PDA

View Full Version : I think I might be in labor...

sunnyside
07-08-2010, 12:15 AM
It's a strange feeling. My parents were here and I couldn't wait for them to leave. I have been really agitated with them around the last few days and it is worse today. I'm able to relax a bit more now that I'm here by myself, and just wondering how to tell which contractions are more like BH and which ones are more like real contractions...

goldenpig
07-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Start timing them. Real contractions are more regular and start getting stronger and more frequent. I think you'll know when you're really in labor.
Good luck! Have a safe and smooth delivery!

AnnieW625
07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
With my first pregnancy I was 4/1/2cm dialated and had no clue until the dr. measured me so four days later when I was having contractions that were most likely Braxton Hicks I thought they were the real thing. Make a long story short, admitted to the hospital at 5 cm., in hospital for 5 hrs. and thinking labor has stalled, had my water broken, 3 hrs. later still stalled, got pitocin, had baby four hours later. DD1 was 12 days early.

With DD2 I started having BHs three days before I went to the hospital when my water broke. I hadn't had a single real contraction at home. I looked on webmd and it explained real vs. BH contractions, which helped a bit explain the two.

Both times I felt like I had to pee the entire day before I actually gave birth.

sunnyside
07-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Thanks you guys!

My doula thinks some of the contractions are regular and not BH, but a lot of them are still BH. I had a similar sensation last night and then woke up a few times in the night with the more intense one, but slept in between...

At yesterdays appt. I was 70% effaced and 1.5 cm dilated..

The contractions that feel real really feel like they wrap around really tightly and are a ton of pressure like menstrual cramps both in the front and in the back... They're really hard to time though because they actually seem like they don't go all the way away but go in waves. I think I'm going to try to sleep some and see what tomorrow brings (*or I guess tonite LOL!)!

elektra
07-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Sounds like it could be it! Good luck. :)

ivegotayen
07-08-2010, 03:30 AM
exciting!

I'm 1 cm and 60% effaced myself. I *think* I've been having some BH and maybe some *really* light real ctx periodically. Sun/Mon it was just a 2-3 times in a day, Tues a little more often and today yet more often -- but so mild they're barely detectable.

In my Bradley Childbirth class they advised us to do the following things to determine if we're in labor:

- Eat
- Drink
- Shower
- Walk
- Nap

We're taught that if labor is in full swing, you'll still be having regular contractions even during/after doing the activities above. If you're having prelabor or false labor, contractions will fade away or become less regular with these activities.

All the best to you! You might be meeting your baby soon! :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Fantastic!!! Keep us posted!!! :)

Beth

WolfpackMom
07-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Both times I felt like I had to pee the entire day before I actually gave birth.

:yeahthat: By the time labor was in full swing I was peeing every 5 minutes it seemed from the pressure of the baby coming down. Real contractions are like you said with that wrapping feeling and waves. Good luck, hopefully you will be saying :waving4:to baby soon!

elizabethkott
07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Oooooh! Goody goody! Hopefully this is it!
Good luck, mama! :D

TwinFoxes
07-08-2010, 11:35 AM
OMG! Any news! This is so exciting. :banana:

teedeedee
07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
:yeahthat: By the time labor was in full swing I was peeing every 5 minutes it seemed from the pressure of the baby coming down. Real contractions are like you said with that wrapping feeling and waves. Good luck, hopefully you will be saying :waving4:to baby soon!

Me too! Funny, I had completely forgotten that until I read this!

swissair81
07-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I have the worst urinary retention when I'm in labor. I needed to cathed 2 out of 3 times. Hugely annoying.

AnnieW625
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I have the worst urinary retention when I'm in labor. I needed to cathed 2 out of 3 times. Hugely annoying.

I was cathed with DD2 in case I needed to have an epidural because of pitocin (didn't need the pit:)). Turned out I didn't so as soon as I started pushing I wanted the thing out! It was hugely annoying!

swissair81
07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I was cathed with DD2 in case I needed to have an epidural because of pitocin (didn't need the pit:)). Turned out I didn't so as soon as I started pushing I wanted the thing out! It was hugely annoying!

They didn't put one in and leave it. They put the catheter in to drain the urine & removed it. It was keeping the head from moving down. Also, this was without an epidural. It burned so badly, you wouldn't believe.