PDA

View Full Version : My Head is Hurting

lhafer
07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
So the family (myself, DH, DD - 4 yrs old, and DD - 9 months old at time of the trip) will be making our way to Disney the week after Thanksgiving. We plan on staying Nov 27-Dec 5th.

We have Hilton points that we can use (right now it's 4 nights of points, and we get to upgrade to a suite for free). So the other 4 nights would be on us at a rate of $139/night.

I am trying to figure out which Hilton to stay at. I currently have a room booked at the Downtown location, but have been hearing such good things about the Bonnet Creek location, that I am having second thoughts. The reasons I like the DTD location are: they offer EMH to guests, they have character breakfast on Sundays, and it's within walking distance to DTD. Should I look into booking at BC instead??

We would have to pay for all food OOP going this route. I know that's going to be expensive. Plus paying for the tickets. So far staying at the Hilton for 9 days/ 8 nights, round trip airfair, 3 character meals, and park tickets to all 4 parks for 6 days is $2,500. Plus the cost of food and souvenirs for the remainder of the time. I am guessing total will be ~$3,000-$3,500 after all is said and done.

I know there's a free dining plan that's been extended into December. But it's for a shorter stay. The kids eat and play for free offer is through October. I am at a loss as to where to stay. Would staying at a Value or Moderate be better?

I am so tired of crunching numbers and trying to find the best deal. Can someone PLEASE :bowdown: help me figure this out!! :help:

Tinkerbell313
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I know there's a free dining plan that's been extended into December. But it's for a shorter stay. The kids eat and play for free offer is through October. I am at a loss as to where to stay. Would staying at a Value or Moderate be better?

:

The website just gives an example of a 5 night/6 day stay. However, you can extend it for a period up to 14 days.

Tinkerbell313
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I just priced it our for you on the Disney website for you, DH, DD4, and DD 9 months. There is no charge for your youngest DD as she is an infant.

I priced out Nov. 27th to Dec. 5th including 9 day park tickets (non park hopper) and free dining.

Moderate which includes the basic Dining Plan (1 snack, 1 counter service, 1 table service per day per person on the plan)

Disney POR-Riverside Standard View is $2,144.83.
CBR is the same price

Values which include the quick service plan (2 counter services, 2 snacks per day; 1 resort refillable mug per person on the plan)

All Star Music $1547.57

You can upgrade to the basic dining plan at All Star and the new price would be $1723.57. (you are just paying the difference between the two plans).

I realize you were looking at a 6 day ticket...but the difference between a 6 and nine day is nominal. For example, if you got a 6 day park ticket instead of 9...the new moderate package price would be $2116.08...only a $28 difference.

For Values, people seem to like Pop Century...the FD promo may be booked for your dates.

Tinkerbell313
07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
One more thing I forgot to mention...the end of your week is the beginning of Pop Warner Football week at DW. I beleive it starts Dec. 4th...however, I am not sure when the teams arrive. I have never been...but there are always lots of discussions on the DisBoards about how loud the kids are at the resorts. I don't think they have announced what hotels Pop Warner is using. I don't believe Pop Warner affects the parks...just the noise level and crowd level at certain hotels increase.

lhafer
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I just priced it our for you on the Disney website for you, DH, DD4, and DD 9 months. There is no charge for your youngest DD as she is an infant.

I priced out Nov. 27th to Dec. 5th including 9 day park tickets (non park hopper) and free dining.

Moderate which includes the basic Dining Plan (1 snack, 1 counter service, 1 table service per day per person on the plan)

Disney POR-Riverside Standard View is $2,144.83.
CBR is the same price

Values which include the quick service plan (2 counter services, 2 snacks per day; 1 resort refillable mug per person on the plan)

All Star Music $1547.57

You can upgrade to the basic dining plan at All Star and the new price would be $1723.57. (you are just paying the difference between the two plans).

I realize you were looking at a 6 day ticket...but the difference between a 6 and nine day is nominal. For example, if you got a 6 day park ticket instead of 9...the new moderate package price would be $2116.08...only a $28 difference.

For Values, people seem to like Pop Century...the FD promo may be booked for your dates.

Thank you so much!! I would be looking to stay at a Moderate if I went the on property route. I know POR (port Orleans resort) right? What is CBR? The Carribean one? What about Coronado Springs? Is that one good?

lhafer
07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh, and for my dates, there are some black out dates for the FD plan, so I would have to pony up $$ for the days not offered.

billysmommy
07-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh, and for my dates, there are some black out dates for the FD plan, so I would have to pony up $$ for the days not offered.

Typically you are covered for up to 14 days of the FD as long as you check in before the black out dates. So if the black-out dates are in the middle of your stay, you would still be on the plan for those.

Tinkerbell313
07-08-2010, 08:08 PM

As long as FD promo is offered the day you check in, you keep it for the entire trip. So,no, you would not have to come up with money on the black out days.

