PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln logs, Superstructs, Tinker Toys or Zoob??

sewarsh
07-11-2010, 11:08 AM
So these toys seem to be almost the same genre, right?
Which is your family's favorite of the 4? Thanks!!

molympic
07-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I dont know what superstructs are, but the other toys are all VERY difffrent. Lincoln Logs are easy to build with & easy to take apart since the stuff you build is not really connected tightly, just sort of laid one ontop of the other. The cabins & houses youbuild are quite realistic & do well for imaginative play with little horses & people figures. My 3 year old likes them & my 7 year old will sometimes make elaborate ranches & act out rodeos etc. Tinker toys are brightly colored & quite simple to put together. My 3 year old likes them, but doesn't really make actual "things" with it. The older children follow instructions & can make swings, ferris wheels etc. that work & are quite sturdy. I dont like the long sticks waved around by the younger ones-I always worry about eyes getting poked. Zoobs are the most difficult to put together. My children never make much on thier own, instead preferring to follow the instructions for beautiful elaborate creations. My 10 year old can spend a loooong time with the zoobs. I dont think my 3 year old has quite mastered it yet. Duplo is still the best choice for her.

rlu
07-12-2010, 12:25 AM
We have lincoln logs and tinker toys (all ebay finds). If DH is playing with DS, DS goes for the lincoln logs with DH helping; if DS is playing by himself, he pulls out the tinker toys.

Tondi G
07-12-2010, 12:52 AM
my boys (9 and 5) love their tinker toys. We have had Zoob since DS1 was 4 and they still get played with.... my now 5 year old just re-discovered the Zoob tub last week in fact!

They are all quite different ... well the superstructs and tinker toys are more similar.

hellbennt
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't know zoob- going to check it out!

tinker toys get no love here, lol! I'm about to give them away...
but, lincoln logs do (get love), mostly by ds, who is just about 7 (they've held his interest for a while now, maybe since he was 5?)...
HTH

christiedavid3
07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't know zoob- going to check it out!

tinker toys get no love here, lol! I'm about to give them away...
but, lincoln logs do (get love), mostly by ds, who is just about 7 (they've held his interest for a while now, maybe since he was 5?)...
HTH

Want to do a trade? I have a huge tin of Lincoln Logs that get no play (although DS is really young for them, maybe he'll like them more as get gets older). I've been considering tinker toys or Superstructs. We gave Superstructs as a 3 yo b-day gift a few weeks ago and DS seemed really interested in them.

Oh, I'm in Ft Lauderdale BTW :wavey:

swissair81
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I think superstructs look like tinker toys with gears. http://www.superstructs.com/ I've never seen them in person though. I don't have any lincoln logs either. My kids never seemed particularly interested.

I have a huge container of tinker toys that my mother got for the kids from Sam's Club.
I also have a basic container of zoob that I had to put away because DS likes to mouth them & the little ball on the end makes me nervous.

kristac
07-12-2010, 07:42 PM
We have superstructs. DS1 (5.5) enjoys them. He needs help to make any of the designs on the packaging though. They can at times be difficult to take apart (which can be a good thing since then your creations don't fall apart on thier own). I "think" they are compatable with tinker toys but I haven't tried them out together yet (still looking for a garage sale steal or something).
ETA: I like that superstructs can make more "realistic" items- trucks and such over tinker toys. I have also heard some people complain about tinker toys breaking- we have not had that issue with the superstructs though a few of the ends of the rods have cracked a bit but it does not affect thier function. Also keep in mind htat superstruct definately have some choking hazards- though probably all of the choices you listed do.
We have this set- looks like they changed the packaging and price is lower too:
http://www.amazon.com/Superstructs-504-BIG-Builder/dp/B000ASARKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278978394&sr=1-1
Ours came in a round container that is begining to have seen better days (2.5 years later). New packaging looks better. You might find some clerance prices on the old packaging though.