PDA

View Full Version : On-site and off-site lodging & other questions

caribbeanmama
07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi all,

We are in the process of finalizing our WDW plans and I am overwhelmed with all the different lodging options. I spent hours on mousesaver.com, but I am, well, still confused:dizzy:

Here's our plan. I am hoping some of you WDW experienced ladies can give me some suggestions. This is our first time going to WDW.

We will be staying almost two weeks in the Orlando area. First week we will be on our own. Second week we will be with extended family at my sister's timeshare (off-site), which means that we have no lodging expenses (yes, I have a GREAT sister!)

So for the first week, since we need lodging, I am debating if we should stay on or off site. Since we are being extremely budget conscious these days, at first glance, it seems that on-site rates are too expensive. But at the same time, I have seen the kids stay and play free offer and that is s huge savings.

The hotels we are considering off-site are the Hilton, Radisson and the Dolphin. Actually, all these hotels are on-site, but are not WDW operated. With these hotels, you get shuttle or boat service, and kids eat free (an insentive for us)

BUT, and this is a huge but, I want to save as much money as possible. What do you think is a better deal, going for the kids eat and play free or saving on the lodging and kids' meals at the above mentioned hotels?

For comparison purposes:
Dolphin Resort is quoting me $149/night with my teacher's discount.

I looked at Priceline too and the Hilton is about $892 for seven nights, Radisson is about $600 for seven nights (kids eat free at Radisson).

The kids stay and play free would be about $1,603 at the Value or about $2,000 for PQR-FQ for seven days.

FWIW we are a family of five with two little boys who have very healthy appetites. They are used to three meals a day, plus healthy snacks. I have gotten them used to "real" food and we don't often order meals from kiddie menus and such. Hence the insentive of Radisson's kids eat for free ;)

TIA!!!

billysmommy
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
You would still need to factor in ticket prices for off-site while the ticket price is included if you priced the on-site as a package.

I just bought ours and 8 day park hoppers for 2 adults, 2 children is ~$1150.

egoldber
07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
The kids stay and play free would be about $1,603 at the Value or about $2,000 for PQR-FQ for seven days.

Does this include the dining plan (paying OOP)? Otherwise that is very high for both of those resorts. That's $229 a night for the Value and $285 a night for the moderate, both of which are way too high.

Remember that with the Radission, even with the kids eat free, how many meals are you really going to eat at the resort? And are you restricted to kid meals from the kid menu on that plan? And often it is when you buy an adult entree, which are often very expensive.

With the Dolphin, you will actually use WDW buses. Those buses are shared with the Yacht Club, Beach Club and Boardwalk hotels. You can also walk to Epcot and DHS from the Dolphin. The other offsite hotels use their own bus system and it is not as convenient.

ETA: The Hilton and Radisson are not on-site. They are VERY close, but not on site. They are close to Downtown Disney, which can be convenient.

DebbieJ
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I would totally stay on site for the sake of convenience given that you have three kids.

caribbeanmama
07-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Does this include the dining plan (paying OOP)? Otherwise that is very high for both of those resorts. That's $229 a night for the Value and $285 a night for the moderate, both of which are way too high.

Remember that with the Radission, even with the kids eat free, how many meals are you really going to eat at the resort? And are you restricted to kid meals from the kid menu on that plan? And often it is when you buy an adult entree, which are often very expensive.

With the Dolphin, you will actually use WDW buses. Those buses are shared with the Yacht Club, Beach Club and Boardwalk hotels. You can also walk to Epcot and DHS from the Dolphin. The other offsite hotels use their own bus system and it is not as convenient.

ETA: The Hilton and Radisson are not on-site. They are VERY close, but not on site. They are close to Downtown Disney, which can be convenient.

I am still trying to figure out this promo. The kids stay and play free is very confusing. I am leaning towards either staying at the Dolphin or on WDW property.

caribbeanmama
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I would totally stay on site for the sake of convenience given that you have three kids.

Yep. My gut feeling tells me this is what we should do.

caribbeanmama
07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
You would still need to factor in ticket prices for off-site while the ticket price is included if you priced the on-site as a package.

