PDA

View Full Version : Baby just began night-waking... help!

weech
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
My three month old has been sleeping through the night since he was 5 weeks old :yay: He's never really had trouble sleeping at night. He would typically go to bed around 8 or 8:30 and sleep until 5:30 or 6.

Recently, (the day I went back to work, actually), he's started waking up between 3:30 and 4:15a every morning and doesn't really want to go back to sleep. What happened? Is that normal? The only thing that changed is that I went back to work, so he's with his nanny during the day instead of me. Since he's slept through the night for so long, it doesn't seem like he'd need to eat at 4am, and I don't want to encourage the night waking.

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to sleep a little later? Or at least go back to sleep after waking up at 4a?

TIA!

BabyBearsMom
07-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Your baby could be going through a growth spurt. Feeding your baby won't encourage night wakings, your baby is still a little young to be picking up habits. My DD is also 3 months and sometimes she will go weeks sleeping through the nights and then will wake up at night for a few nights in a row, but then goes back to sleeping through the nights. I have heard that most babies aren't going to consistently sleep through the night until they are at least 14 weeks old and 14 pounds. I doubt the change has anything to do with you going back to work.

swrc00
07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I agree with the PP it could be because of a growth spurt. Is is possible DS is sleeping more during the day with the nanny than when you were home with him?