PDA

View Full Version : (Blush): Contractions after intimacy?

bostonsmama
07-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Ummm...so embarrassed to ask, but has anyone ever gotten BH contractions after being intimate while pregnant? My uterus did a really uncomfortable clenching (abdomen got rock hard & I felt achey) for 45 seconds off and on for about 5 minutes following...ya know. I rolled onto my left side and tried to relax/deep breathe. It just worried me is all. It's the first time it's happened, even though it went away.

SnuggleBuggles
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM
At the end of pg it is is one of the things to help induce things because every so often the big "o" can start contractions. Usually the sex is for the semen which ripens the cervix but doesn't induce labor.

"The expert answers
Orgasms cause the uterus to contract, sometimes with great intensity, lasting for one-half to one hour after intercourse. Contractions are more frequent as the due date approaches, but may be present in the early second trimester. In general, these contractions do not result in a change in the cervical dilatation or effacement.

If contractions persist for more than an hour after intercourse, or if there is an increase in pelvic pressure or heavy vaginal bleeding, you should contact your caregiver immediately."
http://pregnancyandbaby.sheknows.com/pregnancy/baby/Are-orgasms-safe-during-pregnancy-159.htm

Beth

bostonsmama
07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Beth. That's very helpful.

So, in your well-researched opinion, couples don't need to wear condoms to avoid the prostaglandins in sperm softening the cervix too early??

SnuggleBuggles
07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Unless told otherwise, I wouldn't bother. I don't even think much of the whole cervical ripening powers to begin with though...I think they are minimal.

Beth

ewpmsw
07-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Ummm...so embarrassed to ask, but has anyone ever gotten BH contractions after being intimate while pregnant? My uterus did a really uncomfortable clenching (abdomen got rock hard & I felt achey) for 45 seconds off and on for about 5 minutes following...ya know. I rolled onto my left side and tried to relax/deep breathe. It just worried me is all. It's the first time it's happened, even though it went away.

Have noticed this with both pregnancies and it always seems to be just BH.

sariana
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Not to scare you, but my DH returned from being away for 2 weeks when I was at 29 1/2 weeks with #1. The next morning, I had slightly bloody discharge. Blood after sex is not abnormal for me at any time, but I called my Ob just to be safe, and he said go to the ER (it was Saturday). I sighed, thinking we were going to get charged $50 for using the ER.

Well, I was having contractions only a few minutes apart. I couldn't feel a thing. I was in preterm labor and had to get pumped full of several unpleasant things to stop my labor. DS was born 2 1/2 weeks later (32 weeks). (He's fine now, BTW, turned 6 on Wednesday.)

So I would definitely talk to your Ob about what you experienced. With #2 I started to feel "weird" at about 21 weeks and was put on bed rest. Needless to say, intimate activity was suspended. DD was born just shy of 36 weeks, perfectly healthy.

Why take any chances?

daisymommy
07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Ah yeah, that's normal :) It is also true that when you are near the end of your pregnancy and your cervix is already starting to get geared up for dilation, that semen can soften it up so it can further dilate. It is the natural form of Cervadil (the medication suppository inserted to ripen your cervix when your Dr. tries to induce you).

FWIW...with all 3 kids when I was near my due date, sex 2-3 days before hand helped get the show on the road :) #1 and #2 were born on their due date, Andrew was a week late and took a "few attempts" to get labor started ;)

fortato
07-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Totally normal... that's not to say that it didn't freak me out when it happened.

And! Congratulations on being halfway through!!!! Go Larissa!!

OctoberMommy2010
07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I had the same thing happen, coupled w/a lot of bloody discharge - and we were out of town, go figure. DH was petrified (I practically had to beg him to have sex in the first place.) He was so nervous about something going wrong. I say, "Don't Be Embarassed" because I wrote my new Mommy friend on FB to ask her if she had ever experienced that... I hit "Reply to All" on her latest thread by accident and asked about 5 of her other close friends (that I don't know.) Now that's cause for embarassment! :bag

DrSally
07-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I didn't know you were back! Congratulations!

swissair81
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Beth. That's very helpful.

So, in your well-researched opinion, couples don't need to wear condoms to avoid the prostaglandins in sperm softening the cervix too early??

If there is a reason to be concerned, your Dr or CNM will prescribe full pelvic rest. Not just a condom. Just no sex at all. I wasn't allowed to for 90% of my 2nd trimester.