I just bought ours and 8 day park hoppers for 2 adults, 2 children is ~$1150.

That sounds like a very good deal. Mind sharing more info.

billysmommy
07-07-2010, 09:50 PM
That sounds like a very good deal. Mind sharing more info.

We buy them through Undercovertourist.com. If you subscribe to the mousesavers newsletter, it has a link for a slightly discounted price from the regular site.
But if you book a package through Disney you have to get your tickets as part of the package. But with a room-only booking (with or without discount) then you don't have to get tickets through Disney.

Tinkerbell313
07-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I am still trying to figure out this promo. The kids stay and play free is very confusing. I am leaning towards either staying at the Dolphin or on WDW property.

The kids stay and play free is free park tickets for children ages 3 to 9. Kids are free in the room anyway since you pay per room and not per person in the room. You pay rack rate for the room (disney only allows for one discount...no stacking...so you cant get a room discount with the kids stay and play free promo). You pay for park tickets for anyone over the age of 9. If there is anyone under the age of 3 at the time you check into the hotel, that child is considered free for the length of your trip for park entry.

Its important to see what discounts are going on...and where you are staying onsite and compare.

We are going in Sept. We had the option of either free dining plan or room discount. Because we are staying at AKL, the 40% room discount saves us more money then the free dining plan for two adults and two children.

However, if we were staying at a value resort, the free dining plan would be a better option than a room discount and would save us more money.

We are choosing not to do park hoppers. This will save us $200 ($50 per ticket). We are going at a time when I don't believe park hopping is necessary.

egoldber
07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
OP, I think you are going in August? So I think you have a choice of discounts:

1) free kids tickets for kids aged 3-9

2) free dining (note, this is the quick service dining plan in a Value resort)

3) a % off room rates

If it were ME, and I wanted to save as much money as possible, I would pay "full rate" at a Value and get the free kid park tickets. You'll pay less than $100 a night for the room and get a substantial savings on tickets. I think the QS dining plan is not considered a good value (vs the full service plan) so IMO I would pay OOP for dining. That will also give you a lot more flexibility on when and how you eat.

egoldber
07-08-2010, 09:35 AM
OK, so I just re-read your OP. Since you are there 2 weeks, will you be going to WDW again the second week with your extended family? If so, then I change my vote. :)

I *believe* with the "kids stay & play free" promo, those are for length of stay tickets, that is tickets that are only good while you are a WDW resort guest. If you need park tickets again for the second week, that means you would have to buy tickets again! The price difference between a 5 day and 14 day ticket is almost zero.

You may even want to consider buying an annual pass for at least one adult. That way you could get AP discounts on rooms, at some stores and some meals.

So maybe consider the free dining for that week in a Value or a room discount at a moderate/low deluxe.

caribbeanmama
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
OK, so I just re-read your OP. Since you are there 2 weeks, will you be going to WDW again the second week with your extended family? If so, then I change my vote. :)

I *believe* with the "kids stay & play free" promo, those are for length of stay tickets, that is tickets that are only good while you are a WDW resort guest. If you need park tickets again for the second week, that means you would have to buy tickets again! The price difference between a 5 day and 14 day ticket is almost zero.

You may even want to consider buying an annual pass for at least one adult. That way you could get AP discounts on rooms, at some stores and some meals.

So maybe consider the free dining for that week in a Value or a room discount at a moderate/low deluxe.

Thanks Beth! :bowdown:

Okay, I just finished talking to WDW and this is what I was told. If you go with the kids stay/play free offer, you have 14 days to use the tickets, so after we leave the resort we can still use the tickets. Good!

I priced two options, one with the quick service dining plan and one withiout at a Value for 8 nights:

$1,782.66 with 10-day tickets for two adults at a standard room ($1,911.88 at a preferred room).

$2,434.34 with the above plus the quick service meal plan.

That is a $671 dollar difference. Do you think this meal plan is worth it? The agent told me that you still get plenty of food with this option, plus other perks.

Oh and btw, I did ask about the annual pass purchase. She said you can't get an annual pass with the kids stay and play free offer.

Another question, would you stay at the POP instead of the All-Sta Movies? The agent suggested the POP because of the bus service and location to the food court. At least that is what I think I heard...since I had screaming children in the background.

