PDA

View Full Version : Best (i.e. Largest) Carrier for a Big Daddy

lycos100
07-11-2010, 04:17 AM
I'm a large Dad (50" chest) and I'm looking for a carrier that is either really adjustable or specially made for larger people (moms or dads)

Our son is 5 months old & prefers to ride in the front!

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :20:

MommyofAmaya
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Calyx comes in a Large for a surcharge of $9.99. It is my favorite carrier and can be worn front or back.

http://www.mamabydesign.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=9

Smillow
07-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I am not a small person and we have 2 carriers an Ergo (with waist extender) & a toddler Patapum. I have mostly used the Ergo - very comfortable, very adjustable (it does take some trial & error to find the best strap adjustments. My DS is 16 months & I have been doing mostly back carries - I wore the Patapum yesterday for a back carry and I don't know if it was a function of improper adjustment or having breasts, but the buckles ended up under my arms & that was not very comfortable!
If there is some place you could try them on, that would be great, or narrow it down & then buy off ebay, that way, if you don't like it you could resell & recoup your $.

swissair81
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I think the Baby Hawk Mei Tais have an option to buy with XL straps.

wellyes
07-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I would definitely get a Mei Tai with XL straps. Very very versatile and comfortable. Lots of MT companies make them. BabyHawk is a good brand.

JacksMommy
07-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Sport ERGOs come with extra length at the shoulder and waist, plus you can get a waist extender to use as needed.

Mei tais with XL straps are also a good option!

lycos100
07-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks everyone, this is all helpful information!:rotflmao:

nabigus
07-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Chiming in belatedly:

My dh is a really big, tall guy. Even with the longer straps on, eg, the Egro sport, the carrier would cut right under his armpits because he's pretty barrel-chested. His favorite by far is a MT with XL straps.

If you're a sewer or know someone who is, I made my dh his own custom carrier, which is another option:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3204856706_e0ef2da1dd.jpg

crl
07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Can I hijack? I think dh would like a carrier that works for him. My pikkolo and freehand mei tei aren't big enough for him. I have an ergo and was thinking maybe that would work with a waist expander. But when I put dd, who is a BIG 3 1/2 month old in today, she was not happy. I think because the body of the ergo is taller so it pushes her head against my chest instead of allowing her to hold her own head up and look around.

I really think dh would prefer a buckle carrier--he liked the ergo with older ds. Any suggestions? So I guess I'm looking for a buckle carrier for a little baby and a big guy.

Thanks!

Catherine