PDA

View Full Version : Need new dishwasher get white or stainless?

elektra
07-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I want stainless. When we redo our kitchen someday, I think we will want all stainless appliances. I guess that is unless trends change by the time we redo our kitchen, which would be in 5 years minimum. Probably longer.
So right now all our appliances are white and around 10 years old. We've already had our (white) fridge repaired twice, but I think it's probably time to just replace the dishwasher. Everything has a white residue and the stuff just does not get clean anymore.

So my question is, should we get stainless exterior even though the other appliances are white?

bubbaray
07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I would get what will match your current appliances. DW's don't last all that long, so if you replaced it in 5 yrs, no biggie....

HTH

willow33
07-10-2010, 08:04 PM
We are in the same situation. We close on our new house next week and the sellers are giving us $500 back at closing towards a new dishwasher (the current one leaks). All the appliances are white, but I really want stainless. We are not ready to switch out all the other appliances right now either. Ugh....decisions, decisions!!

TwinFoxes
07-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd go stainless. When we moved in, we got a credit to buy a new DW. I got stainless even though everything else was white. I then realized I hated the stove, so we replaced that, even though it wasn't part of the plan. We got stainless. Our white refrigerator is looking awfully nervous lately ;) Basically, if I hadn't gotten the stainless DW, I'd have been kicking myself when it was time to replace the stove.

ETA: for the short period of time we had the stainless DW and white everything else, it didn't look bad. Maybe because it was on a different wall of the kitchen?

egoldber
07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I think either white or stainless would be OK. When we moved into this house, there was a mixture of white (dishwasher, fridge) and black (wall ovens and cooktop). We now have stainless (dishwasher, fridge, and cooktop) and black wall ovens. I think stainless coordinates well with other colors.

ETA: What dishwasher are you looking at? We are about to replace ours as well. It's almost 9 years old and need several minor repairs.

elektra
07-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Well we went with a white bosch. Beth, I went back and did a lot of searching here, read online reviews, in addition to looking in person to arrive at the bosch decision. The white was also a way to get my husband to get a more basic model (if you call $599 basic!). He would have wanted something more high end if we went with what we eventually want with the stainless. So if our fridge holds up for at least another 5 years then I think the white will have been the right move. But if it dies soon I will be kicking myself for not getting th stainless DW. Doing an entire appliance overhaul is just not in the budget right now ( I wish though!) and we have a very nice range (dacor). Ideally wr can go big in 5 or so years and replace everything.

llama8
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM
If you redo your kitchen 5 years down the road with SS, the dishwasher you buy now may actually look dated and worn by then and you may need to replace it anyway. If you never redo your kitchen (who knows what life brings) you then have mismatched appliances.

I may be in the minority, but I like white appliances better than stainless steel. The fingerprints on stainless steel would drive me crazy. I would match what you currently have (white).

hillview
07-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I like white (have had SS in 2 other places) white looks and stays clean.
/hillary

blisstwins
07-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I really don't get the SS love (just personal preference issue). I think it looks dark and cold. I have white and think it is one of the few colors that does not look dated (brown, avacado, etc).

HannaAddict
07-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I go with stainless. Never any problems with fingerprints, if we get one, just wipe it off. White looks cheaper and more dated or at least that is the perception in our locale. I'm really curious if and when stainless will not be the default higher end finish, what will be the next "in" thing. I don't see white or black coming back any time soon. If you want something reliable and inexpensive though and won't be upset at possibly replacing it when you remodel, then white might make sense. Sound/noise is a big deal for us too and the Bosch and Miele are the best on that front in our experience.

ETA: just saw that you went with the Bosch, I bet you will love it! They are super quiet and we have been surprised at how loud some other high end dw's were in houses/condos we recently stayed (Kitchenaid, Jenn-Air, F & P dish drawers).

citymama
07-12-2010, 04:30 AM
I would go with stainless for sure. We're house hunting right now and the kitchens with stainless appliances look so much more attractive - even if some of the appliances are white or black.

elektra
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I would go with stainless for sure. We're house hunting right now and the kitchens with stainless appliances look so much more attractive - even if some of the appliances are white or black.

Gah!
No one is allowed to respond anymore if they think stainless was the way to go here, since I now have a white dishwasher sitting in my kitchen. ;)

I'll be sure to post pics in 5 years when I have my awesome new stainless steel kitchen though. Seriously, it's going to be magazine worthy. :)