Thanks so much ladies. We are slowly getting there :boogie:

egoldber
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
It always helps me to price everything separately. This is why I hate packages!

I would look at...

1) Price of room only (with discount) + 2 adult & 2 kid tickets + estimated dining costs [Room Discount promo]

2) Price of room (no discount) + 2 adult tickets + etimated dining costs [Kid Stay&Play promo]

3) Price of room (no discount) + 2 adult & 2 kid tickets + $0 dining costs [Free Dining Promo]

Will you be OK with no table service dining at all? Or I suppose you could do that the week you go with your family.

ETA: Of the Values, we have only stayed at Pop. We like Pop very much and the kids love it.

caribbeanmama
07-08-2010, 02:29 PM
It always helps me to price everything separately. This is why I hate packages!

I would look at...

1) Price of room only (with discount) + 2 adult & 2 kid tickets + estimated dining costs [Room Discount promo]

2) Price of room (no discount) + 2 adult tickets + etimated dining costs [Kid Stay&Play promo]

3) Price of room (no discount) + 2 adult & 2 kid tickets + $0 dining costs [Free Dining Promo]

Will you be OK with no table service dining at all? Or I suppose you could do that the week you go with your family.

ETA: Of the Values, we have only stayed at Pop. We like Pop very much and the kids love it.

Okay thanks. Regarding option 3, the free dining promo does not start until August 15th (bummer).

I forgot to mention too that my FIL will be attending conference at the Gaylord Resort part of the time we will be there. I anticipate that we will be having some meals with them and they always treat us. This might make getting the meal plan less appealing. But, if worse comes to worse, I guess we could alwys just add the meal plan once we get there.

caribbeanmama
07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, here's an update on our plans. As it turns out, DH is now open to driving to WDW. It is GREAT staying fourteen days at WDW, but realistically speaking (with three kiddos), it just makes more sense to drive even if it takes two days.

So...now we will have our minivan with us (I am thrilled) and we can take as much as we want :boogie:

That opens up the possibility to staying at a non-operated WDW resort, but I definitely want to be on DWD property.

Questions:

1) If you stay on site, but not at a WDW property, can you still ride WDW busses, boats and the monorail? I am thinking that I wouldn't want to drive to MK, but instead use WDW busses since they take you in the closest to the entrance.

2) I think I read somewhere that no babysitting is available at the Values, is that correct? I think you only get babysitting services with the Deluxes.

3) Regarding the meal plans, do you really get plenty of food with the Quick Service plan, or do you think is worth upgrading the Plus option?

4) Finally, I have been dsecting the different offers. The best one right now is still Kids Stay and Play Free. At POP, with kids stay/play free and quick service meal plan = $2,085. With Plus meal plan = $2,337.

Any feedback? TIA

egoldber
07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
1) If you stay on site, but not at a WDW property, can you still ride WDW busses, boats and the monorail? I am thinking that I wouldn't want to drive to MK, but instead use WDW busses since they take you in the closest to the entrance.

1. The only on-site properties that are not WDW owned are the Swan and Dolphin. They have WDW bus service. They share with the other Epcot area resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club) so the bus service is not dedicated or speedy. But you can walk to Epcot and DHS. You can always ride the buses, boats, etc. even if you are not a WDW resort guest.

2. Some of the deluxes have "Kid Clubs" on site, but not all. Technically WDW does not offer babysitting. There are several babysitting services that will come to your hotel room, but they are not "official" WDW babysitting services. It doesn't matter where you are staying. And in fact, you can use the Kid Clubs at a Deluxe resort if it is convenient for you even if you are not staying at that hotel.

3. We typically only eat QS meals with 2-3 table service across our whole stay. We always rent a car though and this time we even checked food through as luggage to minimize costs. We find that QS provides plenty of food.

But in general I don't think the QS meal plan is considered a good buy. That is, you don't save much if any money vs paying OOP.

Momof3Labs
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, here's an update on our plans. As it turns out, DH is now open to driving to WDW. It is GREAT staying fourteen days at WDW, but realistically speaking (with three kiddos), it just makes more sense to drive even if it takes two days.

