PDA

View Full Version : Public Toilet Phobia

TonFirst
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
So, my daughter has been mostly PT'd for about a month now. She rarely has pee accidents - maybe once every couple of weeks - and we're working on poop. In the meantime, she now refuses to go to the potty anywhere other than her little Baby Bjorn potty at home. She wears diapers during naps and at night, but only until we run out.

The culprit? The damned automatic flushers at the science museum, where we spent the afternoon on Father's Day. The stupid things flushed repeatedly every time she tried to go, and she was TERRIFIED. It didn't dawn on me until our third try to cover the eye with some toilet paper, but by then, it was too late.

We're now at the point where she won't go ANYWHERE other than the potty at home, and now, she won't even use the toilet, just the plastic potty. I am incredibly frustrated - she had an awful poop accident at the Y this afternoon and I about went Mommy Dearest. She knew she had to go, I knew she had to go, and when I tired to put her on the toilet, she went rigid and would not sit on the toilet for anything. I am at a complete loss. Her bladder control is impressive - but COME ON. She needs to use other toilets.

I'm going to put the Bjorn potties away tonight - we have one upstairs and one downstairs - and tell her that they're taking a break and she needs to use the big potty. Does anyone have any other advice? I am beyond frustrated and really don't want this fear to get any worse than it is.

WatchingThemGrow
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
For new learners, I vote for taking the potty with you in the car. We have a bjorn potty that lives in our car - with some other necessities. When going to a place like a museum, we will go early or set aside time to use the car potty before leaving the car and as soon as we get back to the car. When we go to the next place...same thing...as soon as we park, and right when we get back to the car.

I wouldn't push/withold what she's used to as that may make her revolt. She'll likely get over the phobia as she gets more confident and sees you go.