PDA

View Full Version : Costco Pulled Pork leftovers?

fauve01
07-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I found out about the Costco Pulled pork from this board, and we loved it. I served it sauceless and we made burritos--pork, black beans, salsa, cheese, rolled up in a burrito.

Now I'm wondering what to do with the leftovers? DD isn't that fond of sauce, so I'm not really wanting to just dump a bottle of BBQ sauce on it in the crockpot (although i might do that to some of it for DH and me).

can i freeze it?

thanks for any ideas...

Anne

wallawala
07-10-2010, 06:31 PM
We love that stuff too.

We freeze it in portions after opening a pack for a meal as it's just tooo much meat for our little family. I sometimes defrost in microwave, today I was a little more prepared and transferred it to the fridge last night.

Actually defrosting a chunk for tonight. I always do mini-barbeque sliders with it (on the Hawaiian Sweet bread mini rolls).... looks like I need to branch out and try burritos too!

DrSally
07-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Does it come precooked? What section?

wallawala
07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Pre-cooked, refrigerated, usually in the open cooler of meats (ours is right next to the walk-in cooler of fruit/vegs). Directions are to cut slits in the vacum pack plastic bag and nuke for about 5 min. You can heat any way you want though if nuking and plastic make you nervous.

Square brown paper sleeve. About 2lbs for $10.

I used to make a killer pulled pork recipe that's ridiculously easy from Martha Stewart that uses pork tenderloin... I've had soooo many compliments on.... this is even better, often cheaper, and less messy... I've completely switched.

Really good. Slightly smokey. NO SAUCE so you can pick your own (and gluten free). Just... real.... meat....

:yay:

DrSally
07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
That sounds great. I'm putting it on the list for next time. I love that it doesn't have sauce.

bigpassport
07-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I love pulled pork on green salad. You can mix the pork with with bbq sauce or not. I make the green salad with shredded carrots, tomatoes, and a little shredded cheddar cheese and use ranch dressing. Yummy!

jgenie
07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Does anyone have a package handy? I would love to have the actual name on the package. I can never seem to find the recommended items at Costco. TIA

DrSally
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
That also sounds so good stir fried with some cabbage and soy sauce and put in some lettuce wraps!!

trentsmom
07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Does anyone have a package handy? I would love to have the actual name on the package. I can never seem to find the recommended items at Costco. TIA

Here ya go! http://addictedtocostco.com/2010/01/09/this-week-at-costco-january-3-2010/

jgenie
07-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Here ya go! http://addictedtocostco.com/2010/01/09/this-week-at-costco-january-3-2010/

Thanks!!!

alien_host
07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I've never gotten the pulled pork from costco but when I make my own we just have BBQ sauce on it and serve it on a crusty bread or just on the plate with sides of mac and cheese, baked beans and/or cornbread. In the summer sometimes I serve potato salad with it.

joules
07-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I love pulled pork on green salad. You can mix the pork with with bbq sauce or not. I make the green salad with shredded carrots, tomatoes, and a little shredded cheddar cheese and use ranch dressing. Yummy!

I do something similar. For my bbq salad, my 3 key ingredients are:
1. BBQ ranch dressing (mix some bbq sauce with some ranch)
2. Crushed Fritos - add in right before serving or else they get soggy!! (don't need a lot, this really *makes* the salad...hmmm DS doesn't eat solids yet, so I'm not sure if this is a choking hazard or not)
3. Lettuce (of course)

Then I throw in whatever's on hand for the rest of the salad: carrots, tomatoes, eggs, cheese, cucumbers, corn, jicama, chicken/pork, etc..

For family get togethers this always goes fast...and I have to keep an extra portion or two hidden away so my nephew can take it home with him - he LOVES this salad...and he usually doesn't like salad!

jenrub
09-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I would just add enough Kansas City BBQ sauce from Trader Joe's onto the pulled pork in a saucepan until it's mixed in. Put a portion on a hamburger bun (coleslaw on top for DH since I don't like coleslaw) and you have pulled pork sandwiches.

DrSally
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I've gotten this about 3 times now, based on the suggestion here. The first 2 were divine, this last one was a bit tough and dry. The first 2 were very moist and flavorful on their own. I felt like I *had* to add sauce to this last one. Has anyone had this experience?