So...now we will have our minivan with us (I am thrilled) and we can take as much as we want :boogie:

That opens up the possibility to staying at a non-operated WDW resort, but I definitely want to be on DWD property.

Questions:

2) I think I read somewhere that no babysitting is available at the Values, is that correct? I think you only get babysitting services with the Deluxes.

3) Regarding the meal plans, do you really get plenty of food with the Quick Service plan, or do you think is worth upgrading the Plus option?

4) Finally, I have been dsecting the different offers. The best one right now is still Kids Stay and Play Free. At POP, with kids stay/play free and quick service meal plan = $2,085. With Plus meal plan = $2,337.

Any feedback? TIA

1) the only non-wdw properties truly onsite are the Dolphin and Swan. There are others close by, but they are not serviced by Disney-operated transportation. Anyone can use the boats, monorail and Disney busses. If you do not stay at a Disney resort (or the Dolphin or Swan), you are dropped at the Ticket & Transportation Center and must take a Disney bus or monorail or boat to the park of your choice.

2) Disney does not have babysitting. They have childcare clubs at most of the deluxe resorts. You can hire someone from a private company to care for your kids at the hotel, or can use the kids' clubs at any resort (which may have a minimum age of 3, I don't remember).

3) Disney dining, to me, is supremely disappointing. Some of it is good, a lot of it is mediocre, and some of it (more counter service than table service) is downright awful. I'm not a huge fan of the dining plan, but on the other hand, don't like eating counter service all week long. The kids' options are particularly limited for counter service.

4) For $250 more, I'd go with the plus dining option (which I think gets you 1 table service + 1 counter service + 1 snack per day). You'd drop almost that much on two character meals for your family, so why not do a character meal every day for the additional money?

Momof3Labs
07-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I swear that I did not copy answers 1 and 2 from Beth. I hit reply and didn't come back for a while!

I do agree with Beth that the quick service meal plan doesn't seem like a good deal at all. You can look at menus on allearsnet.com to see typical prices and determine if it is worth it for your family. We bring or buy a lot of food, too - most of our breakfast food, almost all of our snacks, and some lunches are brought or bought at a local grocery store. We just get so sick of the CS options at Disney.

caribbeanmama
07-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I swear that I did not copy answers 1 and 2 from Beth. I hit reply and didn't come back for a while!

I do agree with Beth that the quick service meal plan doesn't seem like a good deal at all. You can look at menus on allearsnet.com to see typical prices and determine if it is worth it for your family. We bring or buy a lot of food, too - most of our breakfast food, almost all of our snacks, and some lunches are brought or bought at a local grocery store. We just get so sick of the CS options at Disney.

Thanks Lori for the great tips! I am saving all these replies.

caribbeanmama
07-10-2010, 07:24 PM
1. The only on-site properties that are not WDW owned are the Swan and Dolphin. They have WDW bus service. They share with the other Epcot area resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club) so the bus service is not dedicated or speedy. But you can walk to Epcot and DHS. You can always ride the buses, boats, etc. even if you are not a WDW resort guest.

2. Some of the deluxes have "Kid Clubs" on site, but not all. Technically WDW does not offer babysitting. There are several babysitting services that will come to your hotel room, but they are not "official" WDW babysitting services. It doesn't matter where you are staying. And in fact, you can use the Kid Clubs at a Deluxe resort if it is convenient for you even if you are not staying at that hotel.

3. We typically only eat QS meals with 2-3 table service across our whole stay. We always rent a car though and this time we even checked food through as luggage to minimize costs. We find that QS provides plenty of food.

But in general I don't think the QS meal plan is considered a good buy. That is, you don't save much if any money vs paying OOP.

I see. We are still debating about the meal plan. Generally, we like to start the day with a full, nutritious breakfast. It really does hold us up a long time. I figure we could pack our own lunches and then do dinners with grandparents (who most likely will treat).

So the only non WDW hotel is the Swan/Dolphin, huh. I thought the Hilton and Doubletree were also on site, but not WDW owned, no?

