PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of unexpected visitors...

Corie
07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
We've been in our new house since June 18th.

Why do all my relatives feel it's okay to randomly stop
by and want a tour of the house?

It's not like you haven't seen me lately. We've been
in corporate housing since mid-April.

Could you just give me a few weeks of uninterrupted
unpacking time? I promise to invite you all over once
we're unpacked and everything is put up. I want the
stacks of boxes gone. Please! Let me have the pleasure
of inviting you over to a clean, box-free, picked-up, put-away,
freshly-painted house.

DrSally
07-08-2010, 10:21 PM
If they come, are they at least bearing casseroles, tea towels, tasty jams, handsoaps, and other types of housewarming gifts? I love to give housewarming gifts, but rarely get them in return.

happymom
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Ugh. I kow how you feel. I don't generally mind unexpected visitors- to the usually clean main level of my home. But unexpected tours of the entire house- including my bedroom etc- those I detest!!

We recently renovated the entire house and everyone who comes over wants a tour. We had friends over for lunch on Saturday along with DH's family. These friends have never seen our renovated upstairs. While I was in the kitchen, they asked DH if they could "take a tour". DH feels weird saying no (I understand), so he took them up. 2 minutes later I walk out ofthe kitchen and noone is in the living room! There were about 14 people touring my upstairs! And I was totally unprepared for it!!! Oh well. It wasnt THAT messy...and everyone understands.

All that to say I understand how you feel! I would also want to be fully unpacked and set up before giving a tour! Although now you have an excuse for any mess...still unpacking! I don't have an excuse :)

MamaMolly
07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Ah, I know how to fix this one. BTDT with international moves. When people drop by they get the tour and then are promptly handed a box cutter and are told to put the contents of box X into cupboard Y. Or even better, they are handed your kids and YOU go unpack.

It works! You will get boxes unpacked and the visitors will dry up in no time! Seriously though, most people are actually happy to help, they just need to be told what to do. Good luck!

infomama
07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Hate the pop in for so many reasons.

Minnifer
07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I absolutely agree that I'm not a fan of the pop-in, but I'm very envious that you have relatives who want to drop in like that! I have a miniscule family (mom and brother) that is not local and I'd love to have a lot of people in my life (including more friends), even if they did annoying things like that, lol.

alien_host
07-09-2010, 12:15 AM
I hate the drop ins but at least with moving you have an excuse as to why you have a bunch of stuff in the wrong place/not put away...unlike me who just constantly has stuff all over the place and no excuse! :)

I know what you mean though, it's nice for your home to be "set up" for the first time someone sees your home.

billysmommy
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
That would drive me crazy too!!!

Melaine
07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I hate the drop ins but at least with moving you have an excuse as to why you have a bunch of stuff in the wrong place/not put away...unlike me who just constantly has stuff all over the place and no excuse! :)

I know what you mean though, it's nice for your home to be "set up" for the first time someone sees your home.

SOOOOoooo true. I hate drop-ins even then we have been moved in for about 5 years.

Badi Bahu
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Definitely not a fan of the drop in, in general. I don't mind a rare, unannounced visit--it can be a pleasure, but my parents-in-law just don't get it. And I know they never will. They don't even get it when my husband and I explain to them what our needs are and how we would appreciate more notice on things. (For instance, we have a very handy method for planning meals and grocery shopping. We prefer to plan a week out. That doesn't mean we'll be sticks in the mud if someone invites us over for dinner the next day or something, but his parents constantly seem offended and angry when we turn them down to come over RIGHT NOW to eat--and sometimes we're already in the middle of preparing our own dinner!).

DebbieJ
07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
make them help you unpack!

Elilly
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I feel this way about unexpected guests even without a new house!