PDA

View Full Version : Another balance bike testimonial

brittone2
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
DS1 used and loved his balance bike (Puky). He rode without training wheels at age 5.5, but likely could have done so at least a year earlier but we didn't want to purchase a small pedal bike for him right away (he's on the shorter side and it took some time for him to be tall enough for a 16 inch bike). Once he started riding though he went right to doing skids, wheelies, standing up in the pedals, etc.

DD is 3y6months. Today she got a pedal bike handmedown from a cousin. I could tell after she sat on it that within 3 days she'd be riding it. Well, it only took a few passes. She was riding independently down the street without training wheels only a few hours after it made its way to us (and only after a few tries).

I know several others have had similar experiences so I thought I'd share our happy moment of the day for anyone contemplating buying one.

WatchingThemGrow
07-07-2010, 10:35 PM
:cheerleader1: Yay, sweet girl! Way to go!! I wish she and DD could ride together! Does she shriek with delight while riding? Our neighbors all look out to see WTH is going on outside, lol.

Ok, so what's your thought on this one... DS1 (2.5) has been flying on the balance bike for several months now. He turns this way and that way, flies down the streets with his feet up/out, brings them down gently like a plane landing (hilarious) to stop. He is screaming for the green spider bike (12" Hotrock) at the local bike shop near WSM. I mean, still talking about it 2 mos after being on it one night... Do you think it would be just silly and dangerous to get it or some 12" with pedals for him? What's the earliest rider you've heard about?

DrSally
07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
YEah!! Awesome!

christiedavid3
07-08-2010, 11:48 AM
:cheerleader1: that's awesome!!!! DS adores his balance bike (Strider)!

brittone2
07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks everyone! DD is so proud of herself :) It has been so fun to see her just take off on the thing!

WTG-we are doing well here, but I do miss NC dearly. Sigh. I wish our DDs could ride together as well. They'd have a blast.

I am stumped on the earliest I've heard of a kid on a pedal bike. I know the BBB has had quite a few 3.5 yos pedal successfully after using a BB (like your own DD, right?). Can he pedal a trike yet? If so, I dunno, but it might be possible. My DD is very athletic and coordinated IMO, and I think she could have done it even earlier given the opportunity. I would say by 3 might not be impossible. You'll have to keep me updated on what you decide...seeing a little 3yo or younger on a pedal bike would make people's jaws drop LOL!!!