ETA: Not that I don't trust you Beth and Lori. I am just confused (maybe by reading too much) by Mousesavers.com's description of which hotels are non-wdw operated, but are "on-site". But I know you ladies are WDW vets so I trust your feedback.

egoldber
07-10-2010, 07:31 PM
There are many hotels that are adjacent to WDW property and as close as many WDW hotels, even closer than some. Some even offer EMH hours to their guests. But the only non-WDW hotels to offer actual WDW bus service are the Swan and Dolphin. If it were *me*, I would not stay at a non-WDW hotel without a rental car. The bus service to WDW from the non-WDW hotels is generally considered very poor, especially in the middle of the day.

The Hilton is very close to Downtown Disney and you can probably use the DTD buses. It will be a hot walk to Hilton from DTD in August though.

Also realize that if you are not a WDW resort guest, you have to pay for parking at the theme parks.

caribbeanmama
07-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Okay, got it! Thanks Beth.

Momof3Labs
07-10-2010, 08:45 PM
note that DTD does not offer bus service to the theme parks, so if you plan to use DTD busses, you will need to first go to a resort, then grab transportation to the theme park. It will probably take you a good 1-1.5hrs to get from the hotel to the theme park using this approach.

I also consider a hotel on-site if it uses the Disney bus system. Only the WDW-operated hotels plus the Swan plus the Dolphin fall in this category. Nothing else does, even though it may be quite close to the action, you are still subject to a much more limited transportation system.

hellbennt
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
chiming in:
we've stayed at the Pop and I'd return!:thumbsup:
their quick service (I think it's quick service and not counter service?) has a wide variety of foods (yogurts, fruit, etc)

the pop has great direct buses even to downtown disney

egoldber
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I think it's quick service and not counter service

It's the same thing. :)

hellbennt
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
ok then:
I vote for Pop Century, lol.
But, I'd also be up for trying the swan/dolphin, as per the experts here:wavey::)

caribbeanmama
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
ok then:
I vote for Pop Century, lol.
But, I'd also be up for trying the swan/dolphin, as per the experts here:wavey::)

LOL, and wouldn't you know that we are highly considering the Dolphin now. Their teacher's rate is very appealing and we may forgo the dining plan anyway with the POP. Don't get me wrong, we would stay at the POP, but DH wants a tad more amenities.

hellbennt
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
can you share about teacher rate? I am a guidance counselor:waving4:

caribbeanmama
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
can you share about teacher rate? I am a guidance counselor:waving4:

Sure thing. I couldn't determine how much of a discount I would get with the different offers by looking over their website, so best bet is to call Swan/Dolphin or Sheraton directly and ask for the teacher rate. The agent explained that I would be getting a better deal with the teacher rate than with my AAA. We were able to get a standard room for approx. $139/night.

You *have* to bring your teacher or staff ID when you check in in person. I also asked if I had to bring my most recent pay stub, but was told just my ID. I am planning to bring my pay stub just in case HTH.

Momof3Labs
07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
The Swan/Dolphin are wonderful. Nicer than most of the Disney deluxe resorts, even if they are lacking in some of the theming. Easy walk to Epcot or DHS, Boardwalk or BC/YC. The counter service restaurant is pretty pricey (even pricier than WDW). We reserved a standard room but were given an oversized room that overlooked (all in one view) Epcot, MK and AK. Join the hotel membership club - starwood rewards or whatever, they treat their members very well even if you don't have many points or "status" with the hotel chain!

The only downside, IMO, is the lack of Magical Express. Oh, and you have to pay for parking at the hotel.

caribbeanmama
07-14-2010, 09:26 AM
The Swan/Dolphin are wonderful. Nicer than most of the Disney deluxe resorts, even if they are lacking in some of the theming. Easy walk to Epcot or DHS, Boardwalk or BC/YC. The counter service restaurant is pretty pricey (even pricier than WDW). We reserved a standard room but were given an oversized room that overlooked (all in one view) Epcot, MK and AK. Join the hotel membership club - starwood rewards or whatever, they treat their members very well even if you don't have many points or "status" with the hotel chain!

The only downside, IMO, is the lack of Magical Express. Oh, and you have to pay for parking at the hotel.

Thanks Lori for the feedback. We are excited about the Dolphin :D