, but after 4 years, I've returned them to sender. Recently I taped a piece of paper in the mailbox that says "Mail ONLY for OURLASTNAME" and it has finally elliminated it.
I'd be tempted to lock the mailbox if it isn't already for fear that they may start rummaging through there...

nov04
07-08-2010, 07:46 PM
You're much nicer than me!!!! I started sending back the old owner's stuff "rts-moved" a month after we moved in. I was especially happy to do this when they screwed us for 1K during the closing.

wellyes
07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Yes, the mail is also complicated because their kids are all in their 20ies but still using the parents' as "home-base". So they each have different forwarding instructions for the post office, which I am sure is complicating matters. Still, not my problem. Plus, the bulk of the mail comes for the parents.
I am guessing they won't inform the post office of the proper address due to social security fraud or something similar. My mother worked for SSA and it was a not-that-rare tactic.

I'd mark the messages RTS.

mikeys_mom
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Go to your post office and talk to the manager. Tell them they won't change their address, can their mail please be held at the Post Office and they'll have to pick it up there. When they contact you again, tell them it's at the Post Office. I don't think it'll take long for them to change their contact details as the Post Office won't keep holding it for 2 years like you did.

You're very nice.

in the us, you fill out a postcard with the old & new addresses & it doesn't cost anything. i was gonna suggest you just fill out the change of addy form, but i didn't know there was a fee in canada. so my suggestion is to print a page of labels to put on their mail & put back in the box that says something like 'these crazy fools haven't lived here in two years but are too lazy to put in a change of address - return to sender'. ;)

Love both of these suggestions. :D

mikeys_mom
07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Of course today, something arrives for their son in the mail. It is from the gov't, looks to be a cheque, but I can't say for sure. I remember when we moved in, their daughter mentioning that her brother is living overseas and that he was going to have his mail forwarded to his girlfriend here. I recall that it took a few months for him to get his act together and start forwarding the mail. Clearly he has not changed the address because the forwarding has ended and now cheques are coming here again. I was tempted to put it in the pile for when they call next month, but this thread has inspired me to just write "moved - RTS" and dump it back in the mailbox. I feel a little bit evil, but hoping that maybe this will get these people to take some action!!!

MamaMolly
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I feel a little bit evil, but hoping that maybe this will get these people to take some action!!!

Seriously? You feel a bit evil after these people have taken advantage of you for TWO YEARS? We may need an intervention. You are here-by officially absolved of any and I mean *ANY* guilty feelings about this. These people are USERS and you have been more than reasonable. Being nice is one thing, but their mail is *their* responsibility. If they don't want to pay to get their mail then, ok, they don't get their mail.

mikeys_mom
07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Seriously? You feel a bit evil after these people have taken advantage of you for TWO YEARS? We may need an intervention. You are here-by officially absolved of any and I mean *ANY* guilty feelings about this. These people are USERS and you have been more than reasonable. Being nice is one thing, but their mail is *their* responsibility. If they don't want to pay to get their mail then, ok, they don't get their mail.

Thanks! Ok, no more guilt! DH told me I was nuts for even thinking about hanging on to the letter. I guess I felt bad for a minute because I had told the woman that I wouldn't write RTS on mail anymore and now I feel like I lied. But the more I think about the more I just don't care because they need to get their act together.

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Yay good for you!

Next time they come over, don't bother answering the door...