Tinkerbell313
07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I have only stayed at CBR...Carribean Beach Resort...we liked it. We had a standard room (as opposed to a preferred room, which costs more money, but is guaranteed to be near the Food Court and the Main pool.). However, we stayed in Aruba which was right near the bridge that brought us over to the food court/main pool. Our room was actually closer to the food court than some of the preferred rooms. We requested our room (requests are just that...they are requests...they are not guaranteed unless you pay for a preferred room in the preferred section or a water view room, etc)

We liked the greenery and flowers all around the resort. The kids loved the main pool with the pirate ship and slides. We especially like the younger kid pool which is fenced off from the main larger pool. The younger child pool is a zero entry/depth pool. It is perfect for your 4 year old. They have life jackets at the pools for the kids. Also, its great for your infant daughter, as you can sit with her at the outer edges of the pool.

The bus system was more than adequate for us...and got us to the parks in 15 minutes or less. CBR does not share its busses with other resorts.

Unfortunately, I can not speak about the other resorts since I have not stayed at any of the others. Sorry!!

Tinkerbell313
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Coronado Springs is the only moderate that has queen size beds. All other moderates have doubles. Another thing to think about.

lhafer
07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I still think we are going to stick with the Hilton. My sister and her husband may be joining us for at least part of this trip, and they also have Hilton points they can use. It would be nice to be able to stay in the same location.

Some have told me that with small children, the DTD hilton is more convenient to DTD (shops, food, etc). But that's it's dated, more business like, and more "chaotic". But this site offers EMH and character breakfasts on Sundays.

The Bonnet Creek keeps getting seriously rave reviews. It's closer to Epcot from what I understand, and would still have to use buses to get around. It's brand new, and very nice. Great pools with a lazy river. NO access to EMH and no character dining.

With young children, would you rather stay in a more dated hotel that is within walking distance to DTD, with EMH (which would come in handy on a couple of nights), and has character dining?

Or would you prefer staying in a new hotel, gorgeous grounds, great pools, closer to the theme parks (but still is a bus ride) that's getting TONS of awesome reviews?

Both are Hiltons.

egoldber
07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
At either location, I would plan to rent a car. Weekly sedan rental in Orlando are usually < $150 for a week.

If you think you plan to use the resort amenities a lot, I would stay at the Bonnet. If not, I would stay at the location closer to DTD.

FWIW, I think the Bonnet is very centrally located. It is very close to Epcot and DHS. It is very close to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. It is also quite close to the west side of DTD, but not walkable.

If you Google map it you will see it is right beside CBR.

egoldber
07-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Also, if you stay at the Hilton, you can use the Disney buses at DTD as a primary means of transport if you like.

fivi2
07-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I would also think about whether or not you will use the EMH. There are two schools of thought - some people love them, some avoid them thinking they make the park more crowded overall. Also, with young kids will you be using the late night EMH? Will you be able to rush everyone out the door in the morning to get to the early ones?

If you have a car, as egoldberg suggested, it doesn;t seem like transportation will be an issue either way.

Does your 4 yo like swimming? For my girls (4 yo), the resort pool was as exciting as the parks (sometimes more exciting), but my girls love swimming.

We have never been to DTD, so no help there. What about food at the hotels?

I have never seen either, so I shouldn't be posting, just throwing out some things to think about!

lhafer
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

I think we have worked out something that's going to be the best of both worlds.

The first 4 nights of our stay we will stay at Hilton DTD using our Hilton points. That way we can use their character breakfast our first morning there and use EMH hours that night for Hollywood Studios (want to use them for the Osborn Lights).

Then the last 4 nights we will move to Bonnet Creek. That way we can see both resorts, and get the best of everything!

We will look into a car. Not sure about it though because that would mean toting 2 car seats on the plane, etc.

DebbieJ
07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't let the character dining effect your decision. There are LOTS of character dining options in the hotels and parks and they ALL require advance reservations.

lhafer
07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't let the character dining effect your decision. There are LOTS of character dining options in the hotels and parks and they ALL require advance reservations.

I already have 3 booked. Just thought this one would be super convenient.

egoldber
07-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I would really try to get a sense of what the bus service is like from Bonnet to and from the parks before deciding to rely on it exclusively. Maybe look on disboards.com to see what the wait times and drive time for their transport is really like. I have heard (but not personally experienced) that the buses often go between multiple hotels, take a long time and do not run very often. Everyone I know who has stayed at a non-WDW hotel and has a rental car always rents one the next time. Something to check out anyway. :)

ETA: A quick Google search is showing a lot of discontentment with the bus service, especially in the middle of the day.

lhafer
07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
At either location, I would plan to rent a car. Weekly sedan rental in Orlando are usually < $150 for a week.

If you think you plan to use the resort amenities a lot, I would stay at the Bonnet. If not, I would stay at the location closer to DTD.

FWIW, I think the Bonnet is very centrally located. It is very close to Epcot and DHS. It is very close to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. It is also quite close to the west side of DTD, but not walkable.

If you Google map it you will see it is right beside CBR.

The rental car would be ~$150/week, but I would also have to include cost of parking at the hotel and the parks. All together it will run me about $250.

DebbieJ
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
If you stay at a WDW resort, parking is free at the parks. And I believe the resort parking is free (at least we didn't pay at CSR last month).

egoldber
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes, resort parking is free.

I would read through the reports on the buses at Bonnet Creek, some of them are pretty scathing.