PDA

View Full Version : Can't get into Fantasmic Dining Package - is it worth the 90 minute wait?

funafmommy
07-10-2010, 08:21 PM
We are going to Disney in September and I tried to book the Fantasmic Dining Package but there were none available for the dates we will be there. Our group will have 6 children, all 4 and under. The best part of the package for me was that you got VIP passes and seating which considerably reduced your wait time (especially crucial with the 4 & under impatience level). The sites and guidebooks I see say that you should go and line up 90 minutes before the show starts if you dont have the VIP passes. For those of you who have waited for the show and seen it, I am wondering a few things -

1. Is the show worth a 90-minute wait, considering how impatient the kids will be?

2. Is there any way to have a few adults sit and do the wait, and have the other adults take the kids on rides during the wait, then meet up right before the show starts?

Thanks so much!!!
2. Is there any way to

Momof3Labs
07-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Fantasmic is actually a pretty scary show for the under 4yo set. I wouldn't even bother taking kids that small, whether you get the dinner package or decide to do the wait. Don't get me wrong, it's cool, but it features a whole slew of Disney villains.

egoldber
07-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree with Lori. I would not do Fantasmic with a child under 4. It is dark, there is fire and LARGE villains are a prominent part of the show.

But that being said we have ALWAYS walked into Fantasmic within 30 minutes of showtime and never had a problem getting a seat. In fact, a close seat is not even really that desirable (IMO) for Fantasmic because the very close seats get wet AND there is intense heat from the fire.

Momof3Labs
07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I should add that DS2 has been to Disney twice and DS1 has been there 4 times. Neither has ever seen Fantasmic, and it will probably stay that way for a while. Though I think that DS1 is finally at a point where he would enjoy it, but I know that DS2 would still be quite scared by it.

caribbeanmama
07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi!

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you or Beth were create a list of things to see and do at WDW, what would you put on that list, specifically for a 2, 5 and 7 year old. I know this is an extremely subjective question, but I am just overwhelmed. I wish someone would just give me a must do list. FWIW, my 7 year does not get scared too easily, but we try to keep things rather benign still. TIA.

egoldber
07-10-2010, 10:39 PM
There's a sticky on this forum at the top. But when you read it, you will see that many of us contradict each other. ;) One person's "must do" is another person's "pass".

With kids of varying ages and personalities, I think you will find that you will split up a lot. We do. Especially now that she is older, DH and older DD often go off to do thrill rides and experiences that younger DD is not tall enough for or not interested in. (Younger DD does not like fireworks or any ride that spins.) This splitting up is one reason I think that staying in a WDW hotel with the buses is helpful. I will often bus back to the resort with younger DD while DH and older DD stay for fireworks or to ride more rides. It makes things a lot more flexible for us.

As for Fantasmic, my younger DD saw it as an infant/very young toddler (she slept through it in my arms) but has not seen it since. My older DD first saw it at 4.5 and loves it. She does find it scary, but in a fun way.

DebbieJ
07-10-2010, 10:39 PM
We sat 3rd row center and the heat was pretty intense. We didn't get wet, though.

My 6.5 yo enjoyed it very much--although he was distracted by his glow necklaces and the friends we were with. :)

funafmommy
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the input. I am going to see if the Fantasmic show is on YouTube and watch it to get a better idea of if I think the kids would be scared.

caribbeanmama
07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks Beth. How did I miss that sticky? Must read it!

Momof3Labs
07-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi!

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you or Beth were create a list of things to see and do at WDW, what would you put on that list, specifically for a 2, 5 and 7 year old. I know this is an extremely subjective question, but I am just overwhelmed. I wish someone would just give me a must do list. FWIW, my 7 year does not get scared too easily, but we try to keep things rather benign still. TIA.

It also varies a lot by age - my 7yo's must-do list is much different than my 4yo's must-do list. We also split up a lot on our last trip for different rides and like staying onsite with the transportation options so that we can go back to the resort at different times.

JTsMom
07-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd skip it too. We went 2 years ago, walked in a few mins before it started, and ended up standing waaaay in the back. I don't recommend that. DS couldn't see anything unless we held him up. The crowd getting out was a